Too many gift cards!

LaurenT

DIS Veteran
I ordered three sets of 3 $50
gift cards from BJs ... a total of $450 - saved 8% (paid $414).
When the package arrived, it contained 8 sets - a $1,250 value. Seven of them have accompanying activation confirmation paperwork.
I called to turn them in. Sat on hold for 25 minutes and then another 10 minutes waiting for her to figure out what to do. In the end, she said someone from another department would get back to me within 5 days.
That was 8 days ago.
At what point do you give up on trying to do the right thing?

I would try calling one more time, then put them away somewhere safe. Eventually someone will figure it out and come looking for them, at which point you will be responsible for returning them or they could try and charge your credit card - but it could be months or even years. Just because they are idiots and can't get their act together doesn't mean you get them for free unfortunately. While there are FTC rules that say unsolicited merchandise sent to your home is yours to keep, there are also guidelines that allows for companies to make honest mistakes and request you help them resolve them. And gift cards aren't really merchandise so I don't think that those rules even apply.

I have an insurance check that was incorrectly issued to me 2 years ago to repay my deductible after a wreck that they had already reimbursed for. After calling several times and getting nowhere with them on it, I just deposited the check. But I still fully expect them to come looking for it someday after some audit, and will just write them another check when they do. My attorney was on board with that plan. I kept a log of who I spoke with when about it, in case they try to accuse me of anything.

Last edited:
I would contact them again a time or two and let them know what happened. If no one can resolve the issue at that point then I'd say I've done my due diligence and wait for them to actually contact me. As far as using the cards... it would depend on if I felt it was reasonably likely that could cover the additional cost out of pocket if they attempt to recoup funds. If they do come back after the fact to request a return or payment, it should absolutely be done. If that means holding the cards to return, or planning on paying for them later... that bit is up to you.

I would try calling one more time, then put them away somewhere safe. Eventually someone will figure it out and come looking for them, at which point you will be responsible for returning them or they can charge your credit card - but it could be months or even years. Just because they are idiots and can't get their act together doesn't mean you get them for free unfortunately. While there are FTC rules that say unsolicited merchandise sent to your home is yours to keep, there are also guidelines that allows for companies to make honest mistakes and request you help them resolve them. And gift cards aren't really merchandise so I don't think that those rules even apply.

I have an insurance check that was incorrectly issued to me 2 years ago to repay my deductible after a wreck that they had already reimbursed for. After calling several times and getting nowhere with them on it, I just deposited the check. But I still fully expect them to come looking for it someday after some audit, and will just write them another check when they do. My attorney was on board with that plan. I kept a log of who I spoke with when about it, in case they try to accuse me of anything.
I’m not going to spend years safeguarding something that’s their fault. They also can’t just charge my card for something they sent me that I didn’t order, tgat would be illegal.
I may make one more call ... but I’m not going to spend another half an hour on hold trying to do their job for them. It’s their responsibility to fix this ... not mine.

^^ I agree, most of those entry level people you get on the phone either only know how to do really basic things or just don't care. They are great at transferring you to someone else and/or pushing the wrong buttons so you eventually get cut off. Not familiar with BJ's, but do they have actual stores near you where you can take the extra cards next time you are shopping and talk to a live person in customer service? Other choice would be to ship back the excess cards to the address that originally sent them to you. Or perhaps their website has an address where you can 'return' broken/damaged merchandise. Does the BJ website have a 'chat' feature? Those seem to work well and then you can screen print the conversation for future reference.

^^ I agree, most of those entry level people you get on the phone either only know how to do really basic things or just don't care. They are great at transferring you to someone else and/or pushing the wrong buttons so you eventually get cut off. Not familiar with BJ's, but do they have actual stores near you where you can take the extra cards next time you are shopping and talk to a live person in customer service? Other choice would be to ship back the excess cards to the address that originally sent them to you. Or perhaps their website has an address where you can 'return' broken/damaged merchandise. Does the BJ website have a 'chat' feature? Those seem to work well and then you can screen print the conversation for future reference.
She put me on hold several times to check with her manager. Then she told me the relevent department would contact me within 5 days.
I thought about mailing them back ... but that would be like mailing cash. Same thing with just handing it in to someone who isn’t in the same department that sold it to me (BJs is like Costco, and the physical stores are a different division from the online site)

View attachment 370561 I found this ... I’ve already done more than I legally have to - but if they get back to me in a reasonable timeframe, I will return the extra cards.

The problem with this is you didn't receive merchandise - you received gift cards. They are not the same.

While it sucks, and you don't have to bend over backwards to return them, you shouldn't use them either. Just put them away in case they come looking for them, along with a log of when you called them about it. And watch your credit cards for any extra charges.

I looked at the BJ website and they DO have a 'chat' feature. I would use it to document your issue and let them decide how to proceed. Am not a lawyer, so I can't say if a gift card is/isn't merchandise. However, common sense says that if someone overshipped something to you is different from receiving something you never ordered.

Good chance the additional gift cards were placed in the OP's package accidentally and were actually paid for by (and should have been sent to) the purchasers. How would you feel if cards you paid for never arrived but were used by somebody else? There's legal, and then there's ethical.

Anyway, contact information for BJs: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/bjs-wholesale-club/ and if you are anywhere near Westborough, consider visiting headquarters.

Good chance the additional gift cards were placed in the OP's package accidentally and were actually paid for by (and should have been sent to) the purchasers. How would you feel if cards you paid for never arrived but were used by somebody else? There's legal, and then there's ethical.

Anyway, contact information for BJs: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/bjs-wholesale-club/ and if you are anywhere near Westborough, consider visiting headquarters.
Yes, I have the contact number for them. If you read my post, I’ve already reported it to them... so please don’t accuse me of being unethical. How would I feel? They’d be replacing the order that never arrived or I’d be disputing the charge.
And if a customer was nice enough to tell me I sent them something by accident, I’d take care of it immediately and I’d thank them.

Last edited:
You did more than some people would do. Please don't take this the wrong way but

when I started to read this post
within a minute or two I thought hope you have

your fire
retardant kevlar vest on because = some folks are mean.

Hmm if I post this I better find my vest too . naw my skin is too tough .

and I'll just ignore them.

You did more than some people would do. Please don't take this the wrong way but

your fire

Laugh out loud - I’m a stand up comedian. I don’t bruise easily.

I am shocked that many people here are advocating for you to waste your time to correct their mistake. I would spend zero time trying to fix it and I would use all of the gift cards. Now if the merchant later came back and asked me to pay I would.

You know that if the shoe was on the other foot the merchant would make you jump though plenty of hoops to get your money back.

your fire

Agree 100%...OP, I’m one of those who will run back into the store if I see I didn’t get charged for something so I believe in doing the right thing. IMO, you have tried. One more phone call, maybe, if that, is all I’d do. This is not your wrong nor your responsibility. You have done what you should have done. The ball had been placed in their court.

I’m not going to spend years safeguarding something that’s their fault. They also can’t just charge my card for something they sent me that I didn’t order, tgat would be illegal.
I may make one more call ... but I’m not going to spend another half an hour on hold trying to do their job for them. It’s their responsibility to fix this ... not mine.

I'm not sure why putting them in a drawer somewhere is such an imposition. But if it is, destroy the cards and call it a day. At this point, I'm not even sure why you posted this whole thread. You asked "At what point do you give up on trying to do the right thing?" But you really don't seem to want to hear any answers. It seems like you just want to be told it's OK to go out and spend them. It's not.

I expect they will figure out the error at some point when the intended receivers call in, and will cancel the gift card balance.

I'm not sure why putting them in a drawer somewhere is such an imposition. But if it is, destroy the cards and call it a day. At this point, I'm not even sure why you posted this whole thread. You asked "At what point do you give up on trying to do the right thing?" But you really don't seem to want to hear any answers. It seems like you just want to be told it's OK to go out and spend them. It's not.

I expect they will figure out the error at some point when the intended receivers call in, and will cancel the gift card balance.
Yes, keeping track of them for years would be an imposition for me. Your home must be much better organized than mine.
Destroy them? The money has already been paid to Disney. That would be like throwing away extra cash that spit out of an ATM - I’d rather give it to charity.
If someone else was supposed to get cards and didn’t, I’m sure they will call
in and, one way or the other, BJs will replace them. But they’re not going to just randomly cancel cards that they mailed out to people.
And, yes ... I was asking at what point I stop trying to turn them in ... that was my question. I didn’t ask whether or not I should stop. At some point I will. Your answer is never ... got it. I didn’t ask if it was ok.

I've held onto GC's that were never supposed to lose any value only to learn a year later when I tried to use, that, in fact, they no longer had any money left on them. This has happened to me more than once. OP, I do not recommend that at all! You have done your part. If BJ's actually, somehow, puts the pieces together and comes after you for their mistake, be willing to pay up. Otherwise, enjoy! It was THEIR mistake!

If you have a BJs near you I’d take them in and leave them.
If you choose to keep them I’d donate them to Make-A-Wish or a reputable charity that could use.

I see your frustration with having them not understand that it was their error but since you questioned what to do morally I’d give to a charity rather than keep. But do what you think is best

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter