Toronto summer heat/humidity vs MCO

Spotthecat

Mouseketeer
Anyone who lives in the GTA knows that our summers are BRUTAL, really hot and humid. Like humidex in the high 30's.

Just how does this compare with Orlando in August? I need some comparisons.

I've done Wonderland in July/August, been soaked in sweat when it was 35C and humid, but we managed.

Is Orlando just a whole level up from that? I need some GTA people to chime in!

It’s more close feeling. Cool towels and water all the time helps. Your not out in it all the time. The AC helps a lot. So much more has AC than wonderland

It's a different level. I did it once and will never do it again. I remember leaving the hotel room at 8am and instantly feeling disgusting. I love heat and Toronto humidity has never bothered me much. Florida is a different beast!

Nope, not even close ... it's brutal, feels like walking into a sauna. Nothing ever feels dry! True there is AC but there is also a lot of pavement and little shade in any of the parks other than AK so you can't escape it. It's also busier than Wonderland so, more "ripe" (if you get my drift!) I grew up in this area and I'm used to our humidity but add that on top of temps that average in the mid-high 30's and, yucky. You will also be dealing with daily heavy thunderstorms once the air can't hold any more moisture, you can almost set your watch. Just found a chart that says the average humidity level in August is 80 (94 in the mornings) and that would mean that the 35 degree day would feel like an oven!

I guess I’m in the minority, because I find them very similar. I will run in the mornings in Toronto midsummer, and I will run at WDW in August (in the early morning as well- I’m not crazy!). What I do find to be very different is the strength of the sun. Down in Florida, the sun is sharp and searing. I can’t handle it for more than a few minutes. A hat, sunglasses, and any shade I can find is an absolute necessity. With regards to the humidity, though, I don’t feel much of a difference, if any. I have checked humidity levels in both places at the same time using Accuweather, and the humidity percentages were close to equal (with Toronto sometimes being higher), but everyone processes this kind of weather differently, so I think you will get a lot of subjective responses.

I don't find our GTA summers that hot, or even hot enough at least not during the past couple of years. Last summer was quite disappointing. We always get season's passes to Canada's Wonderland and I think we only used the waterpark a handful of times. There was one weekend where it was finally hot and sunny, so we spent the whole day at the waterpark - I think the entire GTA had the same idea, lol.

Sure, we get extreme weather warnings of high heat and humidity, but it's usually shortlived, and definitely not for weeks on end. During summers in Florida, it's extreme heat and humidity every.single.day - that makes a huge difference. I've been to WDW in July, as soon as you walk out of A/C, you feel like you have to take another shower, sweat just pours out!

I used to work/live in Houston so I got used to heavy humidity in higher temperatures, but it can be a beast if you’re not used to it. I prefer it over the Phoenix/Vegas dry heat, but ymmv on that.

Stay hydrated, take advantage of AC where you can find it, and try not to rush rush rush to the point of exhaustion.

I don't find our GTA summers that hot, or even hot enough at least not during the past couple of years. Last summer was quite disappointing. We always get season's passes to Canada's Wonderland and I think we only used the waterpark a handful of times. There was one weekend where it was finally hot and sunny, so we spent the whole day at the waterpark - I think the entire GTA had the same idea, lol.

Sure, we get extreme weather warnings of high heat and humidity, but it's usually shortlived, and definitely not for weeks on end. During summers in Florida, it's extreme heat and humidity every.single.day - that makes a huge difference. I've been to WDW in July, as soon as you walk out of A/C, you feel like you have to take another shower, sweat just pours out!

Same. When we have those hot days, to me, there is very little difference.

Anyone who lives in the GTA knows that our summers are BRUTAL, really hot and humid. Like humidex in the high 30's.

Just how does this compare with Orlando in August? I need some comparisons.

I've done Wonderland in July/August, been soaked in sweat when it was 35C and humid, but we managed.

Is Orlando just a whole level up from that? I need some GTA people to chime in!
Okay, since you have been to Wonderland when it is about 30c and above, and you are stuck on the long line to Behemoth or the Vortex. Disney World is stickier way way stickier. The concrete gets burning hot and sometimes it is really wonderful when it rains and cools it down a little. Have a Dolewhip and carry on. Oh and a hat that you can run under water is handy too.

One huge difference is the fact that in the GTA it cools down at night. That doesn't happen in Florida. That makes a huge difference. Plus, here it's typically a couple of days of hot/humid weather, then it cools down again. You're going to get weeks straight of 35C+ weather, with the nights being over 30C in Florida. You'll get thunderstorms daily due to the heat and humidity.

I guess I’m in the minority, because I find them very similar. I will run in the mornings in Toronto midsummer, and I will run at WDW in August (in the early morning as well- I’m not crazy!). What I do find to be very different is the strength of the sun. Down in Florida, the sun is sharp and searing. I can’t handle it for more than a few minutes. A hat, sunglasses, and any shade I can find is an absolute necessity. With regards to the humidity, though, I don’t feel much of a difference, if any. I have checked humidity levels in both places at the same time using Accuweather, and the humidity percentages were close to equal (with Toronto sometimes being higher), but everyone processes this kind of weather differently, so I think you will get a lot of subjective responses.
I’m with you. We’ve been the last week of August five different times and I would say its very similar. The humidex, and the temperature. However the difference is when I am home and its Africa hot I am going from the AC in my house to the AC in my car to an AC destination. I’m certainly not walking around in it for hours. You can’t just slog around in it all day in Florida either. Frequent breaks in the AC, mid day rest or swim at the resort and hydration are key.

We drink a lot in Disney World, I mean water...you can get ice water everywhere. The other thing about the weather is it saves me a lot of money because it is just too hot to eat a meal. We usually just have something slushy or frosty or frozen. But like Toronto, oh the summer nites are beautiful. Oh and free bug repellant in the parks.

I’m with you. We’ve been the last week of August five different times and I would say its very similar. The humidex, and the temperature. However the difference is when I am home and its Africa hot I am going from the AC in my house to the AC in my car to an AC destination. I’m certainly not walking around in it for hours. You can’t just slog around in it all day in Florida either. Frequent breaks in the AC, mid day rest or swim at the resort and hydration are key.

Totally agree. :thumbsup2 Very similar if you would be staying outside the whole time in TO. Completely doable. Drink lots and take frequent breaks — even if that’s shopping in the stores. ;)

Interested in this too as someday we'll be returning to WDW. And that means we'll need to decide between March Break and summer.
Last summer we selected DL over WDW since we knew both would be hot but no humidity at DL. And yeah..it was super hot at 100 degrees (was a heat wave when we went). We found cooling towels helped and we grabbed free ice water at the quick service.
Heard it's supposed to be a hot summer in Toronto this year (seems not possible after just having an ice storm in April...lol).
In Florida in the summer, there are also daily rainstorms too, right? Does that cool things down?

Interested in this too as someday we'll be returning to WDW. And that means we'll need to decide between March Break and summer.
Last summer we selected DL over WDW since we knew both would be hot but no humidity at DL. And yeah..it was super hot at 100 degrees (was a heat wave when we went). We found cooling towels helped and we grabbed free ice water at the quick service.
Heard it's supposed to be a hot summer in Toronto this year (seems not possible after just having an ice storm in April...lol).
In Florida in the summer, there are also daily rainstorms too, right? Does that cool things down?

We used to go during March Break every year but my DD’s sport commitments made us change to August. We had a few heat waves during March & I found where I could handle the huge spring break crowds - or heat - I didn’t like both together. ;) The benefit of switching to August was quite a bit of savings versus March - in hotels, flights, etc. And yes, even food, as you aren’t as hungry in the heat. (And sometimes you can score free dining!). Crowds are less, especially towards the end of the month. Since we are regulars, we can take it easy on touring. I’m not a fan of heat and sun ... it’s all doable at Disney!

Unlike DL during a heat wave,WDW has freezing A/C blasting out of every building. We did the cooling towels. I had a mister fan but didn’t like carrying it around. Do carry ponchos - either Disney ones or disposables, whatever suites your carrying style. It does tend to rain daily. But I’ve had a trip with no rain too. And no, it doesn’t lessen the humidity! Parks do empty out with light rain. Keep touring. My teen took plenty of selfies in the rain in front of the castle. No one around!

WDW is better than home ANY time of year! :goodvibes

Last edited:
We went in August in 2016 and are going again this August. I describe the heat as "punch you in the gut hot". Like, it took the breath out of us. But it is totally doable. TBH, if going in August, I'd 100% stay on property to allow for a quick jaunt back to the resort to swim and escape the heat for a few hours before going back for more. We also utilized morning extra magic hours because, even though the crowds picked up in the afternoon, it meant an hour of touring in the slightly cooler morning. When the crowds pick up, retreat for a cool down at the hotel and come back again around supper. It worked really well for us.

We had a hard time in WDW in late May once (it was apparently a bit warmer and humid than usual for that time of year). We did our best to take things slow, go under cover/into AC but it was still difficult for us. We switched up our visits to early December instead, although we may do a short trip next May over or near Victoria Day weekend. You simply have to accept that you'll be much slower than usual and drained and can't do as much and will need to take breaks especially between 12-2 pm. We would go back to our hotel at noon, stay by the pool until 2-ish and go for a late TS lunch in the AC and then either have dinner very late or just have a snack in the early evening. It's not our preferred method of touring but it worked.

Compared to summer in Orlando, GTA summers aren't hot or humid at all!! Orlando totally different. It's hotter, it's more humid.

The best description I've ever heard was- imagine the second you stepped outside someone covered you in hot, damp towels and then you put on a raincoat that you couldn't take off. That's exactly how it feels!

I've visited WDW twice in late August. My best tips are to take it slow, drink water continuously, even when you're not thirsty, wear light clothing in light colours, swim in the afternoons(hotel or water parks!) and return to the parks in the evenings. Swimming was the only way to truly cool off for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter