Tortola Baths question

KashasMom

DIS Veteran
Finally on our 3rd visit to Tortola we're going to the Baths. I'm wondering if there are lockers at the top for things you don't want to get wet or do you need to carry everything with you? I'm worried about phones, non-waterproof cameras, etc.

Finally on our 3rd visit to Tortola we're going to the Baths. I'm wondering if there are lockers at the top for things you don't want to get wet or do you need to carry everything with you? I'm worried about phones, non-waterproof cameras, etc.

No, I don't think there were any lockers, we had to keep everything with us. We put our bag on a rock and we could see it from the water. It was a pain in the neck to carry it along the trek to the Baths which is the second stop where you do all the climbing and bending and squeezing through things. But I can't complain, my husband carried it. :0).
Its such an amazing excursion, not to be missed! The views are just so amazing.

ETA: we had the waterproof phone cases around our necks, so our phones were with us. They worked great, got them on Amazon.

Have fun!

No, I don't think there were any lockers, we had to keep everything with us. We put our bag on a rock and we could see it from the water. It was a pain in the neck to carry it along the trek to the Baths which is the second stop where you do all the climbing and bending and squeezing through things. But I can't complain, my husband carried it. :0).
Its such an amazing excursion, not to be missed! The views are just so amazing.

ETA: we had the waterproof phone cases around our necks, so our phones were with us. They worked great, got them on Amazon.

Have fun!

Thanks! So you lugged your towels too? Was it very claustrophobic? I'm a bit worried about that.

Thanks! So you lugged your towels too? Was it very claustrophobic? I'm a bit worried about that.

Not too bad maybe one area was a little tight, but really it was cool, like caves. You will love it! Yes the towels were in the burlap bag Castaway bag they give you. I am going to see if I took any pics, we were just taking it all in and I not sure we snapped any.

I know that there is a site that will show you which ships will be in each port every day. A friend of mine went to the baths recently when the Fantasy was the only in port and she said it wasn't crowded. I have seen some pictures where it looks really crowded! Maybe if you look and see how many ships will be in port the day you are there that will give you an idea of how claustrophobic it might be?

Last edited:
That's a great point! I over research (or so says DW) so that I know how many ships are inport for all the port calls, for embark/debark days and so on. just Google for it. We use it to help shape our activities if we don't have a strong feeling for one shore activity or the other.

If on your visit to the Baths on Virgin Gorda, you are planning on going through the "caves" to Devils Bay ....
  • Wear your swimsuit
  • waterproof / athletic sandals (NOT flip flops!!)
  • Small bag - draw string bag with just a towel and change of clothes and sunscreen (everyone carries their own - for a family of 4, too much bulk for one person!)
  • Small Camera that's waterproof and shock proof

leave everything else on the ship!

Not too bad maybe one area was a little tight, but really it was cool, like caves. You will love it! Yes the towels were in the burlap bag Castaway bag they give you. I am going to see if I took any pics, we were just taking it all in and I not sure we snapped any.
Agree. However I think it should be noted that in at least one part of the return hike, you go up a ladder and then proceed through a "tunnel" under/through a hole in some rocks and either need to squat down VERY low or crawl on your knees, so people with bad knees or issues with "limberness" should be aware!

Agree. However I think it should be noted that in at least one part of the return hike, you go up a ladder and then proceed through a "tunnel" under/through a hole in some rocks and either need to squat down VERY low or crawl on your knees, so people with bad knees or issues with "limberness" should be aware!
Wow! Thanks for the heads up! While my family could do it, neither DH or me wants to be crawling around on vacation. The kids... they'd love it and be making fun of us while we did it, too!

There is a thread here from 2016 with great pictures to show you exactly the size of the tunnels where you may need to squeeze or crawl.
I don't know how to paste it here. I will keep trying.

My husband has arthritis in his hip and didn't have any issues.

I know that there is a site that will show you which ships will be in each port every day. A friend of mine went to the baths recently when the Fantasy was the only in port and she said it wasn't crowded. I have seen some pictures where it looks really crowded! Maybe if you look and see how many ships will be in port the day you are there that will give you an idea of how claustrophobic it might be?

I meant squeezing through the rocks, not so much the number of people...although too many people won't be much fun! Just checked...looks like we're the only ship in port that day so we're good on that front!

Last edited:
I just carried my regular backpack I use for travel. It was just me and a kid, so I just squeezed two towels in.
I believe I only carried a small amount of cash and a small waterproof camera.

I just left everything on the beach while we played in the water. I'm a trusting soul.

I didn't have problems climbing around the rocks with it.

(I genuinely believe the difficulty of the walk is severely overly hyped.)

I meant squeezing through the rocks, not so much the number of people...although too many people won't be much fun! Just checked...looks like we're the only ship in port that day so we're good on that front!
Oh funny! I didn't even consider the rocks as an issue lol! Some of the pictures I have seen it looks so crowded that I might feel claustrophobic. At least a rock you can bump into and not feel bad lol! That's great that yours is the only ship there when you go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter