To do or not to do 11month old..

alyssa18o6

Disney Obsessed.
My husband and I try to go atleast once a year. We just had our first, and we’re super on the fence if we should go next year or take the year off and wait till she’s 2yrs old. She’ll be over 11months old when we go.. is it too much of a hassle? Or is it doable? Obviously every child is different, so my experience will be different than yours. But if you traveled with your 11month old do you regret it?

I say go and take her. She will of course not remember it but you will and the colors and everything around her will probably entertain her to no end. At that age they can recognize Mickey (if of course you watch the toons) and that is worth the trip.

If you try to go once a year anyway, then I would go for it!

We took our son at 7 1/2 months and 12 months. Both were great trips, and a lot easier than I thought they would be (we drove, but we also took a different trip with him flying right before the 12 month trip).

Here are some things that really helped:
-A front carrier. We kept him in the stroller most of the time, but strollers are not allowed in lines. A front carrier was great because he could be in it in line and stay in it on the ride. It was easy getting on and off rides, and he got to see everything facing forward. The only ride we were asked to remove him from the carrier was on the carousel.
-Baby Care Centers. It was a lot more calm for diaper changes there than in a bathroom. That said, we also used the companion restrooms a couple of times if we weren't close to the baby care center and had a two-person diaper job.
-Johnson and Johnson hand and face wipes (love these!) and disposable plastic placemats if already starting on table food (they come in Mickey versions too!). Those were my lifesavers for keeping everything sanitary.

Trips at both ages were awesome! At 7 1/2 months, we got his first Mickey Ears Hat, and he actually recognized Mickey during the character meet (we had been watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and an old Disney sing-a-long, Disneyland Fun, which shows the characters in the parks).

Our 12-month trip was filled with tons of firsts - first taste of ice cream (France at Epcot), first character meal (Tusker House - and we've gone back for every birthday since), first Mickey waffle (he ate like 4-5!), and my favorite: he started walking at the Boneyard at AK.

So go for it, and make some great memories! Since you go at least once a year, it's also a great time to start some family traditions.

My husband and I try to go atleast once a year. We just had our first, and we’re super on the fence if we should go next year or take the year off and wait till she’s 2yrs old. She’ll be over 11months old when we go.. is it too much of a hassle? Or is it doable? Obviously every child is different, so my experience will be different than yours. But if you traveled with your 11month old do you regret it?

This will really be up to you. We went when our oldest had recently turned 4, and our twins were 11 months. First, I'd say that any day at WDW is a good day, so there's that. But would I do it again? Uh...not so sure, I'd be nearly 50/50, if not leaning toward no. Yes, it was awesome watching their eyes light up and just soak in the environment around them. That was fantastic. However, it was a ton of work and very tiring. Diapers, food, bottles, clothes, etc... It is a VERY different experience than going without kids, or going with kids at least old enough to talk, not wear diapers, etc...

Not trying to scare you off...if you want to go, then do it. Just be sure you've got the right mindset and expectations.

If you can do a local getaway weekend before Disney, I highly recommend that.

Our trip was my kid's first overnight stay anywhere....so I had no idea how she was going to act. I learned she needs darkness to sleep, so her pack n play was in the dressing area of the bathroom because she wouldn't fall asleep anywhere else.

If you go every year, I say go for it. Just be prepared for a different trip. (If you can convince a set of grandparents to go down, that's not necessarily a bad idea.)

At that age yes she will have fun but it's really about what you will enjoy. If you like traveling with your child, then I say go for it. No cost for her to fly, get into the parks or eat at the parks. We started traveling with our kids when they were just a few weeks old, there were times at that particular moment I was irritated and annoyed but I never regretted it. It's never a breeze traveling with kids but the more you do it, the easier it gets and the better you get at it. Just know not everything will be easy. I always say expect the worst, hope for the best and you'll have a great time!!

Probably depends on the kid, but I think that would be a tough age.

At 11 months, my son wasn’t walking yet, which meant I couldn’t set him down anywhere in public. Carrying him in the front carrier for very long was difficult...27 lbs hanging off of me wore out my back pretty fast. He was still drinking formula at that age, and was just getting the hang of table food. I actually think a younger baby is more transportable than an 11 month old. I found months 9-14 (when he started crawling - when he started walking) to be the most challenging logistically.

We took him at 18 months and it was so easy. He could walk for brief periods (like through ride queues), drink regular milk, and eat regular kid’s meals. We still had diapers, but by 18 months, those aren’t too challenging.

I’m sure you would have a great time if you take him! But if you can delay the trip a few months, it may be a little easier.

Go for it! I’ve found that traveling with babies is easier than traveling with a 2 year old. Babies can’t run and have no opinions, though your 11-month-old might. We took our oldest at 8 months and it was a fantastic trip. We also went when our youngest was 2 and although it was still a great trip, it was a little more stressful. It’s hard for a 2 year old, in my experience anyway, to wait in a long line or at a table without getting restless. As for an 11-month-old, like a previous poster said they’ll probably spend most of the time in a stroller. If you’re on line or on a ride you can use a baby-bjorn type carrier. I was dead against using one when we took our oldest on his first trip but as I now need free hands to corral stragglers/wanderers I’ve warmed to the idea. This might also be your last chance to take a trip that is all about you, as when they are older it becomes all about them.

Go for it! I’ve found that traveling with babies is easier than traveling with a 2 year old.

Yes, yes, yes. In our experience, the older they get the more difficult they are - though in different ways. Go for it now, you will not regret it. Just develop different expectations from your previous trips.

Agree with others that babies are easiest... we did our first trip at 11 months and it was great! Super easy and we went at Xmas time. She was enthralled with the Christmas trees and all the ‘Santas’ at Epcot.

The thing we loved is how helpful everyone was - cast members and fellow visitors. I felt like it was a great first family trip because of that... also all the restaurants were kid friendly whixh was huge plus (and quite different than our home town of Boston)

DD went at 4 mos, 10 mos, 14 mos .... was a breeze. At 2 they are a bit more opinionated so go young while they are so easy.

As long as you realize you will be going at your baby's pace and not your own I say do it and have fun.

My daughter did DLR at 3 months and 8 months, WDW for her 1st birthday and 14 months...we have plenty of video of her having fun that we will treasure forever.

In your shoes I would wait, as I'd have no interest in touring with a baby. Neither the baby would have much fun, or us.

If you're local and it's no big hassle to get there, that's one thing. But to fly in for such a limited experience, no, I wouldn't.

Both of my kids were 11 months old for their first trip! (My avatar). 11 months old is a great age IMO! Your DD will most likely not be walking yet and will have no issues being pushed around in a stroller. She’ll also be plenty big enough to sit in a high chair and feed herself during meals. Both of my kids loved the characters at that age but my DD was petrified of them only 10 months later at 21 months old.

Flying is not a huge deal either. If you love Disney and plan on going often I say go when your DD is little and learn the ins and outs of flying/traveling with children. I actually found it easier traveling with my kids at that age because they were fine just going with the flow. Now they want to check everything out and always be on the move which can be tough in an airport.

It’s definitely a lot of work and you won’t get to see or do as much as you usually do but I think it’s totally doable and worth it! If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

We go about every year too. We have three kids. They all made their first trips to Disney when they were 9-10 months old. I think it is a great age. I actually think it gets harder when they are 2-3 years old.

I have to respectfully disagree with the PP who says that neither the baby or the adults will have much fun. We were just there last month with a 10 month old as well as a 3 year old and 7 year old. We all had a great time. The baby loved the characters and just looking at everything and taking it all in. The rest of us had a great time too. I understand traveling with a baby isn't for everyone. I think the worst part is all the stuff you have to bring. Diapers, wipes, baby food, etc. We did have a great time so much so we are doing it again in July. Kids will be 14 months, 4, and 7 year old will turn 8 on the trip.

Last edited:
We did 11 months at Disneyland and did have a lot of fun BUT I would not go again when it was extremely crowded with that age. While our son was "easy" (even easier than our daughter who was 2.5 at the time), the experience of having a baby in a stroller and jammed shoulder to shoulder with people in some crowded spots was not enjoyable. We also stood in some 15-20 minute lines just to change his diaper. We're planning a trip to Disney World for the first week of February (our kids will be 18 months, 2.5 and 4.5) in hopes that it'll work in our favor crowd-wise.

I know crowds are tricky to judge and don't bother some people as much. If that's the case for you, do it- and using an Ergo made him so much easier to haul around (and he went on rides IN it). We didn't just do "kiddie" rides either- brought him on Pirates, Buzz, Astro Orbitor, Haunted Mansion etc at 11 months. He napped in the stroller or ergo and it was also nice to do a few "sit down" meals for the break and for him to hang in the high chair :)

We did 11 months at Disneyland and did have a lot of fun BUT I would not go again when it was extremely crowded with that age. While our son was "easy" (even easier than our daughter who was 2.5 at the time), the experience of having a baby in a stroller and jammed shoulder to shoulder with people in some crowded spots was not enjoyable. We also stood in some 15-20 minute lines just to change his diaper.

I’ve never been to Disneyland, but I wanted to throw out there that my experience at Disney World was much different. At most, I waited behind 1 other person for a diaper change, and that was only 2 times the whole trip. Was the line in the men’s room just as bad? If I walked into the ladies room and saw a huge line for a diaper change, I would hand my kid to my husband to scope out the situation in the men’s room.

I’ve never been to Disneyland, but I wanted to throw out there that my experience at Disney World was much different. At most, I waited behind 1 other person for a diaper change, and that was only 2 times the whole trip. Was the line in the men’s room just as bad? If I walked into the ladies room and saw a huge line for a diaper change, I would hand my kid to my husband to scope out the situation in the men’s room.

I think we were particularly unlucky (there during the Main Street Electrical Parade return so crowds were likely past anticipated levels; I would've planned better had I realized but I was CLUELESS). The spots we waited were by the Plaza Inn? I think and in Adventureland, and in both cases, there were babies out the door with dads too, or I totally would've handed him over to my husband.

We're pretty optimistic about Disney World being better on that front :) but tried to pick a "lower" crowd time anyway. Even in talking about it the other day, my husband was like "Can you promise me THAT won't happen again?"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter