Tony’s Town Square

only hope

DIS Veteran
I know there’s been a bit of talk about whether or not Tony’s has improved since the chef changed, so here’s a review. We ate there for the first time a few weeks ago. Sit downs are a rare treat for us as they are so expensive (we normally just pack all our food as we’re locals) and we just never got around to Tony’s before. We nearly did in May but canceled after reading reviews. The reviews improved and AP’s got 20% off last month so we gave it a try.

The free bread and olive oil are fine. Not bad, but nothing special. The fried mozzarella is very good, but extremely overpiced. Three tiny pieces maybe half the size of a normal cheesestick were served on a small saucer plate covered in a slightly spicy red sauce. It was some of the best fried mozzarella I’ve ever had, but $11 for three tiny pieces of cheese is ridiculous, even by Disney standards. It should have been $4 or three times as much cheese.

I was afraid to try anything with red sauce and paying what Tony’s charges for pasta, which is a very cheap food, wasn’t appealing. So we split the potato gnocchi with chicken. The upcharge for the chicken was a bit much; they only put two small pieces on top. But taken as a whole, it was a fairly good value. The menu said it came with fresh vegetables. We thought there’d be a small scattering of veggies with a ton of gnocchi. Instead, there was about a dozen different veggies that filled the plate, with slightly less gnocchi than we’d expected. Fresh veggies are expensive and it would take a long time to prepare a dish like that, so we felt that the dish was very nearly worth it’s price, which is saying something for Disney. It was very good, but we’d never had gnochhi before so have nothing to compare it too.

We ordered the canolli, of course. I’d never had canolli before. It was very, very good. They brought two pieces so it is very easy to share. The price isn’t bad on this either, as the serving is so large.

It took the expected 15 minutes to get a table. Once seated, service was prompt and our server was very friendly. The bill was brought between courses and returned promptly. The main room itself was nice, and we enjoyed the paintings and fountain. We did feel the wall paint was a bit plain compared to the rest of the decor.

Thank You for the nice review. We have not eaten there since 2008 and one of the girls showed an interest but I am on the fence about going.

Like you, OP, we were afraid to eat at Tony's because of all the negative reviews.
But, we thought we'd try it for ourselves this past December.
We absolutely loved the food. I had the best chicken parmasean I've ever eaten, and I have tried it at a lot of restaurants!
My husband loves good spaghetti and meatballs, which he said were perfect. The bread service was fine. I can't remember when our dessert was, but we had no complaints.
I asked the server what the change was in the food prep, and he said they got a new chef about 6 months prior to our visit who is excellent, and they are starting to get great reviews. I told him to please compliment the chef! I had come in with preconceived ideas about Tony's, but now we will make it a point to go there each visit.
As far as the cost, we find that most TS restaurants are expensive, and it was no more expensive that our other TS restaurants. We did pay more for the Boathouse, but that was for our anniversary!

Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to trying Tony's for the first time in April. Between the recent improvement in reviews and the option to book the parade package for one credit on the DDP, I figured it was time to give it a shot. Hoping for a good experience!

We were pleasantly surprised there in October. I loved the gnocchi and my DD’s casear salad and pizza were very good too. My DS and DH went in January and they enjoyed it too.

Thanks for your review of Tony's. I have never been too impressed there. We've ended up there when we had the dining plan because we wanted a sit-down. Appetizers are pretty good, but agree with you on the red sauce dishes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter