Tipping - resort staff

I’m not sure how you’re figuring it’s a lot less work. By the Tripadvisor description it sounds like buffet servers work just as hard or harder than regular servers. Why would you tip them less? If the Jiko servers are waiting to get into Boma it’s probably because Boma tends to be much busier, at least at the times we visit. Jiko is usually a walk-up. More tables will mean more money.
Our last Boma trip, there were 6 of us (all "Disney" adults), and for that our waiter took drink orders, brought drinks, refilled them once, and maybe did one round of plate clearing. For that, he earned over $60.

Compare that to our last Jiko trip (which, BTW was my first time there), our waitress was fantastic (for about 9 of us, 5 kids, though) and her tip was in that same range. We left her more because she was outstanding. Made excellent wine and entree recommendations, then back again for dessert recommendations. Our friends were on the DP, we were out of pocket, but all agreed it was far superior to our Boma experiences.

If you think Buffet servers do just as much, you are welcome to your opinion. (Note: I leave 'Ohana and Garden Grill out of this as the servers do bring you your food).

We’ve been to both Jiko and Boma several times. Servers varied, but the ones at Jiko made much, much more in tips from us than the ones at Boma. The difference in service didn’t justify tipping our servers at Boma less than 18%.

I remember reading previous posts about leaving tips for housekeeping. If you tip, how much do you typically leave for HK?? We are here for 6 nights if you use that to factor in tip amount.
I am usually there for 7 nights in a 1BR, with two people. I usually leave $10 for the trash & towel day and $20 on check out day. Bell services gets $5 for each of drop off and pick up of Owner's Locker, and an extra $5-$10 if I have a grocery order (depending on the size). Thinking about things, I haven't increased the housekeeping # in a long time, and will probably up check out day to $25.

On the subject of buffet vs. full service, I follow Miss Manners' advice and tip the same independent of service style. https://www.disboards.com/threads/miss-manners-tipping-website.1814275/#post-24910682

I am usually there for 7 nights in a 1BR, with two people. I usually leave $10 for the trash & towel day and $20 on check out day. Bell services gets $5 for each of drop off and pick up of Owner's Locker, and an extra $5-$10 if I have a grocery order (depending on the size). Thinking about things, I haven't increased the housekeeping # in a long time, and will probably up check out day to $25.

On the subject of buffet vs. full service, I follow Miss Manners' advice and tip the same independent of service style. https://www.disboards.com/threads/miss-manners-tipping-website.1814275/#post-24910682
Thanks for posting Miss Manners' advice. Buffet servers may not be making wine recommendations (although some do), but they have other duties that may not be as readily observable. If someone wants to save a few bucks by tipping less at a buffet because it's always been done that way, that's fine but own it. Don't try to justify it by denigrating the buffet servers' workload.

It's likely that the lower tip percentage for buffet workers originated because tipping was supposed to encourage better performance and a buffet server's job duties required less personal contact with the diner than other servers - not because the buffet servers were expected to do less work. But, like it or not, tipping is now an expected cost of the meal and has little to do with the servers' performance unless the service is exceptionally poor. I highly doubt that the best servers at Disney are on waiting lists to transfer to the buffets based on the belief that buffet servers make more money for doing much less work.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting Miss Manners' advice. Buffet servers may not be making wine recommendations (although some do), but they have other duties that may not be as readily observable. If someone wants to save a few bucks by tipping less at a buffet because it's always been done that way, that's fine but own it. Don't try to justify it by denigrating the buffet servers' workload.

It's likely that the lower tip percentage for buffet workers originated because tipping was supposed to encourage better performance and a buffet server's job duties required less personal contact with the diner than other servers - not because the buffet servers were expected to do less work. But, like it or not, tipping is now an expected cost of the meal and has little to do with the servers' performance unless the service is exceptionally poor. I highly doubt that the best servers at Disney are on waiting lists to transfer to the buffets based on the belief that buffet servers make more money for doing much less work.
You and I will agree to disagree on this. Most all sites I've googled agree that a 10% tip is customary at buffets. You are most certainly welcome to tip more if you would like, but my point is that it is not out of line with the standard, accepted practice (see Emily Post link below). Also, wait staff at full service restaurants have duties that may not be readily observable as well (side work).

https://emilypost.com/advice/general-tipping-guide/
As to my interaction with my Jiko server, I reported what I heard. You can take that with a grain of salt if you wish...

We just got back from 3 wks in FL, 2 wks WDW and 1 wk Vero Beach. We went to the grocery story yesterday and I noticed that they have updated all the self-checkout lines, they now have 12 self-checkout lines and they only had four actual checkers on duty. I'm thinking this is designed to eliminate the need for actual checkers once the minimum wage is increased to $15 per hour or whatever they decide on. I heard one of the Dem candidates saying $22 per hour...I do believe the checkers also feel this is to put them out of a job. Very sad, I guess those people aren't going to be better off with the proposed increase to the minimum wage...

You and I will agree to disagree on this. Most all sites I've googled agree that a 10% tip is customary at buffets. You are most certainly welcome to tip more if you would like, but my point is that it is not out of line with the standard, accepted practice (see Emily Post link below). Also, wait staff at full service restaurants have duties that may not be readily observable as well (side work).

https://emilypost.com/advice/general-tipping-guide/
As to my interaction with my Jiko server, I reported what I heard. You can take that with a grain of salt if you wish...
Thats why buffet servers LOVE TIW!

Our last Boma trip, there were 6 of us (all "Disney" adults), and for that our waiter took drink orders, brought drinks, refilled them once, and maybe did one round of plate clearing. For that, he earned over $60.

Compare that to our last Jiko trip (which, BTW was my first time there), our waitress was fantastic (for about 9 of us, 5 kids, though) and her tip was in that same range. We left her more because she was outstanding. Made excellent wine and entree recommendations, then back again for dessert recommendations. Our friends were on the DP, we were out of pocket, but all agreed it was far superior to our Boma experiences.

If you think Buffet servers do just as much, you are welcome to your opinion. (Note: I leave 'Ohana and Garden Grill out of this as the servers do bring you your food).
Break up your party onto 2 reservations to avoid the autograt. Kind of extreme but an option.

I agree that $15/ hour is decent for housekeeping. Why does every job have to be a living wage? All this does is restrict employment opportunities. Anyone who has ever tried to get ahead in Europe will tell you that finding an extra job or second earner type job is next to impossible because government restricts employers like mad, in many cases making it very difficult for them to operate. Also, jobs for young people are virtually none existent which is why you have such high youth unemployment in Europe. We take it for granted in the US that teens will be able to find jobs in the summer and that jobs exist for all skill levels. I am not a proponent of unions. They use pressure tactics to for people to join and union leadership is interested in one thing: their own jobs. The company my husband works for has both union and non union employees and the union employees are always begging for the deal the non union employees get. No luck— they have to stay with the stellar deal that their great union negotiated. I can guarantee that whatever these clowns negotiated with Disney, you average union employee would have been better off in the free market. Oh, and we tip btw, but lately no one is taking our tips. I think it is because I can no longer leave a note saying thanks. No paper and pen in the room anymore.

We always tip housekeeping. Growing up, my father always tipped housekeeping, so it's ingrained in me. :) Their salary increase, for me, is irrelevant. They're still making a wage that I truly don't think we could live on, so I am sure they appreciate the tips. Plus, I like spreading a bit of happiness where I can when I'm someplace where the employees are working hard to make me & my family happy. :)

If we tip per day, then we leave a few dollars in a small envelope, or loose with a post-it note, clearly marked for housekeeping, usually with "Thank-You" on there as well. :) We like tipping daily in case there is someone different in the room each day.

In places where an envelope is provided, we use that at the end of our stay.

We haven't stayed DVC yet...our first trip is coming up in April. I imagine I will tip as I always do...commensurate with the level of service. For example, I always start at 20% when dining and then move up or down depending on service (with an absolute floor of 15%). Valets range around $10 depending on wait and how busy they are. I normally leave around $20 at the end of a week's hotel stay in full service hotels, and I will leave more if we left a mess on a particular day or two (VERY rare as we keep everything organized). DVC is interesting, though. They are not fully making up the room every day. I would guess I may leave around $10-$15 at the end of a week's stay at DVC. Sounds about right

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!