Too Late?

JenJenJen

Earning My Ears
I am heading to Aulani through Make A Wish grant with the family. Due to not booking this ourselves, I don't know the itinerary. I don't know what days have plans in them, so:
  • I haven't booked any restaurants. Are these impossible to get on the fly?
  • I didn't book a luau. These available last minute...like when we get there?
  • Helicopter tour is on our bucket list. Any shot they are more affordable if I don't book till we get there?
  • Can we rent a car while at the resort for a day or 2?
Thanks in advance for any advice. We will be there in the end of June. Yikes!

Usually MAW plans many activities at your destination. If your child mentioned stuff that they like to do MAW will try to make it happen. If there is something you want to be sure is done I might let your wish granter's know that you are thinking about scheduling (example a luau) for the trip. That way if they already have something planned for that I think they would let you know. I think you will be surprised at how good the wish granters are at putting together these trips. I actually was a wish granter years ago and one of my wish children went to HI. I will try to find the schedule for the trip in the morning. That wish was done before Disney was in HI. I'd be confident that MAW will keep everyone busy on the trip. Ten days (give or take) before your trip the wish granters will come with bags and schedule of your trip. I hope you all have a magical trip filled with many memories.

Just in case MAW has not planned dining reservations, I know you can usually get walk up reservations at the Makahiki buffet and sometimes at Ama Ama. It will depend on the time of day and how busy the resort is.

Had a LOT of difficulty getting a Makahiki breakfast reservation but dinner was pretty easy. Ama Ama should be readily available in most cases.

Makahiki keeps a few spots available for walk ups (breakfast)...but they fill fast sometimes (weekends primarily)...you’d want to be down at makahiki about 20-30 minutes before it opens to check for the best chance.

There are currently 3 (I think) luaus in the ko’olina resort area alone, I’d imagine there are at least that many in waikiki, as well as at sea life park, polynesian cultural center, and other tourist spots. So unless you want a specific one...there should be at least one with available space during your stay (might have to call 2 or 3).

Helicopter tours...dunno if you necessarily want to go with a “cheap” one...while most companies do a good job with maintenance...if a company has noticably lower prices than everyone else...thats a bit of a red flag (of course limited time sales and such don’t count).

You should be able to rent a car at aulani, I remember seeing a car rental spot...but can’t remember which company.

I do also agree with what others have said...its highly likely that make a wish has booked other activities...probably not 100% filled for every day...but I’d doubt that there would be less than 2 or 3 things booked per day...so you’d definitely want to check before trying to book anything big.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I made a couple restaurant reservations (the ones I could get) and now received the itinerary from Make A Wish. As luck would have it, the reservations worked great with the activities they already planned. Looks like it's going to be one great vacation. 10 days till take off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!