• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips/Ideas for showing the magic to a newbie?

Briar Wood

Earning My Ears
Hi,

My boyfriend has never been to Disney World! He will be turning 42, two weeks before we go. Any ideas/tips for making a special, magical first-time for a previously deprived, grown-up newbie!?

Thanks! BW:p

I would start with MGM, then AK, then EPCOT and save the MK for last. IMHO, the MK is what I picture when I think of WDW.

That sounds great...

What I did for my DH (then fiance) on his first trip was to not tell him anything about the parks but asked him to trust me completely because I was planning for almost a year. He did.

I had one "special" thing planned per day...Some big (MNSSHP) and others quite small (sundaes at Ghiraldelli's or special spots in the parks i.e. Singing in the rain umbrella, the rope outside of Indiana Jones)

He loved everything and thought I had special powers to know all of that. I did...I had the DIS;)

My advice is not to try to cram in absolutely everything on this trip. Take some time together to just soak up the atmosphere and explore all the little details that make Disney World truly magical. If you spend all your time running from attraction to attraction he will probably end up burned out and exhausted and missing the magic.

Here are some other suggestions:
-Have some really nice meals!
-Rent boats or bikes one day at your resort.
-Play a round or two of mini golf at Winter-Summerland or Fantasia Gardens.
-Take him to a character meal and let the characters embarass him.
-Spend some time just hanging out by the pool.
-Enjoy an evening at Pleasure Island or the Boardwalk.

Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.

There is also: Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party (MVMCP).

My trip in October was with my boyfriend who had also never been to WDW...I showed him the guidebook ahead of time and together we picked out the parks we wanted to visit, restaurants, and the resort we wanted to stay at. I agree about the character meal...the picture I have of Minnie Mouse with her arms around Jason is absolutely priceless!!!

:Pinkbounc

Sounds great!

My DD (will be her third time) is also coming. I assigned each of us a role. My BF is in charge of selecting our accomodations. My DD is in charge of planning out the rides (and order of rides) we will go on. And I'm in charge of meals and PS's.

BF and I will have time alone together when DD goes to the Grand Adventures at GF. It's also his birthday celebration! I'm planning some character meals and dinner at the Prime Time Cafe!

What do you think?

Any birthday ideas?

BW

I was in the "newbie" position when DH and I went on our honeymoon in 1992. But we got a book called Birnbaum's Guide to Disney, and DH and I went through it ahead of time deciding what were priorities, what were things to do if we had time, etc.
I'm much more of a planner than DH is, so I enjoyed making a lot of these decisions ahead of time, with his help since he'd been there before. We come up with a nice, loose plan, and then see what happens or how we feel once we arrive.

Also, we almost ALWAYS visit MK first because we just don't feel like we're at Disney unless we do. It just really gives you that Disney spirit that starts your vacation off in a special way. Last time we visited WDW, we started at Animal Kingdom, and although it was nice, to us, it just wasn't the same.

As mentuioned in another thread, ride inthe front of the monorail.
Stand under the umbrella in the back of the NYC streets in MGM.
Look for the key under te mat at Muppetvision.
Pull the rope (that warns you not to pull the rope) outside of Indiana Jones at MGM.
PIN TRADE! Go to Scoop's Sunday after noon lecture at 1 PM at Expo Hall (MK).
Go on any behind the scenes tour! They are GREAT!!!

These are fantastic tips!!!:Pinkbounc

A few questions: The umbrella is the singin' in the rain umbrella? I looked for it last time I was there and could not find it.

I never heard of a key under a mat at Muppet Vision! Is it outside at the door that you enter?

Haven't been to Indiana Jones yet, but want to this time--I'll look for the rope!

Thanks!

BW

I would start at Mk and go slow. I would just take my time and enjoy the magic through a newbies eyes!

Yes -- the Singin' in the Rain Umbrella. It's on a corner curb, underneath/attached to a lamppost. NY section, on the left side of the park, if you are walking back into that section.
One thing I really enjoy is the TTA in MK. On this you will also see at least one hidden Mickey. (I think there are others, but can't recall.)
When you are on the TTA, riding through the Buzz section, there is an alien under a hair dryer. Look at her belt buckle. :)

If you are lucky, you will be around the same time of the talking trashcan. We have seen that in MK and DAK (Conservation Station.)

There is a talking water fountain too at WDW. But someone will have to remind where that is! ;)
The fiber optic lighted sidewalk at Epcot is pretty neat too, as the many great special fountains there. :)

Be sure to take e-mail addys with you and go into the Imagination building (Epcot -- where HIStA is.) You can take a photo, morph it and e-mail it on. :)

Make sure they check out the Beverly at Ice Station Cool! ;)

There's LOTS there! Have a great time! :)

OK, Luv2Roam, I'm going to take this list with me! Thanks so much!

And Muffy, you're so right, it's important to remember to relax and enjoy taking it in through a newbie's eyes! I don't want to rush through it when he's amazed by just standing on Main Street, looking around and hearing the piped-in old time music!

BW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter