Title Chosen: World of Friendship! October 2017 Girls Getaway: Aloha to the Poly/ MCO Hyatt p33-4

I think the 4 parks in one day is an awesome feat!
And, personally, I think managing to do that and go on 4 rides is a win. Even at our best, Alex and I only managed 3 parks. So I'm always impressed with guests who can tackle them all. Plus, the rides you did go on were headliners...

That chicken pot pie meal at Columbia Harbor House looks pretty good. That's a QS restaurant I've got to get to eventually.

Oh man, I can just picture your troubles at Happily Ever After. If it wasn't the rain, it was the tall guests. It sounds incredibly frustrating, but you seemed to handle it well and topped off your night on a high note. That short boat ride back to the Polynesian beats the madness of the monorail or ferries any day. And a quiet castle view to end your evening while you drink some wine sounds like the perfect way to decompress after park hopping.
Can't believe you're on to your last day already!

We were pretty proud of ourselves!

::yes::

You definitely need to try CHH! The fried food at CHH is pretty good- fried shrimp, fried fish, fried chicken. The tuna sandwich is excellent. The seafood/shrimp mac & cheese is excellent, even though I don't normally eat mac & cheese. I don't think they have it anymore, but my son used to love the apple cobbler for dessert. But my favorite thing about the restaurant is the upstairs seating, which is usually not crowded because people don't know it is up there. Especially if you get seating that overlooks Liberty Square and Haunted Mansion.

What is your QS of choice at MK?

It was a combination of annoying factors at Happily Ever After, but it was still great to be on Main Street watching fireworks. I was worried about Nannette and Janet's views since this was the first time seeing the show for them.

Yes, "last" day for me- it was a busy, long one with an unexpected ending that made it even longer than planned.

I think I have 5 more updates left!

:faint:

It had been a long, productive, satisfying FUN day.

We met our 4 park challenge!

But looking back and writing about it, I discovered that we really didn’t get our ride on that day.

Do you know how many total rides went on that day?

Congratulations on making your four park challenge! Did you ever meet up with that one person that you were hoping to meet that night at MK?

I agree that the shrimp mac and cheese is not as good as the lobster version. Do they still have the salmon? That was good.

Although I think technically, one is supposed to go on at least one ride, or maybe even 2 headliners for it to "count" Future goals!

Our only rule is that if you enter the park, it counts. ;)

Congratulations on making your four park challenge! Did you ever meet up with that one person that you were hoping to meet that night at MK?

I agree that the shrimp mac and cheese is not as good as the lobster version. Do they still have the salmon? That was good.

Our only rule is that if you enter the park, it counts. ;)

I'm glad we legitimately made our 4 park challenge by your rules! On my previous closest attempt (3 theme parks and a water park instead of MK), back in 2009, I entered EPCOT to watch Illuminations, but didn't ride anything.

I'm pretty sure the salmon is still on the menu. It has looked very good when I have seen others get it. And it is a really healthy choice, especially if you pair it with broccoli. I like salmon, I make it frequently at home, but I rarely order it when I am out. There are always other things that appeal to me more, and I am afraid the salmon won't be prepared well.

Good memory, there! Yes, we were supposed to meet up with Teena, her friend and another mutual friend at the fireworks that night. That was one of the reasons I was so excited that we were able to see Rivers of Light on Friday, leaving Saturday open for the meet. But alas, with the rain that was forecasted, there was no get-together that night.

:sad2:

Good memory, there! Yes, we were supposed to meet up with Teena, her friend and another mutual friend at the fireworks that night. That was one of the reasons I was so excited that we were able to see Rivers of Light on Friday, leaving Saturday open for the meet. But alas, with the rain that was forecasted, there was no get-together that night.
It would have been nice to see more of Teena and meet the other Dis friend. We'll just have to plan another Dis meet trip. ::yes::

I'm (almost) over the disappearance of the seafood mac & cheese, but it is going to take a long time (maybe never) for me to forgive the removal of the roasted beet & goat cheese salad with candied walnuts at Sunshine Seasons. Sure, a variation of that salad now appears at almost every other restaurant at the World, but it is not the same as the original.

:(

If the shortcake goes, I'm boycotting Disney.

Well, Epcot.

Well, Sunshine Seasons.

Well, I'll be sad. So that's something.

It would have been nice to see more of Teena and meet the other Dis friend. We'll just have to plan another Dis meet trip. ::yes::

I agree! That would have been a lot of fun to get everyone together. :grouphug:

I would definitely love to plan meeting up for another trip.

No girls trips on the horizon, thou. :(

I would like to take Mark back to Disney sometime "soon". I was thinking Fall 2019, but Mark has proposed something bigger and more exotic for when the boys are both away at college.

So now the wheels in my head are turning for Flower & Garden 2019. I've never been at that time of year.

:flower1:

If the shortcake goes, I'm boycotting Disney.

Well, Epcot.

Well, Sunshine Seasons.

Well, I'll be sad. So that's something.

You and me, both!

That shortcake is out of this world, and coincidentally, always accompanied my favorite salad when I dined at Sunshine Seasons.

In fact, as I was searching past trip reports to find a picture to post, I came across this chapter from "What Happens at the Beach Club".

My first trip to Disney without Mark did not come without some teasing.

:rolleyes1

FLASHBACK!!! August 2014

From What Happens at the Beach Club...

LUNCH!!!

My go-to to-go meal at EPCOT is here

I knew what I was ordering before arriving, heck, as soon as I booked this trip.

Roasted Beet & Goat Cheese Salad, with Candied Pecans and Honey Sherry Dressing

This is the salad I dream about!

Especially when it is followed by Sunshine Seasons Strawberry Shortcake!

MMMmmmmmmmmm!!!

When I finished my lunch, I texted a picture of my meal to Mark:

He replied back “We had lobster. We win!”

He’s right, of course.

But I’m heading to Test Track.

So there!

Last edited:
Sunday October 29- Jolly Poly Morning

The Dreaded Last Day ☹

We all had afternoon flights- ~Ninja’s was the earliest one- sometime around 4 or 5, I think. My flight was scheduled at 8 pm, ~Nannette’s was sometime around then and Janet’s was at 7 pm. But because Janet was flying to Canada, her Magical Express pickup was at the same time as ours, so the 3 of us were able to go together on the same ME bus with a pickup at 4 pm.

That still left a fairly big chunk of play time!

The only thing we had on the schedule was a Fast Pass for Flights of Passage at 10:15.

~Ninja was pretty wiped out from the grueling pace she had kept up during the trip, so she was going to chill out for most of the morning.

And because of Janet’s adverse reaction to FoP, she and Nannette decided they would skip that and instead do some shopping at Disney Springs, then have lunch at Nannette’s favorite, Bongos. My plan was to keep the plan of going to AK in the morning, then taking a bus to DS and meeting them for lunch.

Sometime during the previous day, it had dawned on me that we would be waking up at the resort that housed my very favorite breakfast item in World (not to mention the world), so we had made a reservation for breakfast at Kona at 8:00. YIPEE!!!

***********************************************************************************

I woke up, as always, as stupid o’clock.

I peeked outside to see if the castle was still there where I left it.

DSCF3178.jpg

Check!

Time to go for some early morning exploring…

DSCF3160.jpg

DSCF3171.jpg

DSCF3172.jpg

DSCF3173.jpg

DSCF3164.jpg

DSCF3167.jpg

DSCF3165.jpg

DSCF3166.jpg

DSCF3163.jpg

(Apparently, 5 O’Clock somewhere does not refer to 5 am)

DSCF3168.jpg

I have already shared these pictures, but since they were taken that morning during my stroll, they are worth another posting

IMG_8897.jpg

IMG_8895.jpg

IMG_8894.jpg

Back in the room, I showered and packed my bags. When it was time to walk to breakfast, the 3 of us brought our luggage to the lobby and checked in for our flights. ~Ninja still had some packing, so she would check in for her flight later.

DSCF3175.jpg

DSCF3176.jpg

I didn’t need to look at the menu to know what I was ordering, although one of the specials was somewhat intriguing:

DSCF3185.jpg

DSCF3189.jpg

Nannette got this.

DSCF3188.jpg

~Ninja’s breakfast

Janet and I split the Macadamia-FN-Pineapple Pancakes. Mmmmmmm.

Pancakes are normally not my favorite breakfast entrée because I crave savory items more than carbohydrates, but as I mentioned earlier, these are my breakfast go-to at Disney.

DSCF3191.jpg

So nice, I’ll post it twice!

Happy (but tired) campers!

After we finished eating, it was time for me to head off to Animal Kingdom. I said goodbye to ~Ninja and goodbye for now to Janet and Nannette.

Next Up: Sorta Solo at AK

Last edited:
Last days are always the saddest days. :( But how nice that you still had lots of play time to work with!! Your pancakes at Kona looked so delicious!! I'm a big fan of Kona breakfast. I think breakfast at Kona, and also at Grand Floridian Cafe, are both highly underrated.

We always have an earlier flight back because of having to work the next day :surfweb: but I would love a late one
Kona breakfast is so good I had my first solo dining experience there while DD did the dolphin encounter
Did you get their pressed pot coffee?

Last days are always the saddest days. :( But how nice that you still had lots of play time to work with!! Your pancakes at Kona looked so delicious!! I'm a big fan of Kona breakfast. I think breakfast at Kona, and also at Grand Floridian Cafe, are both highly underrated.

Fortunately, I had a lot of things still on tap to do that day, so there was no time to be sad, yet.

I LOVE those pancakes at Kona! I was so excited I got to have them on the trip.

I'm sure I have mentioned that I have never stepped foot inside the Grand Floridian...

:sad2:

We always have an earlier flight back because of having to work the next day :surfweb: but I would love a late one
Kona breakfast is so good I had my first solo dining experience there while DD did the dolphin encounter
Did you get their pressed pot coffee?

When we first traveled to Disney, we always left first thing in the morning, without having time to do anything. My husband gets anxious about timetables, so I didn't think he would be able to enjoy himself if we tried to do anything on our final day. But our most recent trips, family and girls trips, have featured evening flights home. It is nice to have something fun to do on travel day- although sometimes having a late flight can come back and bite you...

No, I didn't have the pressed pot coffee. I haven't tried it but I know people rave about it, but I totally forget it is an option. And I do love my coffee...

Ooohhhh- I see your ticker for The Dark Side! We loved our Universal trips and Hard Rock stays. Can't remember- have you been there before?

:wizard:

And because of Janet’s adverse reaction to FoP, she and Nannette decided they would skip that and instead do some shopping at Disney Springs, then have lunch at Nannette’s favorite, Bongos. My plan was to keep the plan of going to AK in the morning, then taking a bus to DS and meeting them for lunch.
I don't do well with FoP, either, which is why I didn't do the ride with you. But I did want to go on FoP with our grandsons on this past trip so I took Dramamine before going on it. I didn't get sick but I did have to close my eyes for the second half. It was just too much motion for me. But it is an awesome ride.

We went to Disney Springs that morning, too. We were staying at POR so it was an easy boat ride. But since our ME picked us up around 1:30pm we couldn't stay there very long.

I peeked outside to see if the castle was still there where I left it.
Your Poly pictures are gorgeous. You must have been up really early. Do you think you would ever stay there again? You never really got to take advantage of the monorail to MK during your short stay.

Janet and I split the Macadamia-FN-Pineapple Pancakes. Mmmmmmm.
I know that a lot of people love these pancakes. The portion is huge and splitting it would be easy. :)

My husband gets anxious about timetables, so I didn't think he would be able to enjoy himself if we tried to do anything on our final day.
My husband gets very nervous about timetables, too, had to be back at the resort, waiting for the ME at least an hour before pick up time. ;) We usually take a 5 pm flight out which gives us the morning to do something.

