To those who use the gallon ziplock packing method :)

mrsgthatsme

Mouseketeer
I know I have seen a number of people on this board who have stated they have had success packing their own or their kids’ outfits for each day in a gallon ziplock bag. I had a couple of questions... first, do you roll or fold the clothes? Do they wrinkle very badly? Do you unpack them and hang them up once you are onboard or just put the ziplocks in the drawers? Any other ziplock packing tips would be appreciated along with any other suggestions. We will be doing 2 days at WDW prior to our cruise so thinking through the best way to manage the clothes! Thanks!

Not a cruiser, but there are roll-up space bags you can get as well. We used them on our last trip to WDW and it saved so much room. So look into that if you can.

I used ziplocks until recently, most often when my children were younger. I didn't roll but would carefully fold and place their outfit, including socks and underwear in a bag for each day. I'd leave them in the bag until ready to use. I continued using the gallon and larger bags I found in Walmart/ Target for us, mostly keeping like items together until last year when I decided to try packing cubes. I purchased these on amazon and have now switched 100% to these. Works great to keep organized when moving from hotel to cruise and vice versa. I bought a variety of sizes and 2 different colors to keep my items separate from DH's. I do hang items likely to wrinkle, but otherwise I keep most things in the cubes and just move those to drawer or cubby when unpacking. For what its worth, last trip my husband rolled while I folded and my clothes ended up less wrinkled. Another reason I like the packing cubes is that I can start packing weeks ahead of time and just toss the cubes in the suitcase when ready to go!

We used ziplock for many years but now that the kids are older it does not work. I never rolled but everything came out nicely. It made getting ready for the day so easy.

I roll clothes and use packing cubes. They don't wrinkle much, and the wrinkles will fall out when you hang the items. We do unpack on the ship - the drawers are just not shaped right to keep things in packing cubes and maximize the space.

Tried packing cubes. Hated them.

Went back to ziplock bags (adult here so I use the 2-gallon ones). MUCH better IMHO - you can see everything. Whether I roll or fold depends on what it is.

Packed for a running cruise plus pre and post cruise stay in them and had carry-on only for 10 days. Perfection.

We organize with packing cubes.

Everything fits better rolled.

Life changing!!!
I was going to make this suggestion if no one else had.....and I can't agree with you more. Packing cubes for life. We just used them for the first time, family of 4 and by the end of the trip my husband was tired of me constantly telling him how much I loved the packing cubes.

My new favorite thing: compression packing cubes. And I thought regular packing cubes were great!

I roll t-shirts and athletic shorts so wrinkles either don’t happen or aren’t a big deal. Nicer clothes get folded. We too use the packing cubes. Life changing!

We organize with packing cubes.

Everything fits better rolled.

Life changing!!!

We've been using them for almost 10 years and I won't travel without them. My favorite piece is the packing folder. Everything comes out nice and it makes it very easy to fold everything to the exact size that fits and lies flat.

I had always used the large storage type zip lock bags, but for our last cruise I used packing cubes. I loved the cubes, I was able to get so much more into our suitcases using them. I folded our clothes and then put the cubes in the drawers and cabinets. I did hang up a few items. I bought several sets in different colors, so everyone has their own color to use. I'll never go back to using zip lock bags.

I get more in my medium (10x14) packing cubes by folding than by rolling. My things come out looking better when folded, too.

As for ziplocks, they are great if you can do a whole outfit in one. For little kids, this is possible, because one wear of any clothing item and it needs washing. But for the older ones who can wear jeans or shorts a few times before washing, it becomes a little more difficult to organize for a day. But I think it would be a great idea for formalwear and costumes - those one-off things that only get worn together and not mixed with other items.

I was going to make this suggestion if no one else had.....and I can't agree with you more. Packing cubes for life. We just used them for the first time, family of 4 and by the end of the trip my husband was tired of me constantly telling him how much I loved the packing cubes.
About how many cubes do you need for a family of four for a week? It's so hard to tell how much will fit into each cube. I almost feel like we would need a whole set of 4 for each family member which would get pricey!

The kids and I each have a set of small medium and large. Each has our own color. Husband had 3 larges.

We have a set of mediums for “family clothes.” Jammies and swim suits. Maybe the kids dress clothes for a wedding.

They held everything for 8 days in Hawaii.

Keeps everything SO ORGANIZED. For short trips each of us just uses one cube.

The outlay was pricey but we use them every time we travel including camping. We seem to travel a lot because they’ve been used 7 times since we got them a year ago. It’s somuch better than keeping 4 peoples stuff organized in one suitcase. Or even worse a duffle bag.

Worth every penny.

I use packing cubes and for my kids I will roll up an outfit together. So for DS I’d fold a T-shirt in half and a pair of shorts in half and then put one on top of other and roll them. Then I put the cubes in drawers. When it was time for him to get dressed DH or I could just hand him a roll.

It’s not a wrinkle free method, but then neither is folding clothes ‍♀️.

Gallon ziplocs when the girls were younger. Entire outfits plus matching hair clips and ribbons. Worked amazingly well when they were little.

I am intrigued with these cubes!

I roll entire outfits together for my kids. For ex, for my son - I'll lay his shirt down on the ground, put the shorts on top (folded across the seam down the middle), fold the sleeves over the shorts, add the underwear and socks on top, and roll the rectangle of clothes up. All I have to hand him when he showers is a single roll containing everything he needs. We're all so much happier, LOL! So I do unpack, b/c all I have to do is line up rolls of outfits in the drawer. I can always tell what the outfit is by the outside shirt. Only dressy clothes get unrolled and hung up for us all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter