Trader Sam's question

I did need 't get Trader Sam's at all. (No, folks just because you overpaid for drinks in funny glasses you aren't suddenly that funny)

For all the whining about "drunks" at Food & Wine the only place I have ever seen really obnoxious drunks was this place.

Maybe it was just the night I went but watching 50 year old men try to act like they were still 20 while getting wasted was not fun , just sad.

Sorry you ran into some drunks, but at any bar that is possible, though still unfortunate. Having been at both Trader Sam locations I didn't see anyone that was that inebriated at all and I've actually never seen anyone acting like that at any of the Tiki Bars I've visited. I see that far more at your average brew pub.

As for overpriced... If you are making a good Tiki drink with fresh ingredients and quality rum (and other spirits) you will find their prices in right in line, if not a bit lower. I grabbed a few prices of a Ma Tai (very classic Tiki drink) and Trader Sam's was pretty much right in the middle. The mugs are optional, and as popular as they are and the fact they run out of them often I'd say many people enjoy the souvenir. Hey why not have a Zombie Mug instead of another Disney T-shirt? ;)

If you're not into the tiki drinks or mugs or scene that is your call, but that's the great thing in the world we don't all have to like the same things.

Mai Tai
Tiki Cat (Kansas City) $10
The Grass Skirt (San Diego) $10
Adrift (Denver) $11
Trader Sam’s (Orlando) $12
Undertow (Phoenix) $12
Three Dots and a Dash (Chicago) $15
Mai-Kai (Ft. Lauderdale) $17
I agree I don’t find it overpriced for what it is in WDW. And we have family in OC and spend a lot of time there which can confirm, one of the most expensive areas of the US. I was also raised in a top 5 city and even though I live in Cleveland now our local tiki bars are more expensive than Trader Sams. The atmosphere is silly and doesn’t take itself too seriously in my experience which makes it fun especially after a long day of heat, lines and crowds. I haven’t felt that anyone was thinking they were funny but truly just trying to be ridiculous and almost self deprecating. People there being obnoxious or thinking it’s elite could take way from that.

But is it for everyone? No and that’s okay. It can be crowded and could be misconstrued. You have to try it for yourself and if it’s not for you it’s almost a relief - no need to bother further!

DH and I actually prefer the patio. We had amazing weather for our wedding/honeymoon trip late April/early May. We spent a couple of nights enjoying drinks out there. Now I've got DH on an expensive mug collecting habit

The patio is nice and you still get the same drinks and mugs available, but the main draw/purpose of the place is the decor inside and the antics that go on. Its like a show, in a sense. I think that's why you can't see inside and they don't allow people in there just to see it.

I didn't get Trader Sam's at all. (No, folks just because you overpaid for drinks in funny glasses you aren't suddenly that funny)

For all the whining about "drunks" at Food & Wine the only place I have ever seen really obnoxious drunks was this place.

Maybe it was just the night I went but watching 50 year old men try to act like they were still 20 while getting wasted was not fun , just sad.

I agree with PPs that drunks can be anywhere there is alcohol. I personally have never had this experience at Trader Sam's, but what I have seen are adults getting into the antics with the servers and bartenders - cheering, egging them on, hooting and hollering. People really get into it.

Thanks. Will have to watch other people effects then!

Most (all?) of the effects are experienced by the whole room. Think Tiki Room in MK.

Unless they changed their policy, you cannot get the souvenir cups without the corresponding (alcoholic) drink though. There’s one non-alcohol drink with a cup, but it’s plastic.

I’m not a fan of sweet mixed drinks so I just order based on the cup I want, take a few sips, and give DH the rest.

The patio is nice and you still get the same drinks and mugs available, but the main draw/purpose of the place is the decor inside and the antics that go on. Its like a show, in a sense. I think that's why you can't see inside and they don't allow people in there just to see it.

Yeah I get that. I've sat in there a couple of times, but sometimes we like to just sit outside and talk and enjoy the weather. I guess the main draw for us is the drinks and the mugs :rotfl:

I don't really get waiting 2 hours to get into a bar.

Neither do I. But the 3 times I've been there (and 2 or 3 at Disneyland) I haven't had to wait anywhere near that long.

As for overpriced... If you are making a good Tiki drink with fresh ingredients and quality rum (and other spirits) you will find their prices in right in line, if not a bit lower.

Agreed. And TS at least makes their drinks taste good; the tiki bar here in town uses so much good liquor and so little juice/mixer that ALL I can taste is the rum. People rave over the place, but I like a little non-liquor flavor in a drink. :)

Can you get non alcoholic cocktails? Does anyone know if these produce the special effects?

Yes and no.

Most (all?) of the effects are experienced by the whole room. Think Tiki Room in MK.

All, as far as I can tell.

Trader Sam's is one of my favorite rides at WDW!

Good way to look at it! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!