tipping mousekeeping

dvc_bwv

Pooh Collector - BWV & VWL Member
Just returned from 9 day vacation at BWV a few weeks ago. On the day of full cleaning I was in the room waiting for hubby to come back when mousekeeping came to the room. She came in and I went back to the living room so she could go about her business.

When she was going out with a handful of used towels, etc, she stopped and thanked me for the tip. (We always leave a tip and had left it out in case we were not there.) She was very nice and we talked a bit. I was then very surprised when she told me they don't get many tips anymore, "because of the economy" is what she told me.

We learned about tipping here on the DIS and we make a point to always leave a tip. I thought everyone (or at least most people) did. I was very shocked actually. If you own DVC and can afford to take your vacations at Disney (or anywhere else for that matter) I would think you could afford a few dollars tip for the person who provides you with a clean room.

Am I wrong? Is this not being done anymore? Whatever anyone else does we will always leave a tip.

Just returned from 9 day vacation at BWV a few weeks ago. On the day of full cleaning I was in the room waiting for hubby to come back when mousekeeping came to the room. She came in and I went back to the living room so she could go about her business.

When she was going out with a handful of used towels, etc, she stopped and thanked me for the tip. (We always leave a tip and had left it out in case we were not there.) She was very nice and we talked a bit. I was then very surprised when she told me they don't get many tips anymore, "because of the economy" is what she told me.

We learned about tipping here on the DIS and we make a point to always leave a tip. I thought everyone (or at least most people) did. I was very shocked actually. If you own DVC and can afford to take your vacations at Disney (or anywhere else for that matter) I would think you could afford a few dollars tip for the person who provides you with a clean room.

Am I wrong? Is this not being done anymore? Whatever anyone else does we will always leave a tip.

We definitely tip on our stays. It's not the same as when we stayed at non-DVC resorts simply b\c of their protocol. But we always leave, what I feel is a generous tip...at least if we get good service. But I agree with your sentiment. In the grand scheme of the cost, I'm certainly not going to trim what I spend in the mouse keeping area.

Ugh. Housekeeping is a non-tipped union position.

As dvc members, they only take out the trash on day 4 and clean on day 7. And they no-showed on both of those this last trip

On vacation, i ran the vacuum, washed the towels, and took out my own trash.

While i accept that its a timeshare, and its all our dues pay for....... I promise you i dont feel guilty in the least about not leaving a tip.

Disney and the Mousekeepers union agreed to increase their wages and not accept tips.

We don't tip at Disney because of this.

:earsboy: Bill

We joined DVC in 2004. We tip everybody. With the amount of money we spend a year at Disney, I figure a three or four hundred more in tips isn't going to be noticed.

My two cents.

Buzz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter