Torn between economics and convenience

Restrictions - pleassssee if you knew how many here swore up and down they're not buying RIV because of restrictions and then turned around and bought anyways you'd thought they were trying to discourage Disney in hopes they would lower the buy in price.
🤣 🤣 🤣

Did DVC actually say that or isn't it just the speculation on the boards. I do not recall ever seeing any announcements from DVC about the bed changes to the older resorts other than they added the murphy beds in studios due to "member requests". Could be it was stated at an annual meeting or by an executive though and I just didn't see that.

That is what I was told by someone in DVC years ago when I asked out of curiosity. They told me there wasn’t room to make them fit.

So, I don’t know if it was ever put out officially or not. I think I assumed it was since others were Saying the same thing at the time.

Restrictions - pleassssee if you knew how many here swore up and down they're not buying RIV because of restrictions and then turned around and bought anyways you'd thought they were trying to discourage Disney in hopes they would lower the buy in price.

Ha ha ha! I wasn’t turned off by the resale restrictions so much as the point chart and dues. But my mind was because of your first point:

Wife - Shes your other half if shes not happy with it you will never be happy with it

Except in my case, my DH. He really liked Riviera when he saw the sales presentation and looked at the videos and pictures. I was saying no because of points and dues, but he kept bringing it up, especially as we don’t have an Epcot Resort (and we were divided between BWV which he likes best and BCV which I like best, but neither of us were a fan of the 2042 end date).

And then the hope you mentioned happened:

...you'd thought they were trying to discourage Disney in hopes they would lower the buy in price.

And then the soon-to-be-expired incentives came out!

We bought two Fixed Weeks at CCV (we consider WL our true Disney home / first Disney love) as the incentives dropped the price to $185. And then he mentioned RIV again and we realized that if we combined a RIV purchase with our CCV purchase, we’d save another $1180 off CCV on top of the $155/point price on RIV, which would bring a 100-point purchase (split into 2 contracts) to effectively $143.20 per point. And that was a direct price point my frugality couldn’t ignore. We ultimately decided to add more points, but we still effectively got RIV at $148.44/point AND got 2019 points, so it was a really good buy, the small contracts should retain good resale value If we end up needing to sell, and while expensive dues wise, I feel that the gap of dues will decrease over the next 3 years, and that these won’t be bad SAP points, especially as they can be used at RIV, DL Tower and Future Resorts.

No, the sleeper chair won't fit, especially in the BWV and BRV one bedrooms because of the door to the connecting studio where the chair would need to go. They have have a chair in that location, but it's not as wide, nor nearly as heavy.
BRV living room:
View attachment 526145

The sleeper chair at OKW
View attachment 526146

Agree that sleeper chair won't fit. There's so many things out there that give a bed that at least works for kids or small adults though. I don't think there was ever an announcement from DVC though specific to this - just that we all ought to jump for joy for having the studio occupancy increased to 5. I guess I should be happy as it's led to us booking more studios than we used to when we have family trips because there are more beds in the studios so it works better.

Agree that sleeper chair won't fit. There's so many things out there that give a bed that at least works for kids or small adults though. I don't think there was ever an announcement from DVC though specific to this - just that we all ought to jump for joy for having the studio occupancy increased to 5. I guess I should be happy as it's led to us booking more studios than we used to when we have family trips because there are more beds in the studios so it works better.
I feel like Disney should be able to creatively solve the problem of how to get a 3rd bed in the 1BR. If they say it can sleep 5, it should be able to actually sleep 5! :-)

Just thought I would follow-up, since my original posts in this thread... When I first posted I had already decided that I was going to buy direct. Since I didn't have the luck to have purchased resale before the Jan 2019 restrictions, and the thought that the resale points would not be able to be used at the newer resorts kind of made the decision clear. So we go ourselves on a wait list for 250 SSR points, and in the meantime put the deposit down for the same number of points on CCV. What I wasn't counting on was the continued unease that we were simply going with SSR because it was the economic choice and not "home resort" we "wanted". Honestly, the whole "you should buy were you would like to stay" or its derivatives didn't really help me/us make up our minds, it really did just seem like lip service.

I don't begrudge anyone for making any resort choice they would like. I have had some life circumstances come up that is postponing my planned DVC purchase until early next year, but I am planning a split purchase of SSR and BCV - the best and worst "deals" for points of all the WDW resorts. I think it's important to separate people purchasing specifically to have Sleep Around Points from people purchasing to own a specific resort (we're doing both).

If you want to always stay in a studio at Grand Floridian or Copper Creek or Riviera or Beach Club the data seems to say you should buy the resort you want to stay at, even though it's not as cheap as Saratoga Springs.

If you want to try all the different resorts and are willing to take whatever at 7 months and have lots of flexibility in dates and want to sometimes use points at Aulani and Hilton Head, you'd be wasting money to buy anywhere but Saratoga Springs.

If you're somewhere in between, that's when "buy where you wouldn't mind staying" comes in. And I think most people are somewhere in between.

Anyway, then CastAStone posts ^, I share the post with my wife (without sharing my opinion on it), she reads it, and we both agree we want CCV 😅. Not only that, but we both decide that we want to bump up to 300 points to take advantage of the additional incentive 😱. We're still planning on waiting until tomorrow, the 17th, to see if anything new came out -- incentive-wise -- but if not, we in for 300 at CCV tomorrow.

Thank you all for the awesome feedback (though I'm really not sure how some of you respond so much, LOL)!

Just thought I would follow-up, since my original posts in this thread... When I first posted I had already decided that I was going to buy direct. Since I didn't have the luck to have purchased resale before the Jan 2019 restrictions, and the thought that the resale points would not be able to be used at the newer resorts kind of made the decision clear. So we go ourselves on a wait list for 250 SSR points, and in the meantime put the deposit down for the same number of points on CCV. What I wasn't counting on was the continued unease that we were simply going with SSR because it was the economic choice and not "home resort" we "wanted". Honestly, the whole "you should buy were you would like to stay" or its derivatives didn't really help me/us make up our minds, it really did just seem like lip service.

Anyway, then CastAStone posts ^, I share the post with my wife (without sharing my opinion on it), she reads it, and we both agree we want CCV 😅. Not only that, but we both decide that we want to bump up to 300 points to take advantage of the additional incentive 😱. We're still planning on waiting until tomorrow, the 17th, to see if anything new came out -- incentive-wise -- but if not, we in for 300 at CCV tomorrow.

Thank you all for the awesome feedback (though I'm really not sure how some of you respond so much, LOL)!
Congrats and welcome home! CCV is beautiful and you definitely made the right choice for you! We bought 2 FWs at CCV just for that reason; we love the resort and wanted to guarantee we'd get Thanksgiving + early Christmas season in a studio without hassle.

Congrats!!! We did buy where we wanted to stay, although BWV never seems to come out ahead on the economy charts. However, we've also had no issues getting rooms at other resorts at 7 months, NOT standard studios, we look for 1 bedrooms, and will take non standard views, but when all is said and done, no big issues at least at the times of year we travel. We also LOVE our home resort, so happy we bought there, and if we only stay there, that's cool too. (but I love AKL, BLT....) We had our first CCV stay booked for June...cancelled. NOt sure when we'll get to try it again, hopefully sooner than later. Again, congrats!

I feel like Disney should be able to creatively solve the problem of how to get a 3rd bed in the 1BR. If they say it can sleep 5, it should be able to actually sleep 5! :-)
If the fifth person curls up in the tub, in the closet, on the edge of the floor next to the king bed, in the kitchen, ....

If the fifth person curls up in the tub, in the closet, on the edge of the floor next to the king bed, in the kitchen, ....
With the size of some of the bathrooms these days, you COULD sleep a fifth person in them. ;-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!