To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

I just did my first LIIFT workout this morning based on the recommendations here. It didn't seem too bad at the beginning, but I can feel it now!

Are you only doing three LIIFT workouts per week instead of the scheduled four (if I'm reading your past week's schedule correctly)? I'm trying to figure out how to fit it in along with running....It might be time for a new DopeyBadger training program! dun dun dun :crazy:

It didn't seem too bad at the beginning, but I can feel it now!

Hard in the moment, then fine somewhat later in the day, and then the DOMS settles in the next day like a ton of bricks.

Are you only doing three LIIFT workouts per week instead of the scheduled four (if I'm reading your past week's schedule correctly)? I'm trying to figure out how to fit it in along with running....It might be time for a new DopeyBadger training program! dun dun dun :crazy:

Yes, I'm doing 3x per week. I was doing something like this before:

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 10.46.57 AM.png

Now, I'm going to try and do this instead for the next few weeks:

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 10.47.04 AM.png

I'm also dropping all of the brick workouts. So the LIIFT4 days will occur at the same time as 80DO used to. Where 80DO was still following the 13 week plan minus the other 3 days per week, with LIIFT4 (at this moment) I'm going to do all 4 workouts (including legs) of each week of the program but spread over 3x per week. It remains to be seen if I can keep LIIFT4 leg day in there once running and cycling increase in intensity. Ideally, LIIFT4 leg day will only ever occur on Tuesday mornings since I think it'll have the least impact there on recovery and ability to run/cycle.

Fun Fact: I've set a PR every year that I've been running since 2012. Let's keep that streak going in 2020!

2012 - Marathon (only race)
2013 - Half Marathon (only race)
2014 - 5k, 10k, Half Marathon, and Marathon (x2)
2015 - 10k, Half Marathon (x3), and Marathon
2016 - 5k, 10k (x2), and Marathon (x2)
2017 - 5k (x2), 10k, and Marathon (x2)
2018 - 5k, 10k, and Half Marathon
2019 - Half Marathon
2020 - ???

I'd say the low hanging fruit is the official 5k PR (2018 Disney) of 20:06 since I ran a 19:27 during the first half of the 2018 Disney 10k.

I'm with @SarahDisney, 2020 is the year that you get that marathon PR!

Here's hoping!

Always take the low-hanging fruit and rock a 5k... then onto the marathon PR.

Or do like I did in 2015 and set both (or very nearly did) in the same race! Ok, that's probably an unreasonable expectation at this point. We'll see how the next few weeks play out before I make a decision on Spring racing. I've got until March 1st for most of the price increases.

??? Week to Go! (???) + Some running and some cycling + LIIFT4

2/3/20 - M - OFF
2/4/20 - T - LIIFT4-Back/Biceps + Ramp Test (34 min; 39 TSS)
2/5/20 - W - 60 min Run at Easy
2/6/20 - R - Pettit-1 (60 min; 27 TSS) + 5 x 2.5 min CV Run at Easy
2/7/20 - F - LIIFT4-Shoulders + Shasta (60 min; 61 TSS)
2/8/20 - Sa - 100 min at LR (Run) + LIIFT4-Chest/Tri
2/9/20 - Su - Conness (165 min; 109 TSS)

Total Run Miles - 26.9 miles
Total Run Time - 3:38 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking Time - 5:19 hours
Total Biking TSS - 236 TSS

Total FIIT4 Time - 1:59 hours
Total FIIT4 TSS - x TSS

Total Training Time - 10:58 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Just some highlights!

-Wrapped up another Ramp Test on Tuesday. Was anxious to see whether the quad would handle it since it's a ride to exhaustion.
Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 4.32.01 PM.png
Dropped as expected, but overall I'm fine with how it dropped.

-First attempt at a SOS run went well. I decided to go with 5 x 2.5 min CV pace with a 1 min floating RI. GAP average was 6:41.
-Gigi got a fever Friday morning and I regretted sharing Mac-n-Cheese with her Thursday night. My resting HR was up, so the body was likely fighting. Woke up with a sore throat on Saturday, but so far nothing like she had.
-5 inches of snow forecasted for Sunday, so I went with the long run on Saturday instead. Since I hadn't had much quad pain yet in any of the runs, I decided to pull out the Next% for the long run to see whether they caused any issues. Nope. Not them either. Started somewhat slow in the 8s, and then naturally things started to feel better as the run went along. Was down in the 7:30s GAP from mile 3 to 12. GAP average was 7:38. Decided to pull out a fast finish and did the last lap (0.43 mi) in 6:37 pace. Felt good overall. Garmin VO2max back up to 57 and HR for the run was 139. Which is a 3 bpm drop from last week despite the GAP average increasing by 3 sec/mi. Heading in the right direction in the early moments.
-Did the 2:45 hrs of cycling Sunday morning, but the snow has been too heavy to worry about doing a 45 min Easy Run.

Going to continue playing the waiting game to see how the rest of February unfolds before making decisions on Spring racing.

Not a big extreme downhill marathon runner. My quads consistently have been my weak spot and those would only further emphasize that. Something gentle or flat usually allows me to perform better. But I appreciate the thought!

Can you talk about this? The importance of quad strength for downhill running? I am able to run UP most hills but must walk down most hills. I know it's a quad strength issue, I'm just wondering if you can explain why that is.

thanks!

Can you talk about this? The importance of quad strength for downhill running? I am able to run UP most hills but must walk down most hills. I know it's a quad strength issue, I'm just wondering if you can explain why that is.

thanks!

These will be helpful in understanding.

https://www.triathlete.com/2012/11/training/tips-for-downhill-running_16470https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20822542/avoid-downhill-disasters/
For me, I try to increase my cadence even more on the downhill and focus even harder on being completely relaxed. Don't fight the downhill but rather glide down it. I feel like this decreases the "braking forces" that I feel in my legs in the process.

thanks for the links. They did a good job explaining & recommending exercises.

For me, I try to increase my cadence even more on the downhill and focus even harder on being completely relaxed. Don't fight the downhill but rather glide down it. I feel like this decreases the "braking forces" that I feel in my legs in the process.

I will try this.

Those chalkboards are SO cute. Did you draw them yourself?

We did make them. A sequence of steps:

1) Upload image into Powerpoint.
2) Change Page Setup to desired size.
3) Save as pdf
4) Open pdf
5) Print as "Poster" so it covers multiple pages
6) Tape printed pages together to form image
7) Cover the back of the paper with chalk
8) Tape onto black foam core board
9) Trace over printed image
10) Remove printed image from foam core board
11) Trace over chalk markings with chalk marker

Finished!

??? Week to Go! (???) + Some running and some cycling + LIIFT4

2/10/20 - M - OFF
2/11/20 - T - Shortoff+1 (60 min; 68 TSS) + LIIFT4-Legs
2/12/20 - W - 60 min Run at Easy
2/13/20 - R - Pettit-1 (60 min; 27 TSS) + 5 x 3 min CV w/ 5x10 sec Sprint Run at Easy
2/14/20 - F - LIIFT4-Back/Biceps + Berryessa (60 min; 63 TSS)
2/15/20 - Sa - Virginia (105 min; 76 TSS) + 45 min Run at Easy
2/16/20 - Su - 4up+3MT+1HMT+1down (Run) + LIIFT4-Shoulders

Total Run Miles - 27.0 miles
Total Run Time - 3:45 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking Time - 4:45 hours
Total Biking TSS - 234 TSS

Total FIIT4 Time - 1:36 hours
Total FIIT4 TSS - x TSS

Total Training Time - 10:06 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Highlights

-G's birthday was Tuesday which meant I needed to switch the bike to the morning. Did my first VO2max intervals of the cycle and doing them in the morning is ROUGH. It was immediately obvious that my body was not ready for hard intervals at 4:30am.
-Intervals on Thursday were at -11F. I had to do them blind and did alright. GAP was 6:32 and each were progressively faster. Given there was ice and snow, I think I made the most of it.
-Lots of parties this week for the kiddo!
-Happy with the Sunday run. The GAP was 6:58 for the 4 miles. Still some things to clean up, but I'll take it for the first tempo run of the training cycle. Definitely not where I need to be if I'm racing in 55 days, but there's still time to see if I can make the necessary gains.

Stoked that I got picked for a research study on body composition techniques. They're going to give me the full data on:
  • Measures of height and weight
  • Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) scan for muscle, fat, and bone analysis
  • Ultrasound measures of muscle quantity and quality
  • Bioimpedance spectroscopy (BIS) measures of body fluid volume
  • Resting energy expenditure
  • Physical function and strength battery (non-strenuous)
I've always been curious about these things and now I get them for free.

Stoked that I got picked for a research study on body composition techniques. They're going to give me the full data on:
  • Measures of height and weight
  • Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) scan for muscle, fat, and bone analysis
  • Ultrasound measures of muscle quantity and quality
  • Bioimpedance spectroscopy (BIS) measures of body fluid volume
  • Resting energy expenditure
  • Physical function and strength battery (non-strenuous)
I've always been curious about these things and now I get them for free.

That's so cool! I've always wanted to do a lot of those as well, but haven't due to cost and inconvenience. How did you get into the study?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter