Too Early to Book? Plus Feb vs March

Purerockfury1

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are starting to plan our first Disneyland vacation as adults! Both of us haven't been in over ten years so we are really excited.

First, we are thinking either last week of February or first week of March. Any pros/cons for both of these weeks would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I went to AAA yesterday hoping to book our package and stay at the Candy Cane Inn but the women there said I was way too earlier to book anything. Is this typically true?! I was shocked that 6-7 months is considered too soon!

My husband and I are starting to plan our first Disneyland vacation as adults! Both of us haven't been in over ten years so we are really excited.

First, we are thinking either last week of February or first week of March. Any pros/cons for both of these weeks would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I went to AAA yesterday hoping to book our package and stay at the Candy Cane Inn but the women there said I was way too earlier to book anything. Is this typically true?! I was shocked that 6-7 months is considered too soon!

Oh another newbeee :welcome:

Skip AAA for travel help and go online and make your own reservations. I had a bad experience with AAA planning a Disney trip once... Never again!
If you really feel the need to go through AAA, call and ask to speak with a supervisor. Maybe they'll be able to book a package for you.

It's easy to make your own reservations.
Candy Cane Inn has booking for your time. Look or call....
Here's a link to their website http://www.candycaneinn.net/

Generally the earlier you book the lower the rates.

This link will give you an idea of what's happening through out the year. At the bottom of post #1 you'll find figment_jii's start for 2018
https://www.disboards.com/threads/2017-calendar-of-events-school-breaks-and-dlr.3528760/

Geemo

Last edited:
When you say "first week in March" do you mean the first full week in March (3/4-3/10)? The Natural Product Expo happens that weekend over at the Anaheim Convention Center. It's a huge expo and while it might have a major impact on crowds in the park, it can have a considerable impact on hotel availability. The Jr. Nationals (Cheerleading/Sprit) competition will be held on February 25, 2018 (Sun) over at the Anaheim Convention Center. In the past, they've had workshops over at the Hyperion Theater (I don't know if that's happening again next year).

I'd book now. We already have our hotel at HomeWood suites for late march.

You can get aaa discount direct through the hotels.

How long are you staying and why candy Cane? There's lots of new hotels in the area.

Not too early- book now on your own. You're Internet proficient as evidenced by your involvement here so pull up the websites of hotels you're interested in (many have AAA rates- and you don't have to go through AAA!) and if you see a FULLY REFUNDABLE rate you like book it. If it drops- re-book!

Thank you!

Oh another newbeee :welcome:

Skip AAA for travel help and go online and make your own reservations. I had a bad experience with AAA planning a Disney trip once... Never again!
If you really feel the need to go through AAA, call and ask to speak with a supervisor. Maybe they'll be able to book a package for you.

It's easy to make your own reservations.
Candy Cane Inn has booking for your time. Look or call....
Here's a link to their website http://www.candycaneinn.net/

Generally the earlier you book the lower the rates.

This link will give you an idea of what's happening through out the year. At the bottom of post #1 you'll find figment_jii's start for 2018
https://www.disboards.com/threads/2017-calendar-of-events-school-breaks-and-dlr.3528760/

Geemo

At first we were going to do
March 3-10 but after hearing about the convention we're thinking feb 26-march 2. Any idea if cheerleading event have an impact on those days? Thank you

When you say "first week in March" do you mean the first full week in March (3/4-3/10)? The Natural Product Expo happens that weekend over at the Anaheim Convention Center. It's a huge expo and while it might have a major impact on crowds in the park, it can have a considerable impact on hotel availability. The Jr. Nationals (Cheerleading/Sprit) competition will be held on February 25, 2018 (Sun) over at the Anaheim Convention Center. In the past, they've had workshops over at the Hyperion Theater (I don't know if that's happening again next year).[/QU

we were supposed to go the first week of february last year, but because of a snowstorm here, we canceled and went the first week of March instead. It was okay, but more crowded than the first time we went. I am thinking it may have been more crowded than if we'd have gone in february. We don't go on weekends, only during the week, but it did seem very busy.

I'd definitely book now and like everyone else said, you don't need a travel agent. I find it's often cheaper to book on my own vs. doing a package.
It's so hard to predict crowds anymore. We went at the very end of February last year and it was very crowded. It was surprising as we were expecting lower crowds. Ive never been in March so I don't have any comments on that.
Since it'll only be the 2 of you and you're not traveling with a large group or a lot of small children you'll be able to navigate the crowds easier anyway (if it's crowded when you're there).

When you say "first week in March" do you mean the first full week in March (3/4-3/10)? The Natural Product Expo happens that weekend over at the Anaheim Convention Center. It's a huge expo and while it might have a major impact on crowds in the park, it can have a considerable impact on hotel availability. The Jr. Nationals (Cheerleading/Sprit) competition will be held on February 25, 2018 (Sun) over at the Anaheim Convention Center. In the past, they've had workshops over at the Hyperion Theater (I don't know if that's happening again next year).

Well, this just answered a question I had. I couldn't figure out why it was nearly impossible to find a reservation (that works for our family) for Sunday the 11th! We had BWPPI for the 12th-16th but needed to change to the 11th-14th. Online kept showing it was sold out, but I was able to make the change over the phone.

As for the OP: as soon as I think we *might* go to Disneyland... I book a hotel. Then I keep looking. Glad you got a reservation and it worked out for you.

When did you end up booking?? We're debating the same thing...end of Feb or early March, maybe end of April. The sooner the better for me! ;)
We booked on Sunday through Get Away Today. Staying at Howard Johnson for 6 nights and doing 5 days at Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!