To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Tomorrow (Abstaining from Jack Daniels)

View attachment 244661

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace, Strength +/- 5 sec, everything else +/- 10 sec)

6/13/17 - T - 2 mile WU + 2 x 2 miles @ HMP w/ 0.5 mile RI + 2 mile CD (3/4)
6/14/17 - W - 5 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
6/15/17 - R - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
6/16/17 - F - 4 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
6/17/17 - Sat - Hot2Trot 10k
6/18/17 - Sun - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile

Total (training) mileage = 37.5 miles
Number of SOS intervals within pace = 3/4 (75%)

Monday was the first day of swimming for G, and she LOVES it! She has been having such a great time, they've been going back after lunch for a second swim. She's even dunking her head underwater! Hooray for finding something she is willing to participate in thus far!

Tuesday was the last hard day before the Hot2Trot 10k.

2 mile WU + 2 x 2 miles @ HMP w/ 0.5 mile RI + 2 mile CD

Guess who I ran into today? I'll leave the mystery person a mystery until the end. See if you can figure it out.

T+D of 154, with full sun, and 12 mph wind.

HMP = 6:41 min/mile + 5.5% adjustment = 7:05 min/mile
HMP window = +/- 5 seconds (7:00-7:10)

I've got my 10k race on Saturday, so I decided to go with a slightly safer "hard day". This was the first training run of the year over a T+D of 140, and instead we jump right to 154. Yikes! I bit the lip and went with the 5.5% adjustment to see if it worked out for me.

HMP intervals = 7:04, 7:09, 7:09, 7:19

Well the beginning of the first interval started off great. I felt really good and had to pull back to hit pace. Then, out of no where, mystery person X showed up. We locked eyes and each knew what was about to happen. X picked up the pace, and I picked up the pace, and then X picked up the pace, neck and neck until the end of the street. We went our separate ways each content with a tie. See you another time mystery person X.

Otherwise, the run was solid all around. I tried out a new route this time to maximize fast running without having to carry the water bottle. I've noticed a little bit of fatigue in my hip when carrying the bottle so I'm trying to cut down in carrying it when I don't have to,

I incorporated the big hill twice on each interval just to keep the difficulty up. I definitely lost track of pace on interval #4, but as the pace increase at the last few seconds shows I had more to give. Because of the race on Saturday I was happy with not pushing to the edge of needed effort.

Average pace of 7:10 with a HR of 155.

BTW, for those playing at home - mystery person X was .... streamer bike girl! :)

Wednesday was one of those rare days where life throws you a curveball. Life dictated this run be 5 miles instead of 7 miles. The pace had to be SUPER easy at a 9:41 min/mile with a HR of 121 and a T+D of 142.

Thursday was an easy day at a T+D of 142. I went as really slow at a 9:22 min/mile, but to my surprise the average HR was a 130. That seems pretty high given the slow pace.

Friday is packet pickup and a very short easy day.

Saturday is the Hot2Trot 10k

Sunday is a planned easy day of 7 miles

I had the opposite of your stranger-guy stare-down race last night. I turned onto a street and a woman was on the opposite sidewalk and I was trying to stay EA and so I was telling my brain that I didn't need to pass her. And I was expecting her to pass me. But she didn't. And so we are both going literally the same exact speed not looking at each other directly and I kept saying in my head "don't speed up, you win if you don't speed up" because it was EA day afterall. And then after .5 miles it was time for my turn off to my other street. How's that for growth and maturity on my part? Or I failed in my chance to prove I'm the fastest woman on the sidewalk.
In hindsight I should have creepily asked her to be my EA pace buddy in the future.

2017 Winter/Spring Training Cycle – Jack Daniels 10k

Below is a summary of the 2017 Jack Daniels 10k training cycle.

Custom Training Plan and Nutrition Plan

144 Days to Go (2 runs in and we already have a change)
Sick solo dad with a fever. They say Mondays are the new Wednesdays.
Total mileage = 19 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 19/19 (100%)

137 Days to Go (Another, possibly connected, sickness...)
Stopped tracking easy intervals. Doctor confirms a sinus infection since mid-Dec.
Total mileage = 26 miles
Number of intervals within pace = nd

130 Days to Go (And so it begins again...)
The end of recovery and the true beginning to Daniels 10k training. Starts with a bang with my first perfect tempo run since before June 2016.
Total mileage = 42 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 10/10 (100%)

123 Days to Go (Back to Groovin')
Marathon tempo, G’s birthday, and the HR is dropping.
Total mileage = 45 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 14/16 (88%)

117 Days to Go (Confusion)
Monday updates? Another perfect tempo run, but a lingering soreness afterwards. HRvPace still not back to peak Dec yet. A 3:22 marathon fitness.
Total mileage = 36 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 13/14 (93%)

110 Days to Go (Back to normal in time for something new)
Another perfect tempo run but I tweaked my back.
Total mileage = 47 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 18/19 (95%)

Pre-Daniels 10k training check-in

103 Days to Go (I haven't drank any alcohol in a long time, but I decided I needed some Jack Daniels in my life!)
Beginning of Daniels training starts with 5:xx paced running? WHAT??!?! Just remember moderation is key with Jack Daniels.
Total mileage = 54.8 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 35/39 (90%)

96 Days to Go (Harder? Better? Faster? Stronger?)
Crushed another perfect marathon tempo and even sped up! A 3:04 marathon fitness!
Total mileage = 48.7 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 33/35 (94%)

Another diet change

89 Days to Go (Let's kick this up a notch, BAM!)
Sore hip from last week’s tempo run and I decided to move the paces faster because the metrics justified the move
Total mileage = 55.6 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 27/30 (90%)

82 Days to Go (Running in the wind!)
New pacing scheme, new recovery drink, the Badgers lost on a miracle shot (after their own miracle shot), 11 hours of sleep, and the peak mileage of the plan
Total mileage = 59.9 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 36/44 (82%)

75 Days to Go (The horizon...)
A tricky speed day, a new 10k PR using run/walk, 10 mile marathon tempo, and a marathon fitness of 3:00:54!
Total mileage = 54.1 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 31/35 (89%)

THE PREDICTION CALCULATOR SAYS 2:59:18!!!!

68 Days to Go (Step back before taking a leap!)
Last R paced run, the beginning of Phase 3 of Daniels (the really really tough part), and introduction to I pace.
Total mileage = 46.8 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 24/29 (83%)

61 Days to Go (Sometimes when you leap, you fall flat...)
I pace is HARD!
Total mileage = 56.8 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 12/22 (55%)

54 Days to Go (Madrugada)
Wind, a band concert, and I’m 32 now!
Total mileage = 54.2 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 21/29 (72%)

47 Days to Go (Final Boss Battle!)
A really bad I paced workout, then crushed the T pace workout, and then a KO punch to the final boss with a 6:55 min/mile average for 11 miles at a HR of 145!!! Marathon fitness 2:53!
Total mileage = 54.8 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 20/29 (69%)

40 Days to Go (Winding down!)
Sinister bunny gang!
Total mileage = 50.4 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 19/27 (70%)

33 Days to Go (Impromptu Race!)
An amazing I paced workout and a beautiful forecast says, Impromptu race time!
Total mileage = 45.1 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 13/18 (72%)

26 Days to Go (Sometimes it works.... and sometimes it doesn't...)
Time trial #2 didn’t go as well.
Total mileage = 42.6 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 4/13 (31%)

19 Days to Go (The running of the brats....)
No more of these time trials, let’s try a real race… with brats!
Total mileage = 48.7 miles
Number of intervals within pace = nd

12 Days to Go (The pendulum swings again)
Things start to slip away, time for some recovery before Hot2Trot and marathon training starts. Marathon fitness of 3:04.
Total mileage = 56.3 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 17/22 (77%)

5 Days to Go (Blazing Sun!)
A tough I paced workout and a solid perfect long run!
Total mileage = 48.4 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 12/17 (71%)

Tomorrow (Abstaining from Jack Daniels)
The end of the Daniels cycle. Only the pinnacle of the cycle is left – Hot2Trot 10k!
Total mileage = 37.5 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 3/4 (75%)

OVERALL SUMMARY
Total scheduled mileage = 1068 miles
Total mileage completed = 1024 miles
% of scheduled mileage completed = 95.8%
Total scheduled duration =151:40:00 hours
Total duration completed = 144:43:00 hours
% of scheduled duration completed = 95.4%
# of intervals within range = 381/471
% of intervals within range = 81%
% weeks above 70% intervals hit = 17/20 (85%)
Average miles per week completed after recovery phase = 52.5 miles
Average duration per week completed after recovery phase = 7:24:10 hours

These were the goals on 1/19/17.

Goals
-To get more comfortable running fast. I'd like to be able to raise my speed cap (VO2max) so that I can run further faster and without as much effort.
-Stay injury free.
-Sub 20 5k or Sub 40 10k. Getting either of these will give me even more confidence in trying to hit a sub 3 marathon in October. I don't have to have this goal, but it's a benchmark I can use to measure progress. Race day conditions will always dictate the feasibility of time goals.

So, how’d we do?
-Get comfortable running fast – check!
-Stay injury free – check!
-Sub 20 5k – check
-Sub 40 10k – ??? (guess we'll see tomorrow)

Overall, I think the Daniels 10k training was a huge success. The goal was to get faster, and I think it’s undeniable that I did get much faster. Now we just need that new found speed to translate into improved endurance to hit that elusive long term goal of a sub 3 hour marathon and a Boston Qualifier.

View attachment 244667

Interesting to see how the HRvPace graphed improved almost every 2 week period until the first time trial. And then after the first time trial, the HRvPace graph definitely bounced backwards. Looks like my current fitness is very close to where it was back in mid-March.

Well now that your are done with Jack Daniels...it's time to Rum!
giphy.gif

I mean...Run!

Good luck tomorrow!

Thanks!

I had the opposite of your stranger-guy stare-down race last night. I turned onto a street and a woman was on the opposite sidewalk and I was trying to stay EA and so I was telling my brain that I didn't need to pass her. And I was expecting her to pass me. But she didn't. And so we are both going literally the same exact speed not looking at each other directly and I kept saying in my head "don't speed up, you win if you don't speed up" because it was EA day afterall. And then after .5 miles it was time for my turn off to my other street. How's that for growth and maturity on my part? Or I failed in my chance to prove I'm the fastest woman on the sidewalk.
In hindsight I should have creepily asked her to be my EA pace buddy in the future.

47E8D.gif

Major growth and maturity. Your training, your pace, right?

Well now that your are done with Jack Daniels...it's time to Rum!
giphy.gif

I mean...Run!

:lmao:

That's a good one!

:thumbsup2

Knew you'd like the reappearance of streamer bike girl.

Hooray for G and swimming! I have one daughter who finds all athletic endeavors to be terrible, except for swimming. That girl loves to be in the water.

And so glad that streamer bike girl made a reappearance!

Hooray for G and swimming! I have one daughter who finds all athletic endeavors to be terrible, except for swimming. That girl loves to be in the water.

Woot Woot! Fingers crossed it sticks! I'm hopeful!

And so glad that streamer bike girl made a reappearance!

Me too! It was a nice little mid-week challenge. And it was legit. Like she was slow rolling enjoying life down the street, and then as soon as she saw me in the street she picked up the pace. It was no coincidence. It seems we have a little challenge growing between us.

Hot2Trot 10k Recap

On Friday night, as I looked at the ever changing forecast, there was a legit question as to whether the race would even happen. All week the thunderstorms prediction had bounced between 30-50%. On Friday night we had a pretty massive thunderstorm roll through for several hours. I for sure had pre-race sleeping anxiety, as many of my dreams were race related (cancelled, slow, raining, etc). But when I awoke this morning, it was clear that the chance of rain was low, but the chance the sun would play a role was high. Curse the sun!

T+D 139 (73 temp + 66 dew) and full sun with little wind. Tough weather conditions for this northerner.

My mom, Steph, and G headed over to the race course which was just right down the street at 7:15am. For this year's race, I was really focused on staying cool before the race started. So we headed over to the finisher's tent and just sat on a park bench. I took an ice pack with my in which I just constantly rubbed on different areas of my body trying to stay cool. At 8:00am, I started my warm-up with the normal dynamic stretching routine. In an attempt to stay as cool as possible, I shortened the WU to just 6 minutes (my belief as to the minimum aerobic WU possible). After the WU, at about 8:15am, I rubbed the ice pack on me one more time and then said goodbye to the family. I had been trying out some Columbia arm cooling sleeves in attempt to beat the heat during the last few weeks. So right before the start of the race, I took some ice water and doused my head and arms in the water while standing in the shade. All in an effort to try and stay cool.

With a few minutes to go, I took a quick glance across the competitors and didn't see the 36 min 10k woman, but I did find the 36 min 10k male in my AG. Based on the PRs of those that had signed up in advance, I thought somewhere around 3rd-5th was reasonable. I also thought that 2nd place in my AG was probably my cap. So I had set the goal of a top 3 finish regardless of final time.

3.... 2.... 1.... and we're off.

Immediately, 36 min 10k'er was off and not to be seen for the remainder of the race. Then two chase groups formed almost immediately. In the top group, was red, blue, green, two blacks and in the 2nd chase group was me, fleet feet, another red and a kid. So this put me in 10th place at this time. As the race started, I tried to stay super comfortable. I settled in around a 6:40-6:50 min/mile. We approached the first hill of the race. A 55 foot climb in 0.13 miles (8% grade). At this point, the top chase group had pulled further ahead and was running single file. I was in the second chase group with fleet feet and red about 10-20m behind and now in 9th place.

At about the mile mark, I had my mother and wife stand to help me exchange water bottles. I had considered not carrying water at all and using the course nutrition, but because of the heat I knew I couldn't manage that strategy. So my mom was standing about 50m ahead of my wife. My mom had a water bottle filled with ice and water that I just poured all of my arms and head. Then I tossed it aside and Steph and G were to give me the drinking water bottle. G hasn't quite mastered the "hand-off" the water bottle technique. As I ran up to her, she kind of pulled a "Lucy" on me.

giphy-2.gif

Right as I reached out for the bottle, "yoink" no you don't! So then I came to a moment of brief panic as I was passing them without having grabbed the water. Then, I turned around and started running backwards, and my wife sprinted to catch up to me with the water. No worries, the exchange was made and I was back to moving. Hit the first mile marker at 6:55. The 2nd chase group had gained about 10m on me so I had to slowly close back on them. After about 100m, I had caught back up to the second group and was still feeling comfortable at the slightly faster pace so I decided to hold. I could tell from red and fleet feet's breathing that they weren't going to stay with me any longer. I was now in 7th place and the pursuit was on to try and catch the first chase group as I was no longer a pack runner. They were probably 200m ahead of me at the time, still all single file running in a pack.

I hit the 2nd mile at 7:02 still in hot pursuit. We came upon the second hill. At this point, the first chase group had started to break apart. Red in the lead of the group, then blue, then green, then black, then black. It was my goal to just try and catch up to each runner one by one. The second hill was a double dip, the first part was 0.33 miles with a 34 foot ascent (2% grade), and then the second part was 0.12 miles with a 32 foot ascent (5.2% grade). I was slowly gaining ground on black jersey. As I crested the hill at about 2.5 miles, I was able to pass the black jersey. I was now in 6th place and closing. The next runner was only another 20-30m ahead and I just kept reeling him in. As we hit mile 2.9, I had made some progress on the next black jersey, but not a ton. I was hoping that upcoming downhill was where I could make my move. The 3rd mile was a 7:20 min/mile.

The downhill was 0.15 miles and 44 feet (5.4% decline). I tried to stay super loose and let the hill pull me downwards. Controlled my breathing and was gaining ground on 5th place. As we reached the bottom of the hill, black jersey and I pulled even. As I slowly passed him, it became clear that unlike the other runners he was not going to give up his spot so easily. Staying on my tail, then next to me, then ahead, then next to, then tail. Just jockeying back and forth. Both of us on a pursuit of green jersey who was 200-300m ahead of us. We came upon the first hill gain (looped course) and starting running into the back end of the 5k runners. Another 55 foot climb in 0.13 miles (8% grade). Black jersey and I still even, and green still about 150-250m ahead. But slowly and surely we were reeling him in.

I hit the 4th mile in a 7:12 min/mile (thanks to the downhill). I was able to grab the water from my mom for dousing again, and then Steph handed me the drinking water. No yoink this time! The race was on. Only 2ish miles left and I was sitting in 5th place. All males ahead of me, and I knew white shirt was definitely Male 30-39. I was quite confident the other 4 runners may also be M 30-39, but the black jersey I was jockeying with was likely a 40-49 male. Still gaining on green, and black jersey was sticking about 10-15m behind me. At about 4.7 miles, I had green in my sights. Now he was only about 50m ahead and I was still gaining on him stride after stride. I stuck as close to the cones as possible as were now in the thick of the 5k runners. We were on a single lane so enough space for 4-5 across. I was hoping to minimize weaving by not enjoying the shade like most others.

I hit the 5th mile in a 7:22 min/mile. All that was left was the biggest hill, the downhill, and then the final sprint to the finish. As I rounded the corner towards the final hill, I was probably 10m behind green jersey and still only holding a slight lead on black jersey. To my dismay, this year the final hill wasn't in the road. Instead we were all relegated to the sidewalk. Ack! :scared: What was once 4-5 across, was now only 2 across. This was likely to play a role in the final run to the finish. I was able to get right behind green jersey at this point and black right behind me. Dodge left, dodge right. Then, the final hill. A 0.37 miles with 49 foot ascent (2.5% grade). As we crested the hill, I pulled even with green singlet. And suddenly, he picked up the pace. I don't think I knew I was right there with him. The issue with running even two abreast meant that as we encountered 5k'ers on the downhill one of the two of us was going to be blocked. So I kept slowing up and getting behind him and then getting next to. As we got close to the bottom of the hill I was able to slightly pull ahead, and then he had to go behind me. At this point I saw red singlet. There was 3rd place. He was about 150m ahead and looked out of reach, but he definitely seemed like he was struggling. Maybe or maybe not we could catch him.

Hit the 5.8 mile mark and green singlet was right in front, then me, then black jersey. I knew this final stretch of road may decide AG placement. I wasn't going to let be passed in the last 20-40m of the race like last year all over again. I summoned all that Daniels 10k mile pacing to try and muster one last move. Green jersey made the move first, but only a gradual pick-up. As soon as he did that, I decided to go all out. Everything I could muster for those last few seconds. And I knew no matter what I couldn't let up. Maybe they could cover, maybe they couldn't. Maybe they were M 30-39, and maybe they weren't. But I knew regardless, I needed to do everything I could to finish ahead of these two. Fourth place and possible top 3 AG was on the line. Finish line... I see it... Just keep moving... GLORIOUS! 4th place!!!

Final time - 43:47

But but but..... what was the AG of the other males ahead of me. Was 4th place OA also 4th place AG??? Hooray!!! Overall male was pulled, so I ended up in 2nd place in AG!

party:

The goal was achieved! A top 3 AG finish in the Hot2Trot 10k! It turns out the guy behind me was indeed M 30-39. So it ended up being a battle for 3rd place.

IMG_0757.JPG

You can see green jersey just over my shoulder. Guess he was closer than I thought.

19225529_10154714888346794_6578706487769758123_n.jpg

My mom had a better picture. Now you can see green jersey and black jersey just right behind me.

IMG_0759.JPG

Arm sleeves worked quite well this year. I've found that they excel in holding the cold temperature of water better than skin. Without cold water, they're not that useful for running (at least that's how they feel to me).

IMG_0762.JPG

Nailed it!

IMG_0768.JPG

Woot Woot!

IMG_0770.JPG

Ack, look at the camera...

IMG_0781.JPG

Cheese!

IMG_0783.JPG

The bobblehead fireman trophy! Oh, how I have dreamed about you for a year!

Final Stats

Final Time - 43:47
Distance - 6.09 miles (bit short again) guess I'm too good at running the tangents. Thankfully the goal wasn't time based, and it was a miss for a new PR anyways (Disney was 43:25).
Overall - 4/43 (9%)
Gender - 4/23 (17%)
AG - 2/10 (20%) *Tied AG % PR (Lakefront Marathon)

Garmin
Strava
Results Link

Final Summary

The goal for the race was a top 3 AG and that goal was achieved. I also got a great race experience. But clearly, the time is far off the predictions and what my fitness was just weeks/months ago.

During the Boss Battle week (4/30/17), I was able to do a 8 mile Tempo + 1 mile T + 2 mile Tempo (11 total miles) at an average 6:55 min/mile pace with an average HR of 145. I also set a training 10k PR of 42:46 in the middle of a marathon training run. The weather conditions on that morning, T+D of 78, WC of 32, 15mph wind and cloudy with light rain. So today's race was approximately 61 degrees warmer and no sun (thus solar radiation).

Secondly, was Bunny Head Time Trial #1 (5/13/17), I was able to run a 5k in 19:30. A massive 1:32 PR and a ~7% improvement. The weather conditions on that morning, T+D of 103 and cloudy. Again, about 36 degrees warmer today and no sun (thus no solar radiation).

I truly struggle with heat (relative of course) and the sun. So those prior results definitely suggest that my best performances come on truly cold days. Once the sun shows up or the T+D goes over 100, then things start to fall apart for me (pace-wise). PS, the clouds rolled in about 20 minutes after I crossed the finish line. UGH... really....

Now.... the real fun begins...marathon training!

Last edited:
Congrats!

Thanks!

Exciting race report! Well done on the placing!!

Thanks!

I still have to read the whole recap but I cheated and scrolled to the ending.

:banana::banana::banana:

popcorn::

You kill me! I have to admit I obviously try to write it with the suspense of not knowing the final result.

Congrats on meeting your goal! Great recap!

Thanks!

Congratulations Billy!

Great report. I will admit however that I scrolled to the end and then went back and reread. Your enthusiasm was so contagious that I needed to see how it ended.

Congrats again. Well done.

Thanks! You guys are so funny. So much suspense!

Congrats. Can't wait to learn all about that technical stuff. I do love data analysis, I do it for work. I can't bring myself to it for my running. Guess it is time I do that.

Thanks! If you love data analysis then you're going to LOVE the post about the Lakefront Marathon training plan. It's chock full! Still putting the finishing touches on it.

Nice work. I've always wondered what it's like to be a speedster having to lap the slower or the shorter distance folks in situations like this. Glad you got your bobblehead! And I'm loving the water bottle yoinks (even though I'm sure you didn't love it in the moment)

party:

Nice work. I've always wondered what it's like to be a speedster having to lap the slower or the shorter distance folks in situations like this.

It wasn't so much an issue last year because we were in the road. But it definitely played a role this year. But no issues at all. Just called out as I approached and everyone moved over without any issue.

Glad you got your bobblehead!

We haven't decided where we'll display it yet.

And I'm loving the water bottle yoinks (even though I'm sure you didn't love it in the moment)

party:

Yea.... not so much... but really, it didn't cost me anything. But in the moment, it sure made me nervous.

Congratulations!!! I totally peeked at Strava from work this afternoon to see what happened, so that was cheating too. But, it didn't stop my heart rate from rising as I read that recap! =P

Thanks! Sounds like I'm going to have to hold suspense for Lakefront by not posting to social media until the recap is finished. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!