Transportation to/from Resort

MamaBear58

DIS Veteran
Other than renting a car, what are my options? We are a family of 4 that had an awful experience with an SUV that we rented in Port Canaveral. It simply didn't hold the luggage that the company advertised that it did. We had to switch onsite, it took time, just nonsense. Given we will be in Hawaii for at least 2 weeks, to avoid this again I'd need to rent a super large EXPENSIVE SUV just to get us between Honolulu or Waikiki and the resort, plus pay the daily parking rate (I have no idea how to rent DVC points :), wish I understood that), when we may not even use the car all days.

Are there reasonable options for transportation from a cruise ship port or hotel? Then just arrange to rent a much smaller car on the day(s) we want them? I'm thinking we'll be at Aulani 4 nights, 5 max.

Thanks.

Taxi's are plentiful. Also Uber/Lyft function well on the island.

Daily parking seems to be very expensive on Oahu. Waikiki hotels seem to charge $20-$30 a day for parking. Sometimes "Free self-parking" is included in daily resort fee of $30 or more.

I plan to take local bus to Waikiki hotel and taxi back to airport.

-Paul

Has anyone used "The Bus" to get from HLN Airport to Waikiki area? What was the experience like? How long did it take?

Is there a tourist desk in the HLN airport to direct me to the right bus to Waikiki?

-Paul

Has anyone used "The Bus" to get from HLN Airport to Waikiki area? What was the experience like? How long did it take?

Be aware that you can't take large luggage on The Bus at any point. Carry-on sized bags and medium duffles are fine, but anything bigger than that is not allowed.

On the Charlie Taxi website the quote a flat rate of $55 to Aulani. You'd probably add a $10 tip to that amount.

Charlie's may use the word "Taxi" in their name, but what they are providing is car service. I was talking about metered taxis.

Be aware that you can't take large luggage on The Bus at any point. Carry-on sized bags and medium duffles are fine, but anything bigger than that is not allowed.

I don't need many clothes for Hawaii. I plan to travel with just a carry-on. It make travel so much easier!

-Paul

I believe The Bus doesn't go directly to Aulani Resort. From what I heard, the stop is about 1-2 miles away. I also heard Uber doesn't service the Ko Olina area due to it being so remote. If you're trying to get from the cruise port to Aulani, you could take a taxi to HNL and then book the Hele Hele shuttle that services only Aulani. I think they take day of arrival reservations but you have to call them. Are you trying to get from the cruise terminal to Aulani or to other resorts on the island? (btw the parking fee at Aulani is $37/night if you plan to rent a car)

Can anyone recommend a shared van service to/from airport to Wiakiki area? Is the price worth the convenience of the public bus? Maybe take The Bus to the hotel, then shared van back to airport when time is more criticial.

-Paul

I'm not sure if @MamaBear58 still needs this info, but...

If you're coming from the cruise port, there is an Enterprise within walking distance outside the gates. One of you could walk over and go back and get the others. There are also plenty of large SUV and minivan taxis waiting. (I'd tell you to just call the location, but you can't get a direct line, and their regional call dispatch is horrendous. But we had amazing customer service from every Enterprise location we used--they were so nice!!)

We went for two weeks and I do NOT travel light. The four of us and our mountain of luggage would only fit in a Tahoe, which was too expensive (except in Hilo, for some reason), so we ended up with a *****in' minivan LOL. We had to do the same thing in Alaska, so it was not a surprise. But on the days our luggage was on the ship, we rented Jeeps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts