Transport Chair/GAC/Ride Restrictions

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
It's official, my DS will still be restricted in his walking when we visit WDW/DCL in Dec. He is able to stand and can walk a limited distance, but is supposed to wear his removeable ortho boot. Have a few additional questions, hope you can help:

1) On Dr's advice, we'll be taking a transport chair for him. We'll be staying @ the VWL and plan on using the boat. Will they allow it onboard. We'd be folding it up & he'd be sitting in a seat.

2) On the buses, is it allowed to fold up the chair & haul it on board?

3) If we drive to the parks, should we use the handicapped parking. If so, what is the procedure for this.

4) Will he be allowed on the more vigorous rides with his boot? He could take it off to enter the ride vehicle, but then we'd have to leave the boot in the chair - hope no one would take it.

5) Should I request a letter from one of his Dr's to obtain a GAC or will it be self-evident to the CM's?

My main question(s) revolve around what we do with the chair when we arrive @ an attraction. I assume we can push him up to where you actually board the ride...but what happens to the chair? At some locations, you get off @ a different place than where you board. Will the CM let you leave it there & retreive it afterwards?

If we park the chair in the stroller area outside an attraction (ex. Peter Pan); do I have to worry about theft?

Sorry if these questions have been asked many times before, my head's spinning...thanks for your patience.

keishashadow said:
It's official, my DS will still be restricted in his walking when we visit WDW/DCL in Dec. He is able to stand and can walk a limited distance, but is supposed to wear his removeable ortho boot. Have a few additional questions, hope you can help:

1) On Dr's advice, we'll be taking a transport chair for him. We'll be staying @ the VWL and plan on using the boat. Will they allow it onboard. We'd be folding it up & he'd be sitting in a seat.
You can bring it aboard the boats. You don't need to fold it if you don't want to. If it's hard to fold, it may be easier to just have him get out and then lift it on board. They do have portable ramps so you can wheel it right on it you want. Sometimes the distance between the dock and the boat is OK to roll on, sometimes it's not - it depends on the water level.

2) On the buses, is it allowed to fold up the chair & haul it on board?
If you haven't already done so, check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread stuck near the top of this board. You can fold the chair and bring it on board the bus or you can use the back door lift or ramp to bring it on. If it's not folded, they will probably ancor it down with wheelchair tiedowns. Transport chairs are not meant for riding in while in a bus thoug, so even if they tie it down, he should sit in a seat rather than the chair.
3) If we drive to the parks, should we use the handicapped parking. If so, what is the procedure for this.
If the transport chair folds up easily and small enough to hold on the tram and your son is able to walk a few steps and step up to get onto the tram, then you might actually be better off just using the regular parking lots. There is no tram service from the handicapped lots to the park entrance. The closest spots in the handicapped lots require a state issued handicapped parking permit (they have either a handicapped sign, a wheelchair symbol or blue painted lines). If you park in those spots without a handicapped parking permit, it is possible to get a ticket. You can ask his doctor about getting a temporary permit or tell the CM (each one you come to in the parking lot) that you have a wheelchair, but don't have a handicaped parking permit. They should direct you to a place where you can park.
4) Will he be allowed on the more vigorous rides with his boot? He could take it off to enter the ride vehicle, but then we'd have to leave the boot in the chair - hope no one would take it.
WDW used to have a FAQs page on their disability information that addressed full leg casts; that page is no longer there, but it basically listed rides that had more room for the cast, rather than any restrictions.
WDW lists the rides that are more "wild" and then it's up to you (along with his doctor's advice) whether or not to ride. An arm cast would probably be more of a problem than something on the leg (because the cast may interfere with the person's ability to grab and hold on; also it could hit other people if the person's arms fly).
It would probably be better to have the boot on to provide support while he's getting on and off and to prevent his foot/ankle from hitting the ride car as he's riding.
5) Should I request a letter from one of his Dr's to obtain a GAC or will it be self-evident to the CM's?
You don't need a letter from the doctor to get a GAC (if you haven't seen it, there is information about the GAC in the disABILITIES FAQs thread). In general, people with wheeelchairs don't need a GAC, unless they have other needs that are not evident to the CMs. Most lines/attractions are wheelchair accessible. The CMs should see that he has a boot and that you have a transport chair, not a stroller, and direct you toward the accessible spot if wheelchair users don't board at the regular spot. If the transport chair is small and might get mistaken for a stroller (or your son is very young, so they might just assume it's a stroller), you may need a GAC (just in case the CMs don't recognize it's a wheelchair).

My main question(s) revolve around what we do with the chair when we arrive @ an attraction. I assume we can push him up to where you actually board the ride...but what happens to the chair? At some locations, you get off @ a different place than where you board. Will the CM let you leave it there & retreive it afterwards?
The disABILITIES FAQs thread has a link to a thread about rides with moving walkways and a link to the official Disney Guidebooks for Guests with Disabilities.
You can push a wheelchair up to the boarding area - if he can walk 20 feet, they might have you park it 20 feet away. If he needs it closer, the chair can be brought right up to where you board (like my DD can't walk; we bring her wheelchair right up to the ride car).
The way they usually handle the locations where you enter in one place and exit in another is to have people with wheelchairs board at the exit. Usually, you wait in the regular line until you get quite close to the regular boarding area. At that point, there is usually either a gate/chained area with a wheelchair symbol or there is a CM there who will direct you to the correct place for boarding.
For attractions where boarding is on one side of a track and the exit is on the other, it is either set up to have wheelchair users board on the exit side (an example would be Small World) or a CM moves your chair to the exit while you are riding (examples: Barnstormer, Test Track, Maelstrom in Norway). On some attractions (like Pirates) you get out of the wheelchair and your wheelchair is lifted by the CM into the ride car with you.
If we park the chair in the stroller area outside an attraction (ex. Peter Pan); do I have to worry about theft?
Park rental wheelchairs and strollers are the most often taken. It may be because they all look alike and people don't look carefully enough when they come out. It may be because people figure if they take one, the original user can use their receipt to go get another. Personal wheelchairs are usually left alone (at least in my experience and reading).
one thing to be aware of - if you do leave it with the strollers, the CMs may move it to keep the area tidy, so it may not be in exactly the same place as you left it.

You're welcome. Even if it's been asked before, sometimes it's good to have questions come up again.

One other thing I thought of. Primeval Whirl at AK is a ride that looks fairly tame from the ground, but can really toss you around (I don't know from personal experience, since I can't do "spin-y" rides). But, both my DDs rode with their dad. By the end of the ride, youngest DD has almost slid under the restraint. Older DD said that being able to use your legs to brace yourself during the ride seemed to be important in staying in place. Her legs were tired after riding. Younger DD probably had a hard time staying up because she is not able to use her legs for bracing.

Good Questions!!! We are leaving in 9 days and my brother just injured his foot/ankle practicing football(poor kid, his highschool team made it to the states for the first time ever in school history and now he can't play)!! Anyway the doctors said it wasnt broken but it was way to swollen to see if it's fractured or worse! This whole thread actually answered all my questions that I had because we have never had to deal with this in Disney yet!! He will be glad to know that he will probabaly be allowed on most of the fast rides, like Rockin Rollar Coaster, since thats what he enjoys in disney! Hopefully when he goes to the doctor on monday he will be able to get one of those walking boots and it will make things a lil easier!! Anyway thanks for the good answer!!!

Kristin

KTink14 said:
Hopefully when he goes to the doctor on monday he will be able to get one of those walking boots and it will make things a lil easier!! Anyway thanks for the good answer!!!

Kristin
If it was too swollen before to see if it was broken, he may not be able to walk on it at all. Tell him to ask the doctor about the fast/turbulent rides. Depending on what damage he did to his leg, those may or may not be OK according to the doctor.

Thanks!! Yeh, he'll be asking what he can do..we r hoping the swelling will go down, he hurt his foot on tuesday and will see the orthopedic monday, so by then we should know what we r dealing with!!! Thanks again for the tip!

About the parking - they WILL let you use the medical parking if you're taking a chair even if you don't have the permit. I just got back today, and my fil was allowed to park in medical when transporting my ds and his chair even though he didn't have the permit. Other times when we've had to rent an ECV but before we got the permit, They let us park disabled and never issued a ticket. It's possible to get ticketed, but it's not likely. I've been in that situation on several trips. I've never seen security trolling the disabled parking lot looking for offenders.

Yes but if someone were to complain if all the spots were taken and they noticed some parked there without permits then they might.

There are also different types of spots in the "Medical Parking" lot. Some have handicapped signs or blue paint markings (either a wheelchair syumbol or just blue lines). Those are designated handicapped parking spots and you could get ticketed by parking there without a handicapped permit. There are also some unmarked spots in most lots. Those are the farther out ones and probably won't get you a ticket.

I have occasionally seen the local police (not WDW security) in the handicapped parking lots. One year when we forgot our DD's handicapped parking permit, the CMs did let us park there (wee had a non-folding wheelchair, so couldn't use the regualr lot). We left a note on our van, and did not get ticketed, but the CMs did warn us that was a possibility.

Troy, when you say your brother's tag do you mean a tag issued in Billy's name or to a different brother? If it is for Billy, and he is with you, then it is legal.

Cheshire Figment said:
Troy, when you say your brother's tag do you mean a tag issued in Billy's name or to a different brother? If it is for Billy, and he is with you, then it is legal.
::yes::
Agree with Cheshire Figment.
If it is Billy's permit and he is with you, then you are using it for his benefit and that is perfectly legal.

If it is another brother's permit, then the permit can also be confiscated besides the fines.

Yes it is Billy's permit I was talking about. I was not sure how these things move from state to state. That is why I was looking in the first place.

Troy

Troy3357 said:
Yes it is Billy's permit I was talking about. I was not sure how these things move from state to state. That is why I was looking in the first place.

Troy
One issued in any state will be valid in Florida.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter