Tips for PreTrip Preparations?

CheriePenguin

DIS Veteran
Just wanted to ask people’s advice on the best books, movies, and TV show episodes to watch with the kids in preparation for our first summer trip to Universal, to maximize our enjoyment and appreciation of the theming and references in the park. [My boys are 8, 13, and almost 16.]

I read somewhere that Harry Potter books and movies 1-4 (plus 7) were good to see in advance.

We have all read the Harry Potter books 1-4 and watched those movies (the older boys read and watched more of them). We might want to rewatch a few?

We’ve watched Jurassic Park (and the older boys have seen some of the sequels). We've all seen at least 1-2 of the Minion movies.

We’ve read tons of Dr. Seuss books over the years. Which would be best to re-read now to help catch the nods and references in the park?

We own most of the Simpson’s episodes on DVD but haven’t shown many of them to the kids, as we didn’t feel most were kid appropriate. I know we will probably want them to at least become familiar with the Quick-E Mart and Moe’s Tavern (and Bart’s prank calls). What else? Any suggestions on particular kid-friendly episodes that would be helpful?

Thanks for any advice you can give. Hopefully we can have some pre-trip weekend parties to get more excited about the trip and improve our enjoyment of the trip!

Have your children seen E.T.? Men In Black, Transformers, Fast and Furious and The Mummy?

Marvel movies such as Captain America, Spiderman, The Hulk, and the X-Men. These rides and meet-greets are in the "Super Hero Island" section of IOA.

Do you like the Jason Bourne movies? Depending upon when you travel, due to open this spring is a new "Jason Bourne Stuntacular" show.

And of course The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.

Have your children seen E.T.? Men In Black, Transformers, Fast and Furious and The Mummy?

Marvel movies such as Captain America, Spiderman, The Hulk, and the X-Men. These rides and meet-greets are in the "Super Hero Island" section of IOA.

Do you like the Jason Bourne movies? Depending upon when you travel, due to open this spring is a new "Jason Bourne Stuntacular" show.

And of course The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.

:thumbsup2

Watch the first few HP movies multiple times along with ET and MIB at least the first MIB!!!

Oh one I think of also is Back to the Future because you often hear the theme song music playing as you enter and the theme music is just one of my favs!!!

Also Shrek and Despicable Me!!

Hi I agree with the above I think they covered it well. When we took my DD's boyfriend for the first time we had him watch all the movies especially Deathly Hallows (DIagon Alley and Gringotts) it made such a difference for him to take what he saw in the movies and then see it come to life. I think the movies help with Hogwart's Express. I think reading the books are great but the movies help bring it to life better (my opinion).

I would suggest going into the archives and bring up the old comic style and Popye cartoons. I am showing my age LOL!! Look up Toon Lagoon in IOA and see what you can find on that. It is a great land but sometimes younger ones miss it on some stuff.

I am sure you will have a great time!

We did Universal when our girls were a lot younger so they didn't know half of the movies or shows for the rides. We just went and now they are 14 and 16. Since then they've seen Kong Skull Island (I'm not sure it's necessary to watch the movie to enjoy the ride), Men In Black (you should watch at least the first movie), ET (a must see because it's a classic and you enjoy the ride more if you understand it), Transformers (at least the first one), and Fast and Furious movies (should watch at least one movie to know the characters... the queue is really entertaining if you've seen the movies).

I will warn you though that my younger daughter is now hooked on the Fast and Furious franchise and I keep joking that I'm going to lose my daughter to the underground world of racing. She's now collecting the model cars and watches the movies all the time. There are ridiculous story lines, but entertaining if you just take them as they are... (Be warned that there are scenes in every movie with scantily clad women when they are street racing.)

Enjoy!

My 11 yo loved the Simpsons ride and the Twirl n Hurl.. He hadn't seen many episodes beforehand. For Dr. Suess- Cat in the Hat, my son loves that ride. Also the Starbellied Speeches book, is that what it's called? May be a tad young for the older ones.. Transformers, ET, Men In Black, like others have said. Fast & Furious movies aren't necessary for the ride, IMO, my son has never seen them but enjoyed the ride. The Scooby Doo characters are also often roaming around.

We're working our way through movies and shows in preparation for our trip. Haven't figured out Simpsons episodes yet though - hoping someone has recommendations

Our list: The Mummy, Fast & Furious, King Kong, ET, MIB, Jurassic Park & Jurassic World, all the Harry Potter, Woody Woodpecker, Rocky & Bullwinkle/Dudley Do-Right, Transformers, Simpsons, Jimmy Fallon (specifically Hashtag Panda, Rag Time Gals, Ew, Thank you notes, Tight Pants song). We've already seen all the Marvel movies, Shrek, Despicable Me.

FYI: The Mummy, King Kong, and Jurassic World were all too scary for our youngest (8).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!