Tipping - resort staff

Your argument is against percentage tipping in general, which is the way it’s done in this country. Restaurants that are more expensive will result in higher tips for servers, which will attract a better, more stable wait staff.

but this is the root of the whole argument of how arbitrary and ridiculous tipping is.

the worst server at an expensive server will make more than the best server at a ‘cheap‘ restaurant. Should tipping be based on percentages? Should it based on work? We went to tusker house for breakfast last trip and our server made 50$ in mandatory tip. Service was ok. Nothing spectacular. When we went to restrauntasaurus for dinner the CM running back and forth traying the food got nothing. That person worked way harder.

many arguments for tipping:

they don’t make much money
ok so why don’t we tip at MacDonald’s? what about home depot? Best Buy?

they work hard and deserve it
everybody works hard. Everybody deserves more money

the job they have is really hard
Doctors have really hard jobs. So do pilots. What about firefighters and police officers?

the job is gross and no one else would do it
what about the janitor at a school? The person that unclogs toilets and mops up puke. If you don’t have kids what about a janitor at a mall? Department store, etc.

the worker takes care of us and our needs
what about teachers? They look after our kids all day and teach them
Nurses? They have a hard and gross job. Both of these are grossly underpaid for what They do. No tipped position anywhere can match the difficulty, importance, and, at times, is as disgusting as these two professions.

the list goes on.

a restaurant here did away with tipping and paid their servers a “real wage” they couldn’t hire any one and the ones they had left. the restaurant was popular and fairly busy. Servers know they make a killing in tips. The restaurant had to go back to allowing tips.

but this is the root of the whole argument of how arbitrary and ridiculous tipping is.

the worst server at an expensive server will make more than the best server at a ‘cheap‘ restaurant. Should tipping be based on percentages? Should it based on work? We went to tusker house for breakfast last trip and our server made 50$ in mandatory tip. Service was ok. Nothing spectacular. When we went to restrauntasaurus for dinner the CM running back and forth traying the food got nothing. That person worked way harder.

Doctors have really hard jobs. So do pilots. What about firefighters and police officers?

what about the janitor at a school? The person that unclogs toilets and mops up puke. If you don’t have kids what about a janitor at a mall? Department store, etc.

Nurses? They have a hard and gross job. Both of these are grossly underpaid for what They do. No tipped position anywhere can match the difficulty, importance, and, at times, is as disgusting as these two professions.

the list goes on.

a restaurant here did away with tipping and paid their servers a “real wage” they couldn’t hire any one and the ones they had left. the restaurant was popular and fairly busy. Servers know they make a killing in tips. The restaurant had to go back to allowing tips.
I don’t think anyone really likes tipping, but it’s a cultural practice here that isn’t going away.

the list goes on.

If you want to be tipped like a server, become a server instead of a nurse or cashier. If you don’t want to tip, don’t patronize businesses that partake in the practice.

We always tip housekeeping and leave and leave a nice note for their hard work. We also over tip servers and bellman. I will also carry hand written Cast Member compliment cards to hand out to those who really bring a smile to our day.

We are not wealthy, not by a long shot. We find enjoyment out of generosity and good will.

And that is all depending on where you live. The whole country does not have the same employment status.
This is why you are seeing so many people leaving places like New York and Illinois and heading South. You are also starting to see people leave California.

The whole country also has very different costs of living depending on where you are...

The bigger issue with servers gets back to what I mentioned earlier. If you pay a wage without tips, you are taxed on the whole thing. Under the current tip rules, they only have to claim 7% as tips (and I believe that is of the non-tax total) or the total of their credit card/charge tips if that is greater, so the rest is essentially tax-free. (For the record, I waited tables for almost 7 years during college and graduate school...)

They're also responsible for clearing plates, and at the rate some people hit those buffets, that adds up to a heck of a lot more work than a server who just takes your order and checks on you once in awhile. Maybe people don't see them doing this because they're up at the buffet when it happens. Our servers at Boma have always done a great job of keeping drinks refilled and clearing plates - I sure wouldn't begrudge them a basic 18% tip.
This is from TripAdvisor in regards to advising those outside the US on customary tips:

"For buffet restaurants, tipping servers who clear multiple dishes and provide drink refills is recommended. Some persons may tip buffet servers $1 per diner, others as much as 5 to 10 percent of the total pre-tax bill, depending upon the level of service provided. Buffet servers may not take orders or bring out food, but they do work hard keeping your table clean of the empty plates after multiple trips to the buffet line. In addition to this, they often help to keep the buffet line stocked and clean, and they make coffee, brew tea, etc. Remember that the minimum tip for any server should be $1 per person. Do not leave only 75 cents for a $5.00 buffet! As always, if you feel you have not been well-served, adjust the gratuity down. If a tip has been added to your bill beforehand because your party was 6 or more, but the server was inadequate or rude, inform the manager immediately before you pay your bill that you want the tip adjusted."

This is from TripAdvisor in regards to advising those outside the US on customary tips:

"For buffet restaurants, tipping servers who clear multiple dishes and provide drink refills is recommended. Some persons may tip buffet servers $1 per diner, others as much as 5 to 10 percent of the total pre-tax bill, depending upon the level of service provided. Buffet servers may not take orders or bring out food, but they do work hard keeping your table clean of the empty plates after multiple trips to the buffet line. In addition to this, they often help to keep the buffet line stocked and clean, and they make coffee, brew tea, etc. Remember that the minimum tip for any server should be $1 per person. Do not leave only 75 cents for a $5.00 buffet! As always, if you feel you have not been well-served, adjust the gratuity down. If a tip has been added to your bill beforehand because your party was 6 or more, but the server was inadequate or rude, inform the manager immediately before you pay your bill that you want the tip adjusted."
$1 per diner? $5.00 buffet? Is this from 1970?

We leave our units exceptionally tidy, beds stripped, towels in bath. Given my dues have risen heavily to pay this soon to be $15 an hour, I no longer tip. A housekeeper here in the UK will earn $11 so I see $15 as a decent wage.
When they earnt much less I used to tip. If one goes above or beyond I would tip, and I would tip if I left a mess, which we do not.
I have nothing to add to this discussion, but I had to remark on "earnt"--love it!

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think any brought up the fact that the house cleaners are rarely cleaning our mess in DVC. Unlike a hotel where they clean your mess every day, in DVC, unless your there for over a week, they don't clean until you leave.

Is there something wrong with servers making this much at WDW?
No but there is something wrong with Tripadvisor telling Disney’s international guests to severely under tip. It does them a disservice. At best, they’ll be considered cheapskates.
And if Tripadvisor is mentioning $5 buffets I’m guessing that recommendation hasn’t been updated in a very long time.

No, it from today's TripAdvisor. I could pull out hundreds more (Emily Post, etc.). They all concur buffet should be 10%. Not sure how it became 18% at WDW...

https://www.paysa.com/salaries/walt-disney-world--waiter
Disney is a very expensive vacation venue, and the food prices along with the resulting higher tips reflect that. The usual rules don't apply. For example, Emily Post would probably be far too horrified by what people were wearing in the restaurants to pay much attention to their tipping habits.

No but there is something wrong with Tripadvisor telling Disney’s international guests to severely under tip. It does them a disservice. At best, they’ll be considered cheapskates.
And if Tripadvisor is mentioning $5 buffets I’m guessing that recommendation hasn’t been updated in a very long time.
Oh, there are $5 buffets (Golden Corral, Pizza Hut?). The point is that 10% is the generally accepted tip level at any buffet. I thought it was sad that our Jiko waiters were on a waiting list to get to Boma because they said they make the same money and that it was a lot less work...

Last edited:
Actually, I am going to put this here and leave it at this. I know it will never go back this way, but I personally liked it a lot better when gratuities were included with the dining plan. Then you didn't have to worry about any of this and if you had a truly outstanding person, you could leave more...

Oh, there are $5 buffets (Golden Corral, Pizza Hut?). The point is that 10% is the generally accepted tip level at any buffet. I thought it was sad that our Jiko waiters were on a waiting list to get to Boma because they said they make the same money and that it was a lot less work...
I’m not sure how you’re figuring it’s a lot less work. By the Tripadvisor description it sounds like buffet servers work just as hard or harder than regular servers. Why would you tip them less? If the Jiko servers are waiting to get into Boma it’s probably because Boma tends to be much busier, at least at the times we visit. Jiko is usually a walk-up. More tables will mean more money.

Disney doesn’t use the 10% “accepted tip level at any buffet” so it’s not the accepted tip level at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter