Travel Changes?

I just saw this morning that the US has stopped issuing passports unless it's a life-or-death emergency. I'm assuming "I couldn't get a passport" still won't fly with ABD to get a refund on a deposit or PIF?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/passports/passport-covid-19.html
If this isn't a huge red flag to companies signaling they shouldn't be planning international travel for the next 3 - 4 months, I don't know what is.

I just saw this morning that the US has stopped issuing passports unless it's a life-or-death emergency. I'm assuming "I couldn't get a passport" still won't fly with ABD to get a refund on a deposit or PIF?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/passports/passport-covid-19.html
If this isn't a huge red flag to companies signaling they shouldn't be planning international travel for the next 3 - 4 months, I don't know what is.
I doubt it would be accepted as a refund reason. They don't offer refunds for the China trip if you're unable to get a Visa.

I'm not sure how much of a red flag this is. The issue is they are actually closing offices and reducing active staff for social distancing. They aren't stopping issuing passports to keep people from traveling internationally.

Sayhello

Last edited:
We haven’t cancelled yet. I am waiting to see if ABD cancels first and to see if they offer any accommodations. We PIF in February and I hate to lose all that money. We could really use the cash now as I will most likely be furloughed soon. We may be forced to just take the 75% and lose a few thousand.
sorry about your wedding being postponed. That must be disappointing for you. I have friends that got married at the courthouse and are just postponing their ceremony and reception. Have you cancelled your trip too?

I'm waiting for them to cancel...we didn't get the insurance so I may loose everything if they don't (and paid in CAD...so it cost about 3K more than in US...). I can't fathom loosing that much money on top of needing to push my wedding out a year. I'm emotional to say the least!

I doubt it would be accepted as a refund reason. They don't offer refunds for the China trip if you're unable to get a Visa.

I'm not sure how much of a red flag this is. The issue is they are actually closing offices and reducing active staff for social distancing. They aren't stopping issuing passports to keep people from traveling internationally.

Sayhello

I must be misunderstanding this. It sounds like they are only issuing new passports for life-and-death emergencies:

Change in Passport Services Operations

Due to public health measures to limit the spread of COVID-19, effective March 20, 2020, we are only able to offer service for customers with a qualified life-or-death emergency and who need a passport for immediate international travel within 72 hours.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (e.g. parent, child, spouse, sibling, aunt, uncle, etc) that require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 days). You must provide:

• A passport application with supporting documents
  • Proof of the life-or-death emergency such as a death certificate, a statement from a mortuary, or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional. Documents must be translated or in English.
  • Proof of international travel (e.g. reservation, ticket, itinerary)
To make an appointment at a passport agency or center for a life-or-death emergency, you must call our National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (1-888-874-7793 TDD/TTY) on Monday- Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm Eastern Time, except federal holidays or on Saturdays, 10:00 am to 3:00 pm Eastern Time. Call 202-647-4000 outside of these hours to make an appointment.

If you applied and requested expedited service on or before March 19, 2020, we will honor our commitment of 2-3 weeks door-to-door for expedited service. If you applied in-person at a passport agency or center on or before March 19, 2020, the passport agency or center will contact you and ask if you want to pick-up your passport in person or have it mailed to you.

I must be misunderstanding this. It sounds like they are only issuing new passports for life-and-death emergencies:

Due to public health measures to limit the spread of COVID-19, effective March 20, 2020, we are only able to offer service for customers with a qualified life-or-death emergency and who need a passport for immediate international travel within 72 hours.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (e.g. parent, child, spouse, sibling, aunt, uncle, etc) that require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 days). You must provide:

• A passport application with supporting documents
  • Proof of the life-or-death emergency such as a death certificate, a statement from a mortuary, or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional. Documents must be translated or in English.
  • Proof of international travel (e.g. reservation, ticket, itinerary)
To make an appointment at a passport agency or center for a life-or-death emergency, you must call our National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (1-888-874-7793 TDD/TTY) on Monday- Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm Eastern Time, except federal holidays or on Saturdays, 10:00 am to 3:00 pm Eastern Time. Call 202-647-4000 outside of these hours to make an appointment.

If you applied and requested expedited service on or before March 19, 2020, we will honor our commitment of 2-3 weeks door-to-door for expedited service. If you applied in-person at a passport agency or center on or before March 19, 2020, the passport agency or center will contact you and ask if you want to pick-up your passport in person or have it mailed to you.
That's not how I interpreted that. Because of the limited number of people working in their offices, they are only processing applications for emergencies. They apparently concluded since people aren't supposed to be traveling internationally anyways, that the passport office was not an essential business except for emergencies. The bolding in italics below is mine

Due to public health measures to limit the spread of COVID-19,
effective March 20, 2020, we are only able to offer service for customers with a qualified life-or-death emergency and who need a passport for immediate international travel within 72 hours.

Customers in Puerto Rico should be aware that our San Juan Passport Agency is closed to the public until at least April 12, 2020.

Due to public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, many passport application acceptance facilities, which include libraries, clerks of court, and post offices are not accepting U.S. passport applications at this time. As of March 25, 2020, post offices which are still accepting applications are requiring customers to make an online appointment to apply in person for a U.S. passport. If you need to apply in person for your U.S. passport, please contact the facility directly to confirm the status of its operations.

If you are applying for or renewing a U.S. passport on or after March 20, 2020, we will not offer expedited service and routine service may be delayed.

The status of our operations may change quickly. We will update this notice as the status changes.

Sayhello

That's not how I interpreted that. Because of the limited number of people working in their offices, they are only processing applications for emergencies. They apparently concluded since people aren't supposed to be traveling internationally anyways, that the passport office was not an essential business except for emergencies. The bolding in italics below is mine

Sayhello

I think you and I are interpreting it the same way? Due to the outbreak, they are only processing applications for emergencies. Someone simply wanting a new passport cannot get one right now.

We applied for renewal of my son's passport on 3/16 right before this was issued. It's stressing us out to say the least that things have been delayed (we did not do expedited because our trip is 6/30). We have called to follow up several times and have been told things are proceeding with the renewal but it may be longer than 8 weeks because they are so short staffed. As far as I can tell, the staffing problem is the real issue.

Another reason to love DELTA!!
------
Coronavirus Travel Updates
We’ve listened, and we know that you want the value of your ticket to be secure and redeemable for a longer period. We’re now extending the ability to plan, re-book and travel with us for up to two years.
Tickets normally expire one year after purchase, but we’re providing waived change fees and greater flexibility to travel through May 31, 2022, for customers who:
  • have upcoming travel already booked in April or May 2020 as of April 3, 2020
  • have existing eCredits or canceled travel from flights in March, April or May 2020
Rest assured your eCredits are safe even as we work to process updates
All applicable eCredits will be automatically extended to May 2022 so there’s no action needed on your part. We are actively working on a solution to display the new expiration dates in all the places you can find your eCredits on delta.com. So even if your eCredit for canceled travel has not yet been processed or extended, or is temporarily displaying incorrectly, there is no need to call. Rest assured your flight value is secure through May 2022 and will be ready to redeem online when you need it.
Tickets purchased between March 1 and May 31, 2020, can be changed without a change fee for up to a year from the date you purchased it.

The last line or so on that page states that routine processing should be expected to be delayed. It doesn't say stopped.

Agree, it's most likely due to short staffing, so what staff are left will be doing emergencies only.

Got it. Yes, just out of curiosity, I went on the USPS website to see if there were any post offices within 100 miles of me still taking appointments for passport applications - none. I guess they are saving resources for emergencies only.

------
We’ve listened, and we know that you want the value of your ticket to be secure and redeemable for a longer period. We’re now extending the ability to plan, re-book and travel with us for up to two years.
Tickets normally expire one year after purchase, but we’re providing waived change fees and greater flexibility to travel through May 31, 2022, for customers who:
  • have existing eCredits or canceled travel from flights in March, April or May 2020
All applicable eCredits will be automatically extended to May 2022 so there’s no action needed on your part. We are actively working on a solution to display the new expiration dates in all the places you can find your eCredits on delta.com. So even if your eCredit for canceled travel has not yet been processed or extended, or is temporarily displaying incorrectly, there is no need to call. Rest assured your flight value is secure through May 2022 and will be ready to redeem online when you need it.
Tickets purchased between March 1 and May 31, 2020, can be changed without a change fee for up to a year from the date you purchased it.

Wow. This applies to us with flight credits initially set to expire in December 2020. This is amazing news - thank you!

------
Oh, wow! Thanks! If my flights aren't cancelled outright, at least my credit will last long enough that I can actually use it!

The other good thing I found in this article is where to actually find my credits listed online. I cancelled a trip to NYC just as this was all starting here, and they took $200 out of my $294 fare as a change fee, and said I'd get the $94 as a credit. (I cancelled partially because I wasn't feeling well - ended up being bronchitis - and just didn't want to get on a plane and possibly get quarantined at JFK or heaven knows what). I just looked, and I have a full $294 credit in my wallet. Cool!

Sayhello

I have the same discussion with my DH, who is all for just letting everyone die that's going to die. As a physician, I disagree. Not only because I'm in the job to keep people healthy and alive, but because there will be wider ramifications. Because it won't just be coronavirus victims. It will also be almost anyone else that needed timely emergency care (heart attacks, strokes, trauma), ICU beds (the list is too long to begin), and even those who just need supportive care and may not get it because resources are limited. Those medical care workers who are overworked and under supplied will, guaranteed, also get sick, and some will die. It takes almost a decade to train up new doctors and get them at least enough experience to be really good. Nurses, slightly less time. I've heard stats anywhere from 14-19% fatality for age 70 and older. That is a HUGE chunk of the population that would disappear, assuming that most older people will eventually be exposed to the virus. We could have 10's of millions of younger adults that survive, but with pulmonary fibrosis, needing medical care and possibly unable to work. What will that do to our economy?

So we have a huge recession/depression. But our health care system survives more or less intact and our population is overall healthier with less long term problems. And we've had time to develop a vaccine or treatment that controls the virus.

There are no good choices here. Just less awful ones.

i'm a bit entertained reading this thread. I haven't been here since March 21. So much has changed.
It boggles the mind how quickly things have changed.
Everything you warned about has come to pass - certainly in New York, and from what i hear from doctors in Michigan, there as well.

Kevin from Dreams just tweeted that all May ABDs have been cancelled.

At first when i read that ABD had cancelled for May, i thought to myself, "hmm, perhaps ABD finally woke up"...
but then i remembered that for the most part there are no flights anywhere in the world and that situation is going to continue for some time to come.
No planes, no ABD. So they didn't cancel because of covid 19, they cancelled because of the impossibility of getting wherever it is they need to get to.

So what are you guys doing about deposits you have for ABD's several months from now?
We have the Christmas market Danube cruise on hold for this December. I'm almost certain we aren't going on that because I don't feel comfortable going to Europe this year. Period. Even if things get better by then which I hope to god they do.
We are planning on moving the deposit to something in 2021 when new schedules come out in May. On that note, I wonder if anything new in May will come out to begin with.

And now you understand why i said i was going to cancel our ABD tour and DCL cruise in October in California.
I understood then that for the two of us to travel internationally in October would be irresponsible (i live on the european side of the atlantic).

You're younger than i, so perhaps it will be safe for you to come up for air by then.
But, i'm guessing DH and I are housebound until a vaccine comes online.

They're talking here about a soft restart.
Meaning, those in their 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s will return to work, while leaving the schools closed for the rest of the school year and most importantly, continuing to completely isolate those aged 60 and up. Total isolation. Absolutely no contact with anyone over the age of 60 (unless they are in a vital industry, e.g. doctors/nurse/etc.)

I find it hard to believe that there will be a vaccine before 2021, though i find it even harder to believe i'll be quarantined until then.
But it seems that will probably be the case.
Once they let me out, i'm never letting go of my grandkids again.
Zoom is all well and good, but it's just not the same thing as reading cat in the hat with the cuddly kidlet on your lap.

So, I was just scrolling through Instagram, and I saw that all of the Alaska Railroad operations have been suspended until July. The Denali Star was a huge part of our trip, and it will not start running until at least July 1.

I’ve expected our trip will be cancelled, but seeing this announcement still hit me. Traveling with my son is such a big deal for us, and early summer is the only time we can go. He’s finishing up his freshman year in high school, and I am well-aware of the finite amount of time I have left with him at home.

We are reliving past vacations through Instagram to help take some of the sting away. We’ve made some amazing memories - the ones for this year will just be different.

I'm sorry I was right. This is almost the perfect storm of infectious disease characteristics, though, and pretty much every physician I know saw this coming and was sounding the alarm to anyone that would listen.

i'm not a medical doctor, though i was in medical research ("a book doctor" as my kids love to tease).
But you don't have to be a doctor, rocket scientist or anything else to have seen this coming from far more than a mile away.
Where i live (Israel), we did take more precautions than the US, but not nearly enough as is clear from our numbers.
We took half measures, which for something as infectious as covid 19, was almost as bad as taking no measures at all.

We'll eventually come out of this, somewhat the worse for wear, and hopefully with the incentive to get ready for the next disease X that may come along.

For now, happy holidays to all, whatever your particular flavor.
Here's hoping next year will be better than this one.

I was on the Quark website yesterday and they indicate that the May, 2020 trips are still going :scared: .

Then this morning I received the below e-mail. I am not sure who is making the incredibly terrible decisions at Quark, but I am shocked that they even have a glimmer of hope that their summer, 2020 cruises will go as scheduled.

Dear xxx,

Thank you for choosing Quark Expeditions; we know you are getting excited for your upcoming voyage!

We are happy to provide you with the attached Polar Reader, which will help you with your final preparations for this trip of a lifetime. Hard copies of the reader, as well as a map of the Polar Regions, will be available on board your ship should you like one.

We look forward to welcoming you on this exciting adventure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!