Top tips for first timer

bsjs0708

DIS Veteran
DH and I are going to DLP as part of our second honymoon. What would you say are the top 3 things we need to know...Thanks guys..Julie

the most important and top piece of advice IMO is to understand the Disneyland Paris is Frenchified Disney. It is an American style themepark with the cultural and social aspects and behaviour of France and Central Europe. It is NOT Magic Kingdom from Walt Disney World scooped up, made smaller and transported to France. Many of those who go to Disneyland Paris having being to Walt Disney World in Florida or Disneyland California get disappointed and come away with negative view of Disneyland Paris, as they expect everything to be the same.

In Disneyland Paris you wont see guests Disneybounding and Europeans dont wear Disney merchandise like hoodies or tshirts, or wear lanyards of pins.

In Disneyland Paris the onsite hotels are just that, hotels, not resorts and are smaller and have less amenities

Disneyland Paris has a lower standard of maintenance and up keep and guests smoke every where

Disneyland Paris CM's are not the happy smiley have a nice day over the top Disney customer service that is expected in Disneyland or Walt Disney World.

Very well said and everything is true but reading this sounds hard. :goodvibes
If you have all that in mind you will find a great place which is different but still has the Disney magic. :smickey:

Try to look at the differences and find out what Disneyland Paris makes it unique.

The castle...the dragon under the castle.

The small things like the Nautilus walk-through which is so great themed or the Liberty/Discovery Arcades.

Do not compare DLP with US Disney and you will feel the magic everywhere.

:disrocks:

While I agree with most of the above I saw people there disneybounding last week, plenty of people of all ages wearing ears and t-shirts with Disney stuff on them. I didn't think the smoking was as bad as it's made out to be, but maybe we were lucky since it was a slower time.

We didn't compare the park, only some of the rides with them being the same or better than those at WDW. It's a much smaller park and easily walkable. We had a great time and I'd go back to DLP in a heartbeat but I'm also looking forward to my trip to WDW in November.

It's helpful to know at least a little French, especially to ask if they speak English. We didn't have any cast members that didn't speak English, it was more outside the parks that it was needed.

Have fun on your trip!

Not the OP, but I just want to thank everyone for their tips. :)

We're going for the first time this summer and I am getting as much info as I can.

Although I think, I'm going to have an issue with the smoking part no matter how prepared I am.

It's very doable to stay in Paris and ride the train to and from DLP.

Get there at least 40 minutes prior to listed opening time.

If you can afford it, try to stay on property so you can take advantage of morning EMH. The parks get really crowded, so that extra time in the AM should allow you to get in quite a few rides.

The fastpass system is the old paper fastpass system, so if you aren't familiar with it, get familiar with it. One thing I wasn't sure about was whether you can have FPs in both parks simultaneously -- the answer is YES! So if you're going to park hop, don't be afraid to grab a BTMR FP on the way out. The FP return window is only 30 minutes, so that makes it a little more difficult to plan your day.

Do not waste your time on the Toy Story parachute army guy ride. It is an extremely slow loading ride, and even if the line looks short -- it still takes forever -- and the payoff isn't that great. the ride looks like a lot of fun -- but it's really just a kiddie ride. The slinky dog ride is also not worth waiting more than 15 minutes for.

If you want to ride the crush coaster, you pretty much have to rope drop it.

Single rider line at Ratatouille works pretty well.

A lot of the rides are in French -- so it does make it hard to follow along with what's going on storywise. It was definitely weird to hear french pirates and french Tower of terror.

The park is much more similar in layout to Disneyland as compared to Magic Kingdom.

Park hopping is pretty easy as the parks are pretty close together -- not as close as DL and DCA in Anaheim -- but still pretty close.

DLP is absolutely gorgeous theming wise. They did a phenomenal job.

I couldn't connect to any WiFi while I was in the park -- so plan accordingly.

I actually thought that pretty much all of the cloned rides were better at DLP -- IASW felt fresher/more vibrant. Tower of Terror is a clone of the California version.

Smokers, smokers everywhere. I literally have a picture of a guy smoking next to the do not smoke sign, while a CM was sweeping up cigarette butts.

People will cut in line without any shame. The queues are quite wide, so it provides plenty of options for people to just kind of meander their way past people.

I can't recommend any good food options -- we ate at the tomorowland QS and Earl of Sandwich. The QS place was pretty bad and EoS was merely OK.

If the park closes at 9:00 pm -- you can expect them to start closing down rides 30 minutes before. When they close the park -- they actually want you out of the park. It's nothing like at the US locations. i think the fantasyland closed an hour prior to the fireworks show when I was there in March.

Thanks for the input! My expectations are pretty reasonable. .Nothing can compare to my favorite Disneyland in Cali, but I'm prepared to accept DLP for what it is and just enjoy being there. We are staying at the Newport Bay onsite..my one and only concern now is food,DH and I are foodies,AND I found out the Ratatouille ride will be down for refurb..

I think for people who are used to the American parks need to prepare their expectations. Currently I see 2 trip reports which might be helpful how Disneyland Paris can be perceived.

Positive
https://www.disboards.com/threads/n...n-the-snow-new-6-5-snowy-fantasyland.3666985/
Negative
https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-toffs-do-disneyland-paris-last-minute.3684017/

If you are a foodie, I think Walt's and Remy's are your best options, plus some of the hotel restaurants. (Yes, avoid the Hyperion, QS in Tomorrowland, this is pretty bad. For QS I prefer Hakuna Matata or Toad Hall), also have good memories of Agrabah Cafe, but it has been a while since I've been there. I have heard good things about the seafood buffet in Newport Bay, but not experienced it myself.

Indeed, Disneyland Paris doesn't have Wi-Fi, there have been experiments and it has been a topic in surveys, but if you want to use the app to check waiting times, be preapred.

When are you going? I see above the advice to be there 40 minutes prior to opening time. It depends on when you are there, if it's low season, I do not see the need for this. As you have access to the park before opening (which I assume you will use :) ), I wouldn't bother to get there that early.

My top 3 tips are to focus on rides, shows, parades etc. which are not in your homepark, even when a ride is a clone, there are usually differences to spot.

Oh, that's a coincidence, I will be leaving that day, just booked my plane ticket :) You should be fine with the crowds during the week. Could be a little bit of crowds on Monday as it's marathon weekend before you arrive.

It's not mentioned in this list, but also a difference people from the American parks seem to notice is the photopass. Photopass is relatively new for DLP.. It's only available for a year or so. And now it's mainly rides (among them Pirates, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Tower of Terror, Rock 'n Roller Coaster) and fixed characters (not roaming). On very rare occasions you might see them in Main Street, but not very often. I think this is also a cultural thing, I don't think it will ever be popular.

If you are planning to wake up early and use the EMH, if you make sure you are at the front of the line when getting in, it's relatively easy to make pictures in front of the castle with low crowds.

With enjoying the little things to enjoy, I don't see the Aladdin walkthrough mentioned, it's not extremely special, but a nice way to use space. One of my personal favorites is also Les Pays des Contes Fees, the Storybook Boat Ride, in the back of the park. It doesn't have a CM telling jokes, but that's what I like, it's very nice and quiet and relaxing. It's my go to to get away from the crowds.

I always enjoy walking around the castle via the short cut at the back of castle stage. You have the wishing well, and most people go via the castle bridge to get to Fantasyland, this route is more quiet.

If you are into shows, don't miss Mickey and the Magician in the Studios. :)

1. Things close early, or sometimes never open up at all, so be flexible and go on rides/eat at places/shop in stores when you see that they're open. If you wait, you may have missed your chance.
2. Don't plan on buying a lot of merch as it isn't available in the quantity/variety as the US parks.
3. Read up on the rides a head of time. Some are VERY different from what you may be used to. (For example, the Indiana Jones ride and Space Mountain go upside down). Also read an online explanation of the Phantom Manor storyline before going on the ride; it's ridiculous. lol
4. Eat at Remy's.
5. Enjoy the walk-through things, like Alice's Curious Labyrinth and the Dragon Cave, and the shows, like Animagique (if they're open).

5. Enjoy the walk-through things, like Alice's Curious Labyrinth and the Dragon Cave, and the shows, like Animagique (if they're open).

Animagique closed in January 2016, it was replaced by Mickey and the Magician.

Cinemagique closed in 2017 and currently replaced by the Marvel shows for the summer season. I don't believe it is already announced what they will do with this theater after the summer.

You could try out the restaurants in Disneyland hotel if you like food? California Grill is so lovely such a great atmosphere and fab food, we hadnt been to disney for a few years so we saved up and did the sparkling experience package with fireworks it was worth every penny! We tend to enjoy the food and atmosphere and people watching more than racing around to get on rides and always find DLP magical :) we also enjoy captain jacks especially sitting close to the ride so we can watch the boats. The arcades on main street are worth a look at and the paths around adventureland are great fun too, the castle is beautiful to explore but can get busy especially mid day-afternoon!

Is it reasonable to do both parks in 2 - 2 1/2 days? We plan on staying there for 3 nights so depending on flight times may get the 1/2 day on arrival.

Is it reasonable to do both parks in 2 - 2 1/2 days?

Yes. Depending upon ride closures, possibly even less.

Hollywood Studios can easily be a half-day visit, especially with EMH entry.

1.5 days for Disneyland should be plenty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!