Tokyo refurbs and change of strategy?

meryll83

All it takes is faith and trust...
Just discovered the refurbs list and there are a couple of attractions I'm really gutted are going to be down while we're there...
We leave on 26th May, do you think there's any chance ToT might reopen early?
I'm assuming Pirates isn't too different from the other parks so can deal with that, but with Tower being quite different and Journey so unique... gutted!

http://info.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/schedule/stop/stop_list.html

Also, this probably means we need to change our strategy - what will become the most popular DisneySea attractions with Tower and Journey both closed and how might that change our strategy for FPs etc?

Last edited:
I wouldn't bet on ToT re-opening early. You MAY get lucky, but it's somewhat unlikely.

I can't remember which ride it was, but I know on one of my visits the ride was due to re-open the very next day (i.e. after my last day in the parks). And it didn't re-open early. Even if it did re-open early, I'm not sure it would be "advertised", so I don't know how you would know unless you walked up to the ride to check.

ToT and Journey are probably two of the most popular rides at DisneySea. Certainly, the two most thrilling. Toy Story Mania is always popular, but that may not be an issue if you frequently visit the US parks. Finding Nemo / Dory is probably popular, simply because it's new. The thrill seekers will probably have to make do with Indiana Jones and Raging Spirits, so they may be busier than usual. I wouldn't worry about Raging Spirits unless you have plenty of time or the standby time is short. It's a very brief and not particularly memorable ride.

As Agent 86, assume TOT won't reopen early sadly. Maybe a day at most, but three? That would be quite unusual.

If both TOT and Journey were down when I planned to go, I would litterally cancel my trip. Journey is my favorite ride ever and TOT is quite amazing and a day at TDS without both would not happen for me.

Raging Spirits and Indiana Jones Adventure have great single riders lines, so make Toy Story Mania! you top priority for fast passes.

I’d like to move the trip if I could but with non-refundable flights from the UK, non-refundable hotel rate in Tokyo and a tour around more of Japan already booked it’s just not a possibility (unless money was no object!)
Just the worst luck for a literal once in a lifetime trip as they were probably the 2 attractions I was most looking forward to experiencing!

We're going to be there in June when Journey is down as well and my daughter is quite disappointed because she didn't make the height line last June. I'm OK with it, it's a good ride and all but it is just a ride. I don't actually like Tokyo Disney ToT. The theming is a little silly and over the top and the ride itself felt wimpy compared to WDW ToT.

The new Nemo ride was fun if you like motion simulators. We went on it 2x and it was a favorite of my daughter's and she is not particularly fond of the Nemo characters, though she did enjoy snorkeling in real life.

I would think Nemo and Toy Story will be the most crowded rides, but since many visitors to Tokyo Disney are internal, if Journey and ToT are down it's possible your crowds will be a lot more sparse, which is also a big yay!

Japan is so much more than just amusement parks and going in May is going to cut down on your crowds for regular tourist sights but still give you beautiful weather. Maybe some of the iris gardens will even be in bloom. Just think of all the opportunities you will have elsewhere in Japan. I wish I could go in May, but we need to wait until school ends.

Good luck!

I would think Nemo and Toy Story will be the most crowded rides, but since many visitors to Tokyo Disney are internal, if Journey and ToT are down it's possible your crowds will be a lot more sparse, which is also a big yay!

Japan is so much more than just amusement parks and going in May is going to cut down on your crowds for regular tourist sights but still give you beautiful weather. Maybe some of the iris gardens will even be in bloom. Just think of all the opportunities you will have elsewhere in Japan. I wish I could go in May, but we need to wait until school ends.
Thanks for rationalising for me - of course it's still going to be an amazing trip, but initial frustration and disappointment definitely got me!
What strategy would you use to make sure we can do both Nemo and Toy Story? (although if TSM is the same/similar enough to DL and WDW we probably don't need to focus on this too much)

Thanks for rationalising for me - of course it's still going to be an amazing trip, but initial frustration and disappointment definitely got me!
What strategy would you use to make sure we can do both Nemo and Toy Story? (although if TSM is the same/similar enough to DL and WDW we probably don't need to focus on this too much)

And I hope you can forgive me if I came off a bit rude, I just... Journey is a fun ride and I understand your disappointment, but it's a trip to Japan which is just so much more than that! If I lived in Japan, I could understand canceling and rescheduling a trip, but if you live in Japan you can plan a trip on much shorter notice.

Japan is such a lovely country to visit and May is one of the nicest months. Depending on your dates, you might be able to catch wisteria, peonies and iris and I would think some places are still having flower festivals. I've never been, but you have the chance to see the Shibazakura Festival in Kawaguchiko! https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6919.html If I had a choice between that and riding Journey I'd pick the Shibazakura Festival in a second. If possible, I would try to work that into your trip. You might also be able to catch the flowers at the Hitachi Seaside Park: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6203.html You might also hit the Ashikaga Wisteria Festival: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3850.html

And if you like wilder rides and can fit it in, Nagashima Spa and near Nagoya has what is often rated as the best roller coaster in Japan (sometimes the world) a flower festival at Nabana no Sato, and onsen! Last June when I had time to visit the entire park outside the onsen was closed. (which again is another reason I do understand your disappointment)

So again, I do get your disappointment, but there so many other pluses to when you are visiting that I am sure you will have a brilliant time! :)

Toy Story is frequently an early entry ride, so if you're not interested in characters go there first, then see how long the line for Nemo is and either ride or get a FP. Toy Story was closed last June, but we do it in WDW. We have awful aim. Honestly, I think Journey and ToT down is going to make the park emptier and overall might be good. I made it on so many rides because our first day it poured.

Thank you for all the advice, it's definitely much appreciated!

Just discovered the refurbs list and there are a couple of attractions I'm really gutted are going to be down while we're there...
We leave on 26th May, do you think there's any chance ToT might reopen early?
I'm assuming Pirates isn't too different from the other parks so can deal with that, but with Tower being quite different and Journey so unique... gutted!

http://info.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/schedule/stop/stop_list.html

Also, this probably means we need to change our strategy - what will become the most popular DisneySea attractions with Tower and Journey both closed and how might that change our strategy for FPs etc?

TOT and JTOC are two of my favorite Disney rides ever. Any chance you might want to change your travel plans so that you can experience those rides?
Indy (another Disney favorite) will be closed when I go back in February , so I'm bummed about that, but at least I got to ride it twice 2 years ago :)

TOT and JTOC are two of my favorite Disney rides ever. Any chance you might want to change your travel plans so that you can experience those rides?
Indy (another Disney favorite) will be closed when I go back in February , so I'm bummed about that, but at least I got to ride it twice 2 years ago :)

This is the problem I have:
I’d like to move the trip if I could but with non-refundable flights from the UK, non-refundable hotel rate in Tokyo and a tour around more of Japan already booked it’s just not a possibility (unless money was no object!)
Just the worst luck for a literal once in a lifetime trip as they were probably the 2 attractions I was most looking forward to experiencing!

I've not been to the Chinese Parks and the last time I went to Paris Disney it was "Euro" Disney and a complete flop, so empty.. but I go to Disneyland and WDW on a fairly frequent basis...

I prefer ToT in WDW over the one in Disney Sea. ToT in Sea felt "wimpier" because the drop seemed slower and it didn't drop us as much. The theming for the ride is fantastic, but the ride itself was disappointing. I liked Journey, but I much prefer Expedition Everest and Flights of Passage in AK. I usually am only so fond of motion simulator rides, but Flights of Passage is superb. I've not done the new Guardians version of ToT in CA but I hear it is amazing. The theming looked great as I ran past it. Last trip to TDR I didn't go on ToT or Journey. My daughter refused to ride ToT and she wasn't tall enough for Journey and I have no one else to swap with. And you know what, I was OK and we still had lots of fun and a great trip to Japan.

I get being disappointed, but all the people telling you to change your plans over two rides being down make me feel like I am actually in some sort of twilight zone because, JAPAN! You're going to Japan! You're going to Japan and visiting TDR but JAPAN! May in Japan is one of the nicest months and you have so many amazing opportunities.

Sea Paradise in Yokohama is a great place to visit. It is an aqua complex with several aquarium buildings, and it has some unique features, including a huge tank of sardines that seem to swim to music. There are also some sea creatures i've never seen at other aquariums. There are some rides there, including a gorgeous rollercoaster that hangs over the bay and provides spectacular views.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!