I don't do well with FoP, either, which is why I didn't do the ride with you. But I did want to go on FoP with our grandsons on this past trip so I took Dramamine before going on it. I didn't get sick but I did have to close my eyes for the second half. It was just too much motion for me. But it is an awesome ride.

We went to Disney Springs that morning, too. We were staying at POR so it was an easy boat ride. But since our ME picked us up around 1:30pm we couldn't stay there very long.

I'm glad you were able to ride with your grandsons with pharmaceutical assistance. Are there other rides that bother you? For me, it is spinning or going around in a circle. Astro-orbitors and Tea Cups are out for me.

:faint:

Your Poly pictures are gorgeous. You must have been up really early. Do you think you would ever stay there again? You never really got to take advantage of the monorail to MK during your short stay.

Thank you! I can't believe how empty the Poly lobby was.

According to the time-stamp on my photos, I left the room a little after 5 am.

I would totally stay at the Poly again, if I wanted to be at a MK resort. Mark wants to stay at the CR, because he likes the ability to walk and not rely on transportation. It will be hard for me to voluntarily choose a resort other than YC/BC because we just love walking to EPCOT. If given the choice between Boardwalk and Poly, it would be hard for me to make a choice, but I think I would go for Poly for the theming, the monorail and all of the awesome shops and restaurants at the resort.

:beach:

I know that a lot of people love these pancakes. The portion is huge and splitting it would be easy. :)

Sharing was the way to go, especially since the plan was for us to have lunch at Bongos a little later.

My husband gets very nervous about timetables, too, had to be back at the resort, waiting for the ME at least an hour before pick up time. ;) We usually take a 5 pm flight out which gives us the morning to do something.

Next trip, you and I can be out in the parks while our hubbies cool their heels and constantly check their watches in the lobby!

:dogdance:

Last edited:
When we first traveled to Disney, we always left first thing in the morning, without having time to do anything. My husband gets anxious about timetables, so I didn't think he would be able to enjoy himself if we tried to do anything on our final day. But our most recent trips, family and girls trips, have featured evening flights home. It is nice to have something fun to do on travel day- although sometimes having a late flight can come back and bite you...

No, I didn't have the pressed pot coffee. I haven't tried it but I know people rave about it, but I totally forget it is an option. And I do love my coffee...

Ooohhhh- I see your ticker for The Dark Side! We loved our Universal trips and Hard Rock stays. Can't remember- have you been there before?

:wizard:
We had been to Universal when my girls were younger before all the HP stuff
We went this past March for 4 days prior to our Disney stay and loved it so much we upgraded to AP’s
We stayed at Cabana Bay for 1 night and RP the rest and loved them but really looking forward to staying at the HRH and see all the Xmas stuff

I'm glad you were able to ride with your grandsons with pharmaceutical assistance. Are there other rides that bother you? For me, it is spinning or going around in a circle. Astro-orbitors and Tea Cups are out for me.
Spinning is out, like tea cups and Astro Orbiter for me, too. I don't like the big roller coasters like Space Mountain and Everest. I have gone on Rock N' Roll, which I did okay with because you are strapped in nicely. I won't do Mission Space ever again because of claustrophobia. I thought I was going to have a full - blown panic attack when they closed me up in that capsule. I also won't do Star Tours.

I would totally stay at the Poly again, if I wanted to be at a MK resort. Mark wants to stay at the CR, because he likes the ability to walk and not rely on transportation. It will be hard for me to voluntarily choose a resort other than YC/BC because we just love walking to EPCOT. If given the choice between Boardwalk and Poly, it would be hard for me to make a choice, but I think I would go for Poly for the theming, the monorail and all of the awesome shops and restaurants at the resort.
The ability to walk into MK from the Contemporary would be nice, but you have to take two monorails to get to Epcot from that resort. A lot of people prefer the Poly to the CR because you can walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail instead of taking two monorails. And the view is much better from the Poly. :) When we want to stay at the GF we do a split stay with the BC/YC. That gives us the best of both worlds and the least amount of buses. We get our fill of MK while at the GF and then hit up Epcot and DHS on the BC/YC stay. The AK bus is fine from the Poly/GF. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter