Traffic from DL to Las Vegas

DisneyWorld Delight

No Tag For You!
Heading to DL on Tuesday! Whoop! Whoop! (WDW vets but first timers to DL, or even west of Kansas.)

Anyone have any idea of the traffic leaving from DL on Friday morning and heading to Las Vegas? I saw a thread from a few years ago that stated it was a nightmare, because everone from Los Angeles headed to Las Vegas for the weekend. Is this accurate? Will the traffic be horrific if we leave in the early morning, like 8am? Any help or insite is appreciated. Thanks.

DisneyWorld Delight said:
Heading to DL on Tuesday! Whoop! Whoop! (WDW vets but first timers to DL, or even west of Kansas.)

Anyone have any idea of the traffic leaving from DL on Friday morning and heading to Las Vegas? I saw a thread from a few years ago that stated it was a nightmare, because everone from Los Angeles headed to Las Vegas for the weekend. Is this accurate? Will the traffic be horrific if we leave in the early morning, like 8am? Any help or insite is appreciated. Thanks.

Well I live in Vegas and I don't really recommend to people to drive to/from on Friday or Sunday if they can absolutely help it. Keep in mind if you leave LA around 8am, you will be fighting their morning rush hour traffic as well while you are on their freeways in town. But if you leave much later than that, you will most certainly run into traffic on the 15 coming into Vegas. A lot of people must leave LA around 9-11am because the 15 here in Vegas is usually at a standstill around 2pm from everyone coming into town.

Good luck if you decide to do that! It will be okay, but it might take you 5-6 hours to do what should be a 4 hour drive. Travel safe!

Andrea

Could you leave Thursday night instead? DH and a group of friends are going on their annual Sept Vegas trip to see Frozen Fury (LA Kings Hockey). They leave on Thursday night and usually get there quick.

We drove from LA to Vegas to save on flights and it took forever!! We left the DLR around 12:00 and I can't remember the exact time, but it took us about 6 hours to get there!! The traffic was horrific!

For the next several months the main pass to vegas fom LA is under construction ,Check on the Cal Trans web site for updated info before your trip.YOU REALLY DONT WANT TO GET STUCK IN THAT MESS UNNECESSARILY! :crazy:

I booked from long beach to las vegas on jet blu for $185.60 for 2 people and hr and we will be there, sitting in car that long isn't for me. I had a friend tell me she did it with her husband and it was the worst most boring ride. :cool1:

The I-15 is undergoing freeway widening and repaving at the current time. The area of interest now is in the Devore area as you approach the El Cajon Pass. Caltrans is closing down all but one lane in each direction from Friday night through Sunday evenings for several weeks.

Check with www.caltrans.com and www.sigalert.org for furrent information.

I recommend you leave after rush hour (9:00am). You will most likely arrive in Las Vegas in about 4.5 to 5 hours.

GailT said:
I booked from long beach to las vegas on jet blu for $185.60 for 2 people and hr and we will be there, sitting in car that long isn't for me. I had a friend tell me she did it with her husband and it was the worst most boring ride. :cool1:

And 4 tanks of gas could be $160 or more. I say fly!

Thanks for all the info.

Flying would be great, except, you have to get to the airport 2 - 2.5 hours early, then airtime... If the trip only takes us 4.5 - 5 hours, seems like a wash. BUT...if driving it takes us 7 hours in stand still traffic, I will be pulling out my hair.

I am seriously considering: driving over on Thursday evening versus Friday morning. I will have to do some hotel changes, but I am getting a little anxious about sitting in the car all day. (Surely the traffic will be fine at 8pm!)

one more thing... Matterhorn, what's the traffic like in Vegas on Sunday? We are at Bally's and our plane heads out at 5pm. I was going to head to the airport little after 2, trying to avoid the strip. Any advice.

(Surely the traffic will be fine at 8pm!)

Surely you jest! - I have taken this drive and it has taken about 10 hours - that was Thanksgiving weekend - coming from Vegas to LA. Sometimes the later it gets - the worse the traffic gets. And you are not the only one who leaves Thursday evening to avoid Friday traffic - you need to travel Tues - Thursday DAYTIME to avoid the traffic between Vegas and LA.

With construction - the drive is slower.

My advice is leave Thursday at 9 AM (after rush hour in LA) - however you will hit Vegas at their rush hour - but at least you are there.

How about the traffic from Vegas to DL? We fly into Vegas on Thursday and have to be at a wedding in Newport Beach for Saturday at 4 p.m. We were thinking of driving down on from Las Vegas on Saturday morning (8 a.m.) to Newport Beach. Would it be better to go down Friday?
Then coming back we will go to Vegas either Tuesday or Wednesday. Sounds like the traffic should not be too bad then but will factor in the construction.
Deb

one more thing... Matterhorn, what's the traffic like in Vegas on Sunday? We are at Bally's and our plane heads out at 5pm. I was going to head to the airport little after 2, trying to avoid the strip. Any advice.

Traffic will be okay. The only times I really avoid the strip is Friday and Saturday nights. There is a back way out of Bally's and the airport is really close. It will probably take you 15 minutes, 20 if you hit a few lights on the way! Good luck!

Andrea

The general traffic pattern is to get to Vegas for the weekend and back to LA for work on Monday morning.

calena said:
How about the traffic from Vegas to DL? We fly into Vegas on Thursday and have to be at a wedding in Newport Beach for Saturday at 4 p.m. We were thinking of driving down on from Las Vegas on Saturday morning (8 a.m.) to Newport Beach. Would it be better to go down Friday?
Then coming back we will go to Vegas either Tuesday or Wednesday. Sounds like the traffic should not be too bad then but will factor in the construction.
Deb

We leave on Saturday mornings all the time around 7am and we get there in about 3.5-4 hours. It will be about 15-30 minutes longer to the beach depending on traffic. You should be safe, except weekends throughout October all bets are off because of the construction that some PP's mentioned. One lane through the pass could seriously slow someone down.

Andrea

Forgot to add, you won't have a problem with the construction on your way back, it is only taking place on the weekends from what I have read so far.

Andrea

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter