Total sticker shock how expensive its gone.

we go as that big family group about every 5 or 6 years...
with DVC, you can use up to 3 years of points at one go....
so we use 3 years of points for one trip and the other 3 years, we rent out the points, covering the cost of the hotel stay (not anything else, just covering the hotel)..

so that works well for us...

Renting out the points works well for us too. We haven't stayed onsite for a few years x

Agreed, can't believe how expensive its gotten in last few years,
We've booked the same holiday ever 2 years, same flights and hotel just slight difference in dates (Always chose cheapest between April & May) and the difference is unreal!
For direct flights with Virign from Glasgow in May for 2 weeks, for 2 adults staying at All-Star-Music, 2 weeks park tickets and getting the free dining:

2016 £2,600 ish
2018 £3,285.66
2020 £4386.20

The last time I went to Disney was 2011 (before that 2001 and 2002). I'm going this May with my boyfriend (his first trip!), we're paying £3300 for 12 nights in All-Star Music and that was the cheapest for April/May. I've been looking at the prices of food etc to try and budget and it's easily doubled since my last trip. I remember paying $2/3 dollars for an ice cream or soda, and they're now $5.50!

So I came across this thread whilst 'grieving' the loss our Disney holiday in July. Have to say having £6K plus back on my credit card had given me pause to reflect on how expensive our trip had become - like many we just rebooked year after year but when I think a 5 day stay on site despite free dining and park tickets, for 3 people still came in at £3,450 (or £230 pp per day) so Im kind of relieved at being given the opportunity to reflect and think about alternatives in future. I am doubtful if will be the same anyway for at least the next few years so time to move on I think. Maybe this natural disaster will make big shareholders rethink about their profit margins and get back to the basic supply of magic instead of skimming off as much profit as possible - ridiculous charging car parking at a hotel already being paid for. I am happy Ive shared a dozen magical trips with my DH and DS over the years and won't be back for a long while.

Last edited:

Kaz65
Look to Europe

Holland has De Efteling & Toverland & many more

Germany has Phantasialand & more

France ..... beside Disney has Parc Astrix & More

So I came across this thread whilst 'grieving' the loss our Disney holiday in July. Have to say having £6K plus back on my credit card had given me pause to reflect on how expensive our trip had become - like many we just rebooked year after year but when I think a 5 day stay on site despite free dining and park tickets, for 3 people still came in at £3,450 (or £230 pp per day) so Im kind of relieved at being given the opportunity to reflect and think about alternatives in future. I am doubtful if will be the same anyway for at least the next few years so time to move on I think. Maybe this natural disaster will make big shareholders rethink about their profit margins and get back to the basic supply of magic instead of skimming off as much profit as possible - ridiculous charging car parking at a hotel already being paid for. I am happy Ive shared a dozen magical trips with my DH and DS over the years and won't be back for a long while.

Shareholders will never rethink profit margins. It's why they own stock. Sadly, Disney vacations aren't going to go down in price. Quite the opposite as the company will be seeking to recoup their losses as quickly as possible. Not to mention the same for airlines. I'm sorry to know you won't be back for a long while. I imagine on our next trip, we'll drive down from where we live (Virginia) rather than flying as usual. Things will be changing. It is sad.

Thanks for the feedback. If I lived in the US I would feel different and take a chance driving there but its just too much of a risk travelling so far with a chance we won't be permitted access - if its true they will be testing on the gates. Maybe once a vaccine is available things will be different?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!