Top of the World??

Ok... so I want to make sure I understand...

If I own at GFV and am staying at GFV I can't use TotW?
What if I own at GFV but am staying at BLT? Still can't?

I 100% understand the logic of pool hopping. But this is a money maker for Disney, right? I would think it's about $100/couple that's up there drinking/eating?

Things sometimes come across harsher than I mean them to... I'm just trying to understand the rules! :)

Read post 18 again, the poster that you quoted is incorrect.

:earsboy: Bill

right now, you can. the general (historical) rule, though, is that you cannot.

if you are staying at BLT, whether you own at VGF or VB or whatever, you CAN use the lounge.

I 100% understand the logic of pool hopping. But this is a money maker for Disney, right? I would think it's about $100/couple that's up there drinking/eating?

most just come for the fireworks...not a big moneymaker so far, just a perk of staying there.

When BLT/TOW first opened the policy was strictly members staying at BLT. Since then, the policy was modified a bit but no one knows what the state of things will be after the end of 2013.

The current situation is as follows (cut from the Member site):

Disney Vacation Club Members staying at any Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort (whether they booked with vacation points or cash) may enjoy access to one of the vacation kingdom's most exclusive spaces: Top of the World Lounge atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort through December 29, 2014 (blockout dates apply. Including but not limited to 12/30/13, 12/31/13, 7/3/14, and 7/4/14). Current operating hours are 6 p.m. to midnight.

This perk is available exclusively to Members and those in their traveling party who are staying on that Member's reservation. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present his or her current Key to the World card displaying a Disney Vacation Club Membership notation in order to gain admission to the lounge and observation deck. If the Member's Key to the World card doesn't display a Membership notation, a Disney Vacation Club Member ID is required in addition to the Key to the World card to verify Membership.

Note that Members traveling from other Resorts must use Walt Disney World Transportation, as parking is unavailable to anyone not staying at Bay Lake Tower or Disney's Contemporary Resort. Upon arrival, Members must walk to the Bay Lake Tower main lobby entrance on the ground floor and check in at the Top of the World Lounge desk in the lobby.

This special Top of the World Lounge access is available on a first-come, first-served basis until the lounge reaches capacity. As the lounge is particularly popular during the Magic Kingdom fireworks, arriving as early as possible will give Members the best chance of gaining admission.

Per DVC website, DVC owners (regardless of home resort) staying in any Disney resort can go up to TOTWL. You must show KTTW card with DVC owner designation (may also accept DVC card...). This is valid through Dec. 27, 2013. This is per DVC Member website.

We were there in August, staying on points at SSR and found this worked as stated. The lounge itself was nice...similar to a big city hotel lounge. We purchased drinks at the bar (they also had a water dispenser and paper cups near entrance which the kids helped themselves to). There were a few empty tables, but we headed out to the balcony. The balcony was very plain and there were lots of bugs (around the lights which are low on the balcony walls). The view of MK straight out is great, but you look down over a huge parking lot : (. From this location, the fireworks look to be over Space Mountain with a few small ones near the castle. Not sure you would be able to see the show well from inside the lounge??

I'm glad we did it once, but I don't need to go back...I prefer being there or watching from the beach at Poly much better : )

Edit-posted just after above...they must have just extended date through 2014.

Ok... so I want to make sure I understand...

Things sometimes come across harsher than I mean them to... I'm just trying to understand the rules! :)

Until December 29th this year, they are allowing all DVC members staying on site for points or cash up to the Top of the World Lounge for fireworks or just for drinks. On site means any WDW resort. When BLT opened, the lounge was only for those staying at BLT for points, no matter where you owned. The lounge was not getting enough business, so they extended an invitation to all DVC members staying on site. This happened sometime in 2012 & they extended that policy through December 29 this year.

I've been to the lounge around 15 times this year. This past Monday it was more crowded than at any other time with the exception of the MC meet up there in January. I hope they continue to allow members staying elsewhere to use it.

Bobbi:goodvibes

PS...so dates are extended through 2014, Great!

When BLT/TOW first opened the policy was strictly members staying at BLT. Since then, the policy was modified a bit but no one knows what the state of things will be after the end of 2013.

Disney Vacation Club Members staying at any Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort (whether they booked with vacation points or cash) may enjoy access to one of the vacation kingdom's most exclusive spaces: Top of the World Lounge atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort through December 29, 2014 (blockout dates apply. Including but not limited to 12/30/13, 12/31/13, 7/3/14, and 7/4/14). Current operating hours are 6 p.m. to midnight.

This perk is available exclusively to Members and those in their traveling party who are staying on that Member's reservation. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present his or her current Key to the World card displaying a Disney Vacation Club Membership notation in order to gain admission to the lounge and observation deck. If the Member's Key to the World card doesn't display a Membership notation, a Disney Vacation Club Member ID is required in addition to the Key to the World card to verify Membership.

Note that Members traveling from other Resorts must use Walt Disney World Transportation, as parking is unavailable to anyone not staying at Bay Lake Tower or Disney's Contemporary Resort. Upon arrival, Members must walk to the Bay Lake Tower main lobby entrance on the ground floor and check in at the Top of the World Lounge desk in the lobby.

This special Top of the World Lounge access is available on a first-come, first-served basis until the lounge reaches capacity. As the lounge is particularly popular during the Magic Kingdom fireworks, arriving as early as possible will give Members the best chance of gaining admission.

This specifically says until almost 2015 - was it a typo? The blockout dates are in 2014, so it looks like DVC members are good through most of 2014?

This specifically says until almost 2015 - was it a typo? The blockout dates are in 2014, so it looks like DVC members are good through most of 2014?

Appears as if access to the TOTWL for DVC Members not staying at BLT has been extended to 12/29/2014.

The quote was cut & pasted directly from the website. As with anything from TWDCo, all perks are subject to change as the wind blows so your mileage may vary but at present it does appear that the policy has been extended through 2014.

I have never been asked to show my membership card., they have only looked at my room key.

They refused us entry and we had to go get my DW's card from our room so it depends on who is working.

:earsboy: Bill

I should have looked here first! I couldn't find any info on the member site - do you remember where this is? We want to go up during our April trip and I just chatted w/Member Services and was told you can't do it unless you're staying at BLT and it's been that way for "at least several months" - which I know isn't true b/c we did it in October when we were staying on points at SSR.

I should have looked here first! I couldn't find any info on the member site - do you remember where this is? We want to go up during our April trip and I just chatted w/Member Services and was told you can't do it unless you're staying at BLT and it's been that way for "at least several months" - which I know isn't true b/c we did it in October when we were staying on points at SSR.

Go to the Member Site and log in. Click on Destinations and then Bay Lake Tower. There will be a link to the Top of the World Lounge. Click "read more" and you have the info you are looking for.

Top of the World Lounge

Top of the World Lounge is located at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Go to the Member Site and log in. Click on Destinations and then Bay Lake Tower. There will be a link to the Top of the World Lounge. Click "read more" and you have the info you are looking for.

Thank you for copying and pasting the info. We are BLT owners but are staying at VWL on our next trip. I was a little confused reading this thread with all the back and forth conversation on whether or not non BLT guests who are DVC members could or could not use the lounge. Since we are only a boat ride away from BLT, I was thinking that maybe we could go enjoy a drink and a fireworks show one night during our trip....thank you for clearing the air for me :goodvibes.

DH & I went up in January and think the lounge was well attended! We noted personal sized pizzas, plain and pepperoni were on the menu. We had just had a delicious dinner at The Wave, but will keep that in mind if we have our main meal at lunch.

I've booked BLT for part of our NYE stay. Can't wait to see the MK's December 30th fireworks from TTOTW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter