To add on or not add on that is the ?

Jack_Sparrow_NJ

DIS Veteran
While I probably don’t need the points there is part of me that wants the points. Just another small add on. Maybe 50 points. These are the thoughts consuming my mind as I try to determine when I would even go back to WDW. It would be nice to have a few extra points to enhance our trips. Not an easy decision.

I decided to add on for the third time because I needed some extra points for those preferred views. Do I need those views? Nah. Do I want them real bad? Yeah! I can afford it and will use them so I didn’t hesitate. If you can afford it and will use them, go for it!

Okay. So the next question is do I add on where I have points already or branch out to something new??
Yes, lol.

It comes down to: is there another resort you'd like to stay at where home resort priority really matters? If yes, buy points there.
Are you just looking for SAP points? If so, consider SSR.
For VGF, Poly and Riv, do you find you don't have enough points without borrowing to book the stays you want? Do you want to stay in larger accommodations than you present do? If so, add on to those resorts.

While I probably don’t need the points there is part of me that wants the points. Just another small add on. Maybe 50 points. These are the thoughts consuming my mind as I try to determine when I would even go back to WDW. It would be nice to have a few extra points to enhance our trips. Not an easy decision.
You know you came to the wrong board if you’re looking for a balanced view here, right?!? 🤣

We just added on again & are waiting for points to load. So, of course, I think it’s a great idea!!

Okay. So the next question is do I add on where I have points already or branch out to something new??
When it comes to a DVC portfolio, one should diversify... unless you always order the same meal at every restaurant 😉😜

(please don’t take anything here as serious advice -except the buying more part- that’s totally serious!)

Personally I prefer the idea of staying at the same resort for the whole trip. I can always move at 7 months every once and a while.

I am not a big fan of split stays and I don't want my banking/borrowing to be determined by which resort I had not stayed at last year.

Personally I prefer the idea of staying at the same resort for the whole trip.

With you on this one. One shouldn't have to pack their stuff mid trip. I also hate that "well we're checking out tomorrow" feeling you get the night before you move, even if it is just intra-WDW.

It depends on how long you stay. We go for two weeks (+ if DH can get time off) and enjoy doing a week in a 1 BR at one resort and another week at a different 1 BR. Son and DIL can choose their week and we give them a studio in the same "neighborhood". Shorter stays aren't so much fun with all the packing and unpacking IMO.

You'd have to bank and borrow to get enough points with a small contract. Just add on at the same resort and you can use all of them at your home resort or use them all at a different resort if it is available. We have one small 50 point contract (different UY -bought it resale in 1999 when we thought we couldn't get any more OKW points). We use it for our once a year studio stay at OKW (10 points per night) or transfer it to our larger OKW contract to add to the points. The way Disney keeps raising the number of points per night at the newer resorts doesn't make small contracts that useful.

You just can't beat the point chart at OKW IMO. Somewhere around 80 points for a week in a studio. So what if it expires in 2042, you'll get 23-24 years use out of it for around 8K or so. At about $400 night x 7 = $2800 for rack rates or $67,200 if prices never rise at OKW. You'd pay $14,976 for dues all things equal. I look at it at $23,000 or about $137 per night for a total of 168 nights. Now we know rack rates will rise as will dues, but $137 per night in 2020 cheaper proportionally each year for the next 24 years. :love:

Another way to look at it is pay 8K out of pocket now and forget about it - the cost of a nice vacation. MF's are about $624 a year for 8 nights or $78 a night. That is where I am at! My down and dirty math for buying a contract...25 years and counting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter