To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

I stayed at the Palmer a few years ago and remember it being easily accessible and safe. Didn't have a car with us though, so no parking fees.

Love the look of your new race schedule, and love that you decided to put Chicago in that very important spot!!

Thanks! I'm excited about the Chicago choice. Steph is excited too because she's wanted to get back there with an older G for a while now.

I am hoping it’s just too soon to book the Hilton. Looks like reservations are going through end of sep 2018. I am watching it like a hawk though.

UrE5xvQ.gif

Loving the new race schedule!!!

Thanks!

Great race schedule!!

Thanks!

I need to plot one of these too, maybe it will help withh the speedy ealing ;)

It definitely brings a sense of excitement!

I am so interested in Chicago 2018.

Do it. Do it. Do it!

We stayed at the Congress Hotel right across from Grant Park. Pros: Great location, huge rooms - Cons: if you don't get a room with a view, you get an inner room with a view of nothing, or in our case, an air conditioning unit. o_O

Interesting. I think I could live without a room with a view, but an AC unit might be interesting to stare at...

I stayed at the Palmer a few years ago and remember it being easily accessible and safe. Didn't have a car with us though, so no parking fees.

Thanks for the recommendation! Seems like there are several good choices!

One thing to consider to avoid the Chicago parking fees, and likely an option from WI...train. I know there are some great deals on the train for us if we go out of Port Huron MI and you are dropped off right downtown.

One thing to consider to avoid the Chicago parking fees, and likely an option from WI...train. I know there are some great deals on the train for us if we go out of Port Huron MI and you are dropped off right downtown.

That's certainly an option to consider for us. Pretty sure my SIL and Steph have done it several times. Thanks for the tip!

Agree regarding the train! We've done this many times and just love saving on parking. Amtrak usually offers great deals for kids, and the train ride has been the highlight of the Chicago visit on many occasions. Chicago with kids is so fun at Gigi's age!

We have friends and family in Chicago, but it's been a while since there has been enough space in anyone's home for our family of five, so we're familiar with most of the hotels listed. We really love the Kimpton hotels - only negative is lack of pools, because @mateojr is really into swimming. We (18yo and I) have a week-long reservation at Palmer House in February for a college audition extravaganza - we've stayed there before, but I can provide an updated report then! (And we're definitely taking the train then - parking for a week would be crazy expensive.)

That sounds like a good plan!

Don't worry, you don't even hold the crown. Someone else has 362 messages since one year ago. :D

:scratchin :teacher:

I think it counts. You tend to start new PMs and ask in the journal so much harder to track those.

Thanks! It was certainly exciting! I think I read prior to the Nebraska game that winning it would give the Badgers a 99% chance to win the west if they won. So just need to take of business from here.

The Chicago Marathon was fun to watch. My wife looked at me this morning while we were watching and said to me, "So, you're running this next year." It wasn't a question but a statement. Sounds eerily familiar after reading @roxymama 's journal a few moments ago.

Like crazy crazy fast. I can't even maintain their pace for much more than 200-400m. That's NUTS!
I have a feeling I'm up there in the question department... poor Billy!!

Agree regarding the train! We've done this many times and just love saving on parking. Amtrak usually offers great deals for kids, and the train ride has been the highlight of the Chicago visit on many occasions. Chicago with kids is so fun at Gigi's age!

I guess I didn't think of it like that but that's probably true.

We have friends and family in Chicago, but it's been a while since there has been enough space in anyone's home for our family of five, so we're familiar with most of the hotels listed. We really love the Kimpton hotels - only negative is lack of pools, because @mateojr is really into swimming. We (18yo and I) have a week-long reservation at Palmer House in February for a college audition extravaganza - we've stayed there before, but I can provide an updated report then! (And we're definitely taking the train then - parking for a week would be crazy expensive.)

Keep me in the loop! Although we'll probably make our reservations in the next month or so.

I have a feeling I'm up there in the question department... poor Billy!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Just based on PMs alone - you're the champ!

punchpunchpunch.gif

#1 - 363
#2 - 222
#3 - 166
#4 - 165
#5 - 155
#6 - 152
#7 - 131
#8 - 119
#9 - 114
#10 - 105

You guys keep me busy for sure!

PS - I2tAwvj.gif

Is there a better gif then this one? Guess the celebrity!

I guess I didn't think of it like that but that's probably true.

Keep me in the loop! Although we'll probably make our reservations in the next month or so.

View attachment 276197

Just based on PMs alone - you're the champ!

View attachment 276200

#1 - 363
#2 - 222
#3 - 166
#4 - 165
#5 - 155
#6 - 152
#7 - 131
#8 - 119
#9 - 114
#10 - 105

You guys keep me busy for sure!

PS - View attachment 276201

Is there a better gif then this one? Guess the celebrity!
Whoops!! I'm a teachers worst nightmare :-) luckily I've learned a ton so maybe you'll see less for year 2!

Also, my guess is Tom Selleck!

::yes::

Anyone got Chicago Marathon hotel recommendations? We're thinking Saturday, Sunday and Monday night stay with Monday/Tuesday as shopping and Aquarium.

@cburnett11 @roxymama @BikeFan @Wendy98

Congrats on wanting to do Chicago. I love the World Majors and Chicago Marathon is fantastic. I think you have LOTS of time before worrying about a hotel. Last year, I booked late August (for October) and there was still tons of availability. The only race I book super early is Boston--I book about 3 weeks after I run that year's Boston, as soon as Marathon Tours opens it up. Definitely book through the Chicago Marathon site. The rates are really good compared to other places unless you have points you are cashing in. I stayed at the Omni (https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/chicago) and it was great. I am all about location and try to stay close to Michigan Avenue (usually north of the river). The rooms are all suites. It was just dh and I, but there would have been room for my kids (we even got a corner room). I have also stayed at The Westin on Michigan Ave (not for the marathon) and it was a great location. Do not park through the hotel! There are lots of companies that you can prebook parking through. We paid around $25/day instead of the $$$ the hotel was charging. The garage was across the street from the hotel and ironically, the same garage the hotel parks guest cars in.

Don't stay by the expo--it is far. They run free shuttles to get you there, so no need to figure out the driving. It takes awhile, so Uber may be a better choice.

We stayed Fri-Sun since I had to get back for my kids and school. The hotel let us have a later check out, but dh was still rushing me to get done (after I ran a marathon!) because we needed to go.

I am still undecided if I will do Chicago again next year. I am so sad to DNS this year.

Congrats on wanting to do Chicago. I love the World Majors and Chicago Marathon is fantastic. I think you have LOTS of time before worrying about a hotel. Last year, I booked late August (for October) and there was still tons of availability. The only race I book super early is Boston--I book about 3 weeks after I run that year's Boston, as soon as Marathon Tours opens it up. Definitely book through the Chicago Marathon site. The rates are really good compared to other places unless you have points you are cashing in. I stayed at the Omni (https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/chicago) and it was great. I am all about location and try to stay close to Michigan Avenue (usually north of the river). The rooms are all suites. It was just dh and I, but there would have been room for my kids (we even got a corner room). I have also stayed at The Westin on Michigan Ave (not for the marathon) and it was a great location. Do not park through the hotel! There are lots of companies that you can prebook parking through. We paid around $25/day instead of the $$$ the hotel was charging. The garage was across the street from the hotel and ironically, the same garage the hotel parks guest cars in.

Don't stay by the expo--it is far. They run free shuttles to get you there, so no need to figure out the driving. It takes awhile, so Uber may be a better choice.

We stayed Fri-Sun since I had to get back for my kids and school. The hotel let us have a later check out, but dh was still rushing me to get done (after I ran a marathon!) because we needed to go.

I am still undecided if I will do Chicago again next year. I am so sad to DNS this year.

This is all great info! Thanks for sharing!

If anyone is interested in trying RunGum (caffeine gum), they're having a 40% off sale the next few days. Code - RG3for40 (link)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter