TR: 10/05/01 SWF/BGT Howl-O-Scream - Awesome!

robvia

<font color=red>DIS Veteran<br><font color=indigo>
Cast, Me (37)

SWF Friday 10/05/01

Drove up from Plantation Florida, arriving early. Parked at the Renaissance Hotel and walked over. SWF opened at 9am, but you couldn’t get to the back of the park or the Polar Bear exhibit side until 10am. There was more security at the gate. All bags are opened on tables, and they have metal dectetor wands. They didn’t use the wand on me, and they don’t frisk, but they can if they want. I noticed many off duty police officers entering the park because they get in for free. The Key West area was open, and this is where most people started their day. The dolphin feeding started at 09:15am, stingray feeding started at 10am. I fed the dolphins, then waited until 10am for the rest of the park to open. Rode Kraken a few times, got 2 exit re-rides, that’s the limit of exit re-rides, then they ask you to go around again. JTA was running and filled up rather quickly, it was about a 10-minute wait. Then I went back to Kraken and roke again.

Here’s the good stuff. An operations manager was on the exit side talking to the ride ops. I ended up sitting next to him in the back row. Just before the coaster left I asked him what he does, because he was dressed like a performer or a musician. He had on long pants, and black dress shoes, and his cell phone was going nuts with people calling him. That’s when he told me he was an operations manager. When Kraken hit the brakes, I asked him which park would get the next ride. He said that if history repeats itself, Seaworld would get the next coaster because BGT just got Rhino Rally. I asked him where would they put it. He said up front between the ski stadium and Shamu’s stadium. That sounds good because the simulator leading to the polar bear exhibit is the kind that makes me sick (tricks your brain), and on this trip, I didn’t even go to the polar bear exhibit. I went around the back of the park to the Shamu stadium, then went back the same way to the sting ray tank. So adding a coaster to the front of the park is a good idea.

Went to the Shamu show at 11am, the stadium was full. In the beginning of the show, they asked all fire fighters and policemen to stand up and be honored. A lot of people stood up, it seemed like half the people in the stadium rose up. Then again, some of them may have been giving them a Standing-O. It was a moment to be proud of, the roar from the crowd was loud. Went back to the Key West area and fed the StingRays, then left.

BGT Howl-O-Scream

Drove to Tampa and checked into the Days Inn next to BGT, $45 for 1 night. Hey, I got a pool view without asking, how about that? Took a nap. Woke up, got ready, and walked to BGT from the DaysInn. This was about a half mile, walked to the tram stop, got on, and rode to the main gate, it was about 07:30pm when I got there. They start at 7pm, so I was a little bit late. I showed them my bronze passport card and they sold me a ticket for $18. Line to get in was short. I saw a sign saying people who are already in the park can buy a How-O-Scream ticket for $17.50. Went in, they have the same security here as SWF. They open all bags and there are more security guards looking at the people.

Went on Gwazi, rode each side, walk on, but no exit re-rides allowed. It was cool to ride in the dark, crisp cool air, low humidity, really nice. In front of Gwazi they had a DJ playing pop music, this was great hearing music in the park, the sound system was awesome. I wish they would add music in the queues on all their rides. They had 4 DJs at various places in the park.
The first haunted house was located in the bird garden, called Screaming Reality. I walked into a building and waited in line. Cast members dressed in grungy cloths harassed people in the line. They only let about 6 people in at a time to stagger the groups. So, what’s it like? It’s dark, you walk back outside along pathways with walls on each side. Scary people on both sides push Skeltons out at you and scream to scare people. You quickly catch up to the people in front of you, and then you can see what’s going to happen. There’s really nothing they can do about this, because if they stagger the people more, the wait time will be too long. So everyone walks in a line thru the maze as people jump out from the walls. Leaving the maze, you end up in Land of the Dragons, they call it Jungle of Doom. There is a little detoor (yes, they spell it that way) path made up of boxes. You go thru it and people jump out and scare you. There are also people laying on the ground saying help me. Next you walk over the bridge leading to Stanleyville which has a fog machine making fog with haunted sounds. Nothing else happens here, but it is creepy. In Stanleyville, in front of the train station, there is another DJ spinning tunes. His set up has a light shining into the trees, cool effect.
Now I’m next to the log flume ride and there is another little pathway to walk thru. A girl is dressed as a statue sitting on the ground, she has on a white dress and white paint on her face. When I pass by her, she moves, changes poses, and then goes back to being a statue. Another girl is standing a few feet away doing the same thing. This was so cool that people went back to see them do it again over and over.
The next haunted house is located near Python, Night Stalkers in 3D, they give you 3D glasses, the paper kind. You put them on and walk into the building. They have florscent paint on the walls, which makes the 3D effect. The orange color is in the foreground, other colors in the background. The effect works. The skeltons and drawings on the wall appear to be 3D, it’s very cool. Characters pop out from around corners and scream, but it was the artwork of the walls that made this attraction so cool. Again, they try to stagger the groups, but you eventually catch up to the people in front of you, and it’s a single file line of people moving thru the maze.
Next I walked to the Congo River rapids, the ride was working and people we’re squirting the riders. This was funny because most we’re dressed in regular cloths and they we’re getting soaked.
Next was some night rides on Kumba. The queue was full, but they had 2 trains running, so the line moved fast. Again, night time, crisp cool air, the moon in the sky, a couple exit rides, cool.
Next haunted house is located where the bumper cars are, its called Creepers Crypt. This house had the same type of walls that you walk between, with lights and sound effects. But it was darker and scarier. While walking thru this one, they had people dressed in black robes that would literally pop out in front of you. It scared some people behind me. In one spot, they had someone lying down above the people tickling them with a dust feather.
Next I walked into Timbuktu and they had a DJ spinning tunes. Festhaus was open and people we’re eating, I eventually came back here.
I kept on walking towards the train station. Just before it, they had a pathway with the boxes with people lying down on the ground saying help me. One of the scariest things happens here. The people are running around with shovels. They literally drag them on the ground causing sparks to fly. The sound of a shovel scraping the ground and the sparks is very scary. People we’re running to get away from these people.
Got on the train, rode around the park. There are no scary effects or people that pop out, but just riding the train in the dark was fun enough.
Walked towards Montu. They have two more haunted houses along the way and the 4th DJ in front of the Colony house and the sky station. The names of these haunted houses are Escape From Insanity and Curse of Tut’s Tomb. I didn’t do them, I guess I was tired of people screaming at me and I wanted to go on Montu. But people we’re coming out of them very scared. These two haunted houses we’re dark, with fog coming out of them.
I kept walking and rode Montu a few times with a couple exit re-rides. What can I say, Montu in the dark, awesome. I was hungry, walked thru the train station, running to get away from the shovel people. Made it back to Festhaunt, ate a sandwich. I was getting tired and had enough. Made it back to the front of the park and left. Rode the tram back to the first stop, and walked the half a mile back to the DaysInn.

Was it worth the extra money, YES. All the rides we’re a walk on all night. There we’re a lot of people, but it wasn’t too crowded. It was the perfect crowd level, you got the idea that the park was full, but yet the rides we’re all walkons. I went to the front and filled out a comment form making a suggestion that they put a light rig over the DJ area in front of the colony house. The DJs we’re spinning cool music, but noone was dancing. If they put a wooden floor and a light rig in this area, then I bet the people would dance. It would be club BGT if they put up a light rig with the effects. It was kinda like a club because people we’re drinking beer walking around with those huge plastic bottles. It was just a different kind of atmosphere because it was mostly adults having a party.

Saturday 10/06/01
I slept in, woke up around 10am, checked out and drove to the McDonalds down the street. Walked to the tram stop, and the parking lot was packed, each tram was full. Went into the park, walked to Rhino Rally, the 2nd half of the ride was was working, but had a 2 hour wait. They we’re even announcing the wait time on the loud speaker. No left turn ride for me, I went to Festhaus and ate. They had tvs on with the college game previews and some Budweiser displays leading into the building. A DJ was here spinning tunes with characters playing with the kids. It was interesting to see the park the next day set up for the general public (GP) and kids after being there the previous night. The pathway scare zones we’re covered up or roped off. Walked to Kumba and rode a few times. My feet we’re tired, and it was the middle of the day, hot, humid, not the same as the previous night, the park was packed.
Walked all the way around the park, and went on Montu one final time. I queued up in the 2nd row, and an empty seat was open up front, I snagged it. Front seat ride on Montu only waiting 1minute, what more could you ask for? The parking lot was almost full, and more people we're coming, the park was full. I decided to end my day with that perfect ride.
Left the park, rode the tram back to the first stop, walked back to McDonalds, drove home.

Howl-O-Scream gets and A+ from me.

No, Rhino Rally was not open for Howl-O-Scream, and none of the animals we're out. I didn't even see any animals on the train ride, they we're all put away or moved out of sight.
To everyone else, if you wanna go on Rhino Rally and get your left turn ride, then get there when the park opens. I got there 1 hour late and the queue was full, with a 2 hour wait. I was scratching my head looking at the line. Is it because the ride is new, or do people really like this thing? I think it's a little of both, since it is a family ride, the older folks can go on it. That's fine with me, makes the lines for the coasters less.

Rhino Rally is new, so everyone wants to ride it. The loads are very slow, which makes the really long. Good thing they finally put a single riders line and Quick Queue on it.

Thanks for the report on Howl-O-Scream. Sounds like it is really expanded from last year. Hopefully we can make it there one night before the end of the month.

Rhino Rally is crowded because its new. I went over the summer and waited almost 3 hrs. Line barely moved and there were 2 breakdowns. It really is not worth waiting very long for. We went on the weekend after the terrorist attacks and only had to wait 10 mintutes. The first half of the ride was closed. This ride is a major disappointment. There are reports Busch paid $20 million for this ride. It doesn't seem like they got their money's worth. They could of constructed 2 good coasters with that kind of money. This ride is way too tame and not worth riding more than once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter