Total sticker shock how expensive its gone.

penlanspice

Addicted 2 disney
We've had a 5 year break from disney after visiting 3 times a year for 15 years, we found we werent appreciating it so decided to have a few years break and travel to different places. A number of family things happened which has now turned into 5 years.

I've spent the last 2 days looking at prices for next year and I cant believe how much everything has gone up, the dollar has a lot to answer for 🙄 car hire alone has doubled. Annual passes are crazy.
After reading up a bit i cant believe the difference, even Disney charging for parking at resorts etc. Feels like we're now getting out priced. Certainly couldn't afford 3 holidays a year to orlando now.

We were so looking forward to going back, now wondering if I can justify the cost. 🤔

I don't think we can blame the exchange rate too much - my flights next year are about the same price I paid 6 years ago. It is the price at Disney that has rocketed - in particular the tickets. Was gobsmakced how much they are now. My tickets for Disney and Universal are more than what we are paying for the flights, which is just ridiculous.

As far as i was aware you don't pay to park at resorts if your staying at the resort.

Your right in how much things have gone up and yes the dollar rate does have an affect but some of the increase is demand.

I had a look today at Eurostar to Disneyland Paris for a short break and if you travel by train the train fare alone was 218 pounds per adult but if i went to Paris and not the Disney station it was only 90 pounds per person yet it is a longer journey, this shows that companies put up prices just because its going to somewhere like Disney, it's the demand that drives up the price.

We too have been priced out....we haven't been since 2011, but ticket prices, and hotel rates (on-siteparking at the resorts is $20-$25/day), have increased significantly. Exponetially increased prices are definitely a result of supply/demand, but corporate greed is also a big part of it. A lot of families couldn't afford a Disney vacation years ago, and now even more families won't be able to afford it... Unfortunately, everything is increasing in price, but not necessarily in value, not just Disney.....Corporate greed, in my opinion is one of the greatest influences on ALL of it. I'm glad we had the chance to vist when we did, because at the current price point, we would have to either win the lottery, or save for a LOT longer than we used to have to...

I am stateside but prices have more than doubled since our first trip in 2007. We went five times but our last trip was in 2015 and no trips are in our future. I know Disney always gave you folks in the UK amazing offers, sorry to hear things aren't as enticing for you now.

I agree with all that has been said at this point. I can not help but wonder what Walt Disney himself would think of all of it, considering his motivation behind building Disneyland in the first place.

Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money. I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something than educate people and hope they were entertained. When people laugh at Mickey Mouse, it's because he's so human; and that is the secret of his popularity. Walt E. Disney

“The idea for Disneyland came about when my daughters were very young and Saturday was always Daddy’s day with the two daughters. So we’d start out and try to go someplace, you know, different things, and I’d take them to the merry-go-round and I took them different places and as I’d sit while they rode the merry-go-round and did all these things- sit on a bench, you know, eating peanuts- I felt that there should be something built where the parents and the children could have fun together. So that’s how Disneyland started. Well, it took many years… it was a period of maybe fifteen years developing. I started with many ideas, threw them away, started all over again. And eventually it evolved into what you see today at Disneyland. But it all started from a daddy with two daughters wondering where he could take them where he could have a little fun with them, too.” – Walt Disney

I am a Disney stockholder and feel the average family is getting priced out. Charging for parking at a resort you are already paying to stay at is simply put ridiculous

A lot to think about................

My 2 cents

I am stateside but prices have more than doubled since our first trip in 2007. We went five times but our last trip was in 2015 and no trips are in our future. I know Disney always gave you folks in the UK amazing offers, sorry to hear things aren't as enticing for you now.
Our first trip was 2002, we fell in love with Disney right from our first visit, we visited 3 times a year on average, bought dvc, got married at disney, it was our whole life. We used to visit for 14 to 21 days a visit so definitely used to get our moneys worth.

The last 5 years we've rented out our dvc and travelled extensively, we never stuck exclusively to disney anyway but the last few years we've been all over the world.
It's been down to my husband breaking his neck so we've not visiting cause hes not going to be able to go on rides etc, but we've missed it a lot.

Even annual passes have increased like around 200 pounds at least to the last time we bought them, car hire doubled in price, accommodation in a number of places we've stayed has doubled.
Looking at disney dining when stating dvc, I cant justify the cost.

It's not just the dollar as that's been pretty crap for a number of years, last year we visited usa and did a month in may visiting New Orleans, Las Vegas, la, and again boston and a cruise in nov, I'm prepared for the decline in currency as we've continued to visit usa, but disney has just gone crazy and taken things away and stripped it.

Now debating on going, we were taking friends for the first time and feel disheartened.

As far as i was aware you don't pay to park at resorts if your staying at the resort.

That's the way it used to be. Not only have the prices of some of the resort rooms doubled, they've added parking to the room as well.

I'm going in January, alone with a friend. I committed before realizing that the costs have skyrocketed.

The price staying at a Value is about two times what I paid in late 2015 (low season). Restaurant prices for mediocre food are very very high. The ticket prices have gone WAY up. I took a grandson in 2015, and it was fairly affordable with staying at a value and not eating many table service meals (maybe one or two I think).

I'd like to take the other grandson, but the prices would be about twice as much or so as in 2015. I understand a little increase, but the prices have NOT kept pace with inflation and I'm certainly being priced out- while they announce record profits and pay their CEO $66 million a year and the workers make $12/hour or so.

I've told everyone that January is my last trip, annual pass or not.

That's the way it used to be. Not only have the prices of some of the resort rooms doubled, they've added parking to the room as well.

I'm going in January, alone with a friend. I committed before realizing that the costs have skyrocketed.

The price staying at a Value is about two times what I paid in late 2015 (low season). Restaurant prices for mediocre food are very very high. The ticket prices have gone WAY up. I took a grandson in 2015, and it was fairly affordable with staying at a value and not eating many table service meals (maybe one or two I think).

I'd like to take the other grandson, but the prices would be about twice as much or so as in 2015. I understand a little increase, but the prices have NOT kept pace with inflation and I'm certainly being priced out- while they announce record profits and pay their CEO $66 million a year and the workers make $12/hour or so.

I've told everyone that January is my last trip, annual pass or not.

Strange as i have looked at our prices since 2011 and our 2019 price was not double even the 2011 price.

Strange as i have looked at our prices since 2011 and our 2019 price was not double even the 2011 price.
In 2014 we paid £3800 for 16 nights and booked staying in OKW but next year 17 nights at Port Orleans French Quarter is £6800. Both with 14 day park tickets and free dining (difference paid to make POFQ standard plan). So not so far off double the price and a down graded hotel category.

yes, sadly the prices have shot up and sadly the crowd levels have also shot up. Last year we spent more time at the resort than we ever have due to being fed up of the crowds

We bought tickets from UT in 2015:

Which we then upgraded to 7 days at the gate. It was cheaper that when then buying the 7 day PH directly from WDW. I can't remember the exact amount it cost to upgrade, but it was about $40 each.

So our total was $377 + $357 (child) for 7 day PH. The WDW was quite a bit higher, so the UT was a great deal for us!

For January, 2020, I have no one under 10, but for myself the 7 day PH at UT is $665.20. On WDW site, it's $666.78.

So, correct- not double. Only 77% higher since 2015.

I can't find my Thanksgiving 2015 reservation, but I stayed at the Pop for approx. $77 per night. It was a preferred room, from a Saturday to Saturday. No charge for parking, and I booked through Orbitz to get that discounted price.

This time, I couldn't afford the Pop, so I booked at All-star Sports, which was the cheapest, for two nights and Shades of Green for the rest of our trip (which is a huge bargain, at $165/night).

Two nights at the cheapest place (this time in January) is $288. That's without parking, but did include tax. With parking, that's $157/night.

That's more than double, for a lower quality room at the lowest quality resort. Instead of Thanksgiving weekend, we're going in a "value season", but it is Marathon weekend. And that's with booking through UT, and not Disney which shows: $347.32 + $26 parking= $373.32 or $186.66/night.

I love Disney as much as anyone, but I'm getting priced out. The only way I can do this now is I can stay at Shades of Green in January as a veteran, and I have a friend paying half to share with me. For my family, I cannot do it.

In 2014 we paid £3800 for 16 nights and booked staying in OKW but next year 17 nights at Port Orleans French Quarter is £6800. Both with 14 day park tickets and free dining (difference paid to make POFQ standard plan). So not so far off double the price and a down graded hotel category.

Wow 3800 for flights accommodation and tickets that was a bargain of bargain's, you got a great deal and this is why your not seeing this now as that is an unbelievable price especially staying at OKW.

I would have stayed for a month if i got that price.

View attachment 438002

Which we then upgraded to 7 days at the gate. It was cheaper that when then buying the 7 day PH directly from WDW. I can't remember the exact amount it cost to upgrade, but it was about $40 each.

So our total was $377 + $357 (child) for 7 day PH. The WDW was quite a bit higher, so the UT was a great deal for us!

For January, 2020, I have no one under 10, but for myself the 7 day PH at UT is $665.20. On WDW site, it's $666.78.

So comparing like for like how much is the ticket now on UT as the first one you did not buy from WDW?

View attachment 438002

You do realise we buy in pounds! The 14 day ticket bought direct costing £449 or about 560 dollars!

Wow 3800 for flights accommodation and tickets that was a bargain of bargain's, you got a great deal and this is why your not seeing this now as that is an unbelievable price especially staying at OKW.

I would have stayed for a month if i got that price.
Sorry no flights, just the Disney stuff. The flights were £3150 indirect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!