Torn between economics and convenience

1. So, we agreed it’s quicker to all parks except MK. Also don’t forget Blizzard Beach round the corner too.

2.I was referring to it being adjacent to a moderate resort, plus I travel in August the skyliner will be closed for storms every afternoon.

3. Regarding the value rooms, Ok, so this was a real life extreme example but a studio at RIV will still be 30% more points.

The positives for RIV for me are the artwork, rooms and Topolinos are all excellent

And isn’t it great that DVC has options! People know that for me, AKV is my least favorite and no matter the savings, won’t stay there.

I haven’t tried OKW, but again, can’t pull the trigger to save points. I spend more to be at the ones that make sense and yes, RIV And VGF will cost me for sure but worth every bit of the extra!

I don't begrudge anyone for making any resort choice they would like. I have had some life circumstances come up that is postponing my planned DVC purchase until early next year, but I am planning a split purchase of SSR and BCV - the best and worst "deals" for points of all the WDW resorts. I think it's important to separate people purchasing specifically to have Sleep Around Points from people purchasing to own a specific resort (we're doing both).

If you want to always stay in a studio at Grand Floridian or Copper Creek or Riviera or Beach Club the data seems to say you should buy the resort you want to stay at, even though it's not as cheap as Saratoga Springs.

If you want to try all the different resorts and are willing to take whatever at 7 months and have lots of flexibility in dates and want to sometimes use points at Aulani and Hilton Head, you'd be wasting money to buy anywhere but Saratoga Springs.

If you're somewhere in between, that's when "buy where you wouldn't mind staying" comes in. And I think most people are somewhere in between.

I am not begrudging anyone's choices because we all have things that "float our boat" and each resort provides that for the individual.

What I don't agree with is buying less than what would make you happy. Many of the responses to people who want to buy is to push them to the cheaper alternative not the one that would fit them best.

My vacations are that "a vacation" and I choose to live like a king every chance possible because I believe a vacation is to provide that experience your mileage will vary.

I am not begrudging anyone's choices because we all have things that "float our boat" and each resort provides that for the individual.

What I don't agree with is buying less than what would make you happy. Many of the responses to people who want to buy is to push them to the cheaper alternative not the one that would fit them best.

My vacations are that "a vacation" and I choose to live like a king every chance possible because I believe a vacation is to provide that experience your mileage will vary.
I think we are agreeing back and forth.

The positives for RIV for me are the artwork, rooms and Topolinos are all excellent

Why are you so infatuated with RIV? Large list of other resorts out there.

So, we agreed it’s quicker to all parks except MK. Also don’t forget Blizzard Beach round the corner too.

Which is fine but again when it comes to location being next to MK is a bigger plus for location than being 5 mins less on a bus to Blizzard Beach. It's about bus avoidance and direct access to the parks.

All busses are still a bus and it's not the ride it's the waiting that is the kicker. Hence why people will pay so much money cash to stay at Cont, YC, POLY.

You put AKL attached to MK or between Epcot/HS and it's likely the most expensive stay on site or at least neck and neck with GF.

I notice though people want to downplay the difference in location. Which is fine like I said when rating a resort overall but when only comparing location its strange.

By the way if you are okay with AKVs location then it's an absolute great resort.

2.I was referring to it being adjacent to a moderate resort, plus I travel in August the skyliner will be closed for storms every afternoon.

Except comparing to any resort it lines up best against AKV when the Skyliner goes down. That is because it's all bussing and is more central than AKV.

Who knows why happens long term to in 10 years they might not shutdown the Skyliner for lightning if they do is a crazy quick bus ride probably same distance as AKV to AK between RIV and HS.

Why are you so infatuated with RIV? Large list of other resorts out there.

Come on Seth

I can ride the skyliner to HS take a relaxing boat from there to BW or Epcot catch a Monorail from there to MK and take a direct bus back to RIV lots of options. Don't forget how close of a car ride to Downtown Disney AKA Disney Springs( I prefer the old name Downtown Disney ) from RIV as well. Transportation location isn't bad compared to some others.

Come on Seth

I can ride the skyliner to HS take a relaxing boat from there to BW or Epcot catch a Monorail from there to MK and take a direct bus back to RIV lots of options. Don't forget how close of a car ride to Downtown Disney AKA Disney Springs( I prefer the old name Downtown Disney ) from RIV as well. Transportation location isn't bad compared to some others.

I was trying to avoid a battle of RIV because honestly this was more about AKV.

Personally if they remove the Disney requirement (not government or manufacturer requirement from my understanding) of skyliner stoppage it would be in line with Poly/VGF for location.

Now I would prefer RIV because I like Epcot/HS more but that is a personal.

I will also saying coming from HS is a snap if the Skyliner is closed because the busses are right there. From Epcot you have to walk over to the BWV bus stop. If it were raining bad I would likely just jump on the boat to HS and catch the bus there back to RIV (if the boats were running).

I was trying to avoid a battle of RIV because honestly this was more about AKV.

Personally if they remove the Disney requirement (not government or manufacturer requirement from my understanding) of skyliner stoppage it would be in line with Poly/VGF for location.

Now I would prefer RIV because I like Epcot/HS more but that is a personal.

I will also saying coming from HS is a snap if the Skyliner is closed because the busses are right there. From Epcot you have to walk over to the BWV bus stop. If it were raining bad I would likely just jump on the boat to HS and catch the bus there back to RIV (if the boats were running).

My plan when staying at RIV if the Skyliner goes doen is to simply call an Uber! Worth the $10

Proximity to parks is certainly a perk, but we almost always have a car and don't mind the short drive to any of the parks. Even when we use the buses, I can only remember one time being frustrated by the long wait for a bus to come along.

For some, riding on the bus is probably just a mundane mode of transportation, but we actually enjoy any mode of Disney transportation... seeing the familiar landmarks, listening to the music, and building anticipation.

That all being said, we've also stayed in closer resorts and enjoyed being able to walk to a park.

In fact, on our previous trip to Universal, we stayed at the Royal Pacific and took the walking path to and from the parks each day. That was a nice walk and very convenient. So I can definitely appreciate the value people put on proximity to parks in terms of resort location.

...Except its location is superior to AKV. Its a 6 min ride to Epcot, 15 mins to HS on the skyliner which gets you to two parks. On top of that stand alone busing to MK without multiple stops at the same resort.
I would have less issue if the buses came more often and were on time. ....
As long as it isn't the rainy season in Florida. Then lightning shuts down the Skyliner and you have to take a bus.

As long as it isn't the rainy season in Florida. Then lightning shuts down the Skyliner and you have to take a bus.

Correct for different times during the day. Those bus routes will also be some of the shortest at WDW as well.

I would add from my understanding that the shut downs are put in place by Disney they are not required for safety purposes. Someone correct me if I am wrong though. So long term who knows what happens since the Skyliner Stations are covered locations.

Time will tell how long and how often the skyliner gets shutdown be interested to see if someone starts tracking the data.

Data on bus distance:
HS -> RIV is 1.1 miles
BW -> RIV is 1.2 miles
AKV -> AK is 1.2 miles (with additional stop at AKL which adds about 0.1 miles to the trip and additional time)

For my plan in the future it will be just take a look at the radar/twitter (maybe status is posted somewhere) and plan on leaving or staying to avoid the shutdowns. Have to see as it comes closer we stay at BWV in March so our first stay at RIV won't be until Jan '22 which we should have way more data by then.

I would add from my understanding that the shut downs are put in place by Disney they are not required for safety purposes. Someone correct me if I am wrong though. So long term who knows what happens since the Skyliner Stations are covered locations.

Time will tell how long and how often the skyliner gets shutdown be interested to see if someone starts tracking the data.
If lighting knocks out the power, which I have seen in person happen to the monorail, then everyone on the skyliner will get stuck in their cabins. How long it takes to get the skyliner up and running after it takes a lighting strike could be quite a bit of time. I know the monorail was knocked out for a few hours and they had to push the monorails into the stations to get people off.

The sleeper chair used at BLT and AKV won’t fit...at least that is what they said was the reason why they never went in to BWV, BCV, and BRV when they added them to OKW.

But, maybe in some way the remodel at BRV will allow the sleep 5!

Did DVC actually say that or isn't it just the speculation on the boards. I do not recall ever seeing any announcements from DVC about the bed changes to the older resorts other than they added the murphy beds in studios due to "member requests". Could be it was stated at an annual meeting or by an executive though and I just didn't see that.

If lighting knocks out the power, which I have seen in person happen to the monorail, then everyone on the skyliner will get stuck in their cabins. How long it takes to get the skyliner up and running after it takes a lighting strike could be quite a bit of time. I know the monorail was knocked out for a few hours and they had to push the monorails into the stations to get people off.

Monorail is also from the 1970s and Doppelmayr has experiences from all around the world.

My wife is exhausted from the conversation so I'm hoping some of you could help me (us). After years of my best friend suggesting DVC to me (resale) I finally decides I was in a good place in my life where I could buy in...Unfortunately that was just after they announced the new resort restrictions and direct pricing just scared us off.

When I saw the promotions that were available I convince my wife to give it another try and now we're torn between the economic choice of SSR or the convenience of CCV. Like many of you we created a very elaborate spreadsheet which has helped us to a certain degree but has also eventually added to our confusion. :)

Given that we have two young children is it worth paying the premium in order to get the 11-month booking window, or should we go with SSR and risk it since we would likely need the larger room anyway?

I'm wondering what about DVC led your friend to continually suggest it to you?

Also when considering a home resort like CCV - will you book at 11 months? That is a resort that needs you to do that for many dates of the year.
Will you purchase AP's most years to make the added cost of direct worthwhile? If not then since SSR is on the table resale still might be a good choice.
Also, I'm not certain if you are aware but there's been many new announced resorts over the years that have never been built by DVC. Reflections is the most recent. And resorts that have been reduced in size from the original concept which has changed what they otherwise would have been. I'd hesitate to purchase with the thought that having the ability to stay in the newest resorts is really a benefit. As was mentioned there are other ways that can be achieved without owning points that you can use at them.

Correct for different times during the day. Those bus routes will also be some of the shortest at WDW as well.

Data on bus distance:
HS -> RIV is 1.1 miles
BW -> RIV is 1.2 miles
AKV -> AK is 1.2 miles (with additional stop at AKL which adds about 0.1 miles to the trip and additional time)

For my plan in the future it will be just take a look at the radar/twitter (maybe status is posted somewhere) and plan on leaving or staying to avoid the shutdowns. Have to see as it comes closer we stay at BWV in March so our first stay at RIV won't be until Jan '22 which we should have way more data by then.

I believe the bus routes include all the Skyliner resorts though when it's shut down? Do they always go to Riv first?

I believe the bus routes include all the Skyliner resorts though when it's shut down? Do they always go to Riv first?

I believe RIV is the first stop on the bus line. I also don't see much on social media about it so it can't be that bad as I have to suspect if it was you would see at least something.

I believe RIV is the first stop on the bus line. I also don't see much on social media about it so it can't be that bad as I have to suspect if it was you would see at least something.

I've seen a few things. It isn't always a great experience when the Skyway shuts down

Did DVC actually say that or isn't it just the speculation on the boards. I do not recall ever seeing any announcements from DVC about the bed changes to the older resorts other than they added the murphy beds in studios due to "member requests". Could be it was stated at an annual meeting or by an executive though and I just didn't see that.
No, the sleeper chair won't fit, especially in the BWV and BRV one bedrooms because of the door to the connecting studio where the chair would need to go. They have have a chair in that location, but it's not as wide, nor nearly as heavy.
BRV living room:
DSC03458.JPG

The sleeper chair at OKW
DSC03633.JPG

My wife is exhausted from the conversation so I'm hoping some of you could help me (us). After years of my best friend suggesting DVC to me (resale) I finally decides I was in a good place in my life where I could buy in...Unfortunately that was just after they announced the new resort restrictions and direct pricing just scared us off.

When I saw the promotions that were available I convince my wife to give it another try and now we're torn between the economic choice of SSR or the convenience of CCV. Like many of you we created a very elaborate spreadsheet which has helped us to a certain degree but has also eventually added to our confusion. :)

Given that we have two young children is it worth paying the premium in order to get the 11-month booking window, or should we go with SSR and risk it since we would likely need the larger room anyway?

Lets see, I love Disney BTW because I own to own not for the money but strictly for the relief it provides my psyche ..fact!

Wife - Shes your other half if shes not happy with it you will never be happy with it

Best Friend - don't buy in because your friend wants you too buy in because you want too

Restrictions - pleassssee if you knew how many here swore up and down they're not buying RIV because of restrictions and then turned around and bought anyways you'd thought they were trying to discourage Disney in hopes they would lower the buy in price.

Young Children - You will want longevity, my children now adults and like most here who have had theirs grown up in Disney they will always be at Disney and bring their children too.

Economics- Bad idea, bad strategy, bad everything .. never pay money for something you will always regard as the "CHEAP alternative .. whats that?? you won't?? bet your wrong dead wrong. Buy what will make you and your family happy never skimp on happiness never you can skimp on lots of things vacations are rare and usually breathe fire back into your soul!!

CCV - I am going to try not to laugh :rotfl2: I have stayed at CCV and convenience it does not provide.. the outdoor bar is great (top notch) but accessibility is not.

Spreadsheets - I understand many people live in a world of checks and balances where criteria is everything including which foot is placed on the floor first every morning sadly I am not. I regard vacations, which Disney is for me and my family, a breath of fresh air, a rejuvenating utopia of wonder that provides me with a reason to live again and go into the world to conquer it again type of scenario. So in cliff notes I need to blow off steam and have lots of fun try it you will love it!!!!!! Your wife may even like you better after it too!

Rooms - As your children grow you will need larger rooms given DVC is meant to be an experience over a long period of time

There isn't much more than I can provide for you other than the common mantra so endearing mentioned in every post by every member on the forum "Buy where you want to stay".

My personal message is don't let the cost drive your decision, don't let this board drive your decision, and don't let your friends drive your decision. Buy where you and your family will have many moments and memories of happiness and stories to share with others because vacations don't involve economics or spreadsheets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter