Travel Changes?

If you have an upcoming trip booked on American, especially Europe this summer, you should check your connections. They have been canceling and changing international routes and if your flight is affected, you can cancel it for a refund. If you're brave, you can rebook with the new flexible policy. If the rate is lower or the same it would make sense to rebook anyway to get the flexible change policy, if not and the fare is higher and you want to keep your flight, you might be able to ask for a better connection or upgrades. Or better yet, if you have an ABD, use the ABD to rebook your air to get a refundable airfare if they cancel your trip and not be stuck with a credit. Hope this helps someone, my friend and I were able to cancel both of our airfares on American.

Our Egypt ABD is set to depart Sept 15, so we’re just outside of the delayed PIF policy. We’d already booked airfare in mid Feb. Frustrating, wish we could just do a date change to next year but no departures for 2021 have openings.

Oh well. Hoping to see some change in policy by May 18 (our PIF deadline).

I was just on the ABD site to search for possible trips to transfer our deposits and came across this - it looks like it was just posted today:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Adventures by Disney has been closely monitoring the latest information regarding Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and is in constant contact with local, state, national and international health agencies for information and guidance.

With the well-being of our Guests and team members as our top priority, Adventures by Disney has decided to cancel most trips through the end of May 2020. Additionally, the trip departures to China and the 7-Night Alaska Cruise Packages will be cancelled through the end of June 2020. We continue to evaluate the Barcelona Escape (departing May 23, 2020), the 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise Package with Villefranche (departing May 23, 2020) and the 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise Package with Toulon (departing May 30, 2020).

I was just on the ABD site to search for possible trips to transfer our deposits and came across this - it looks like it was just posted today:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Adventures by Disney has been closely monitoring the latest information regarding Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and is in constant contact with local, state, national and international health agencies for information and guidance.

With the well-being of our Guests and team members as our top priority, Adventures by Disney has decided to cancel most trips through the end of May 2020. Additionally, the trip departures to China and the 7-Night Alaska Cruise Packages will be cancelled through the end of June 2020. We continue to evaluate the Barcelona Escape (departing May 23, 2020), the 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise Package with Villefranche (departing May 23, 2020) and the 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise Package with Toulon (departing May 30, 2020).
still doesn’t include June trips to Italy :(

Ama Waterways cancelled their June cruises this morning. ABD river cruises are probably not far behind. What do you think their cancellation options will be?
When they cancelled my May Rhone river cruise (also because AmaWaterways cancelled all their April/May cruises) I was offered to move my money to another cruise departure, move it to a completely different itinerary or get a full refund. I opted for the full refund.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

That's actually been out there for at least a week. I can't believe they haven't canceled the Barcelona & Med cruises yet. Sheesh!
If you have an upcoming trip booked on American, especially Europe this summer, you should check your connections. They have been canceling and changing international routes and if your flight is affected, you can cancel it for a refund. If you're brave, you can rebook with the new flexible policy. If the rate is lower or the same it would make sense to rebook anyway to get the flexible change policy, if not and the fare is higher and you want to keep your flight, you might be able to ask for a better connection or upgrades. Or better yet, if you have an ABD, use the ABD to rebook your air to get a refundable airfare if they cancel your trip and not be stuck with a credit. Hope this helps someone, my friend and I were able to cancel both of our airfares on American.
Now if Delta would just do this for May...

Sayhello

When they cancelled my May Rhone river cruise (also because AmaWaterways cancelled all their April/May cruises) I was offered to move my money to another cruise departure, move it to a completely different itinerary or get a full refund. I opted for the full refund.
That's actually been out there for at least a week. I can't believe they haven't canceled the Barcelona & Med cruises yet. Sheesh!
Now if Delta would just do this for May...

Sayhello

We are on the Rhine in early August. With the Ama cancellations now going in to June I am really hoping we know more about what will happen with the rest of the summer sailings before our PIF in early May. I have to say, I'm glad ABD has to follow Ama's lead on this because Ama seems to be way ahead of the game on cancellations.

We are on the Rhine in early August. With the Ama cancellations now going in to June I am really hoping we know more about what will happen with the rest of the summer sailings before our PIF in early May. I have to say, I'm glad ABD has to follow Ama's lead on this because Ama seems to be way ahead of the game on cancellations.
It was a bit of a relief when I read that AmaWaterways had cancelled through May, because I knew ABD would have to cancel at that point, and they'd been silent about it up until then. They cancelled the next day.

Sayhello

It was a bit of a relief when I read that AmaWaterways had cancelled through May, because I knew ABD would have to cancel at that point, and they'd been silent about it up until then. They cancelled the next day.

Sayhello
I am not sure how their contracts works, but I wonder if ABD waits to cancel after AmaWaterways cancels so that ABD isn't out of money and is able to give customers full refunds? Similar to when we want to cancel our flights or ABD but wait until after they cancel for us to receive a full refund.

I am not sure how their contracts works, but I wonder if ABD waits to cancel after AmaWaterways cancels so that ABD isn't out of money and is able to give customers full refunds? Similar to when we want to cancel our flights or ABD but wait until after they cancel for us to receive a full refund.
That's an interesting supposition. It never occurred to me. And honestly, makes a lot of sense. It's still putting their bottom line before our welfare, but it does make sense.

Sayhello

This is a logical guess, but doesn't explain how the land ABDs are being dealt with.

That's an interesting supposition. It never occurred to me. And honestly, makes a lot of sense. It's still putting their bottom line before our welfare, but it does make sense.

Sayhello

I suspect there is a lot of haggling like this going on behind the scenes. ABD is totally different from the theme parks and DCL because they contract out everything that ABD provides except for the guides. So, they need to get refunded from hotels, tour providers, restaurants, and other vendors before they can give us our money back. And I would imagine that most of these hotels and vendors want to give ABD a "credit" for future services just like ABD would prefer to give their customers a credit (rather than a refund). This is why I don't really have an issue with them trying to put off cancellations and refunds as long as possible, especially for travel beyond our existing window of stay at home restrictions.

And, let's be honest, I was prepared to pay $14k to Nat Geo for our June Alaska trip. Do I like the fact that they still have my money for a trip that I really don't think is going to happen? No. But, I'd already budgeted to spend that money. There really is no difference in getting a refund now or a month from now. If not having the money is a now hardship, then that's on me and not Nat Geo.

Now, for PIF dates in the next couple of months, I think all the companies should be very lenient with their policies and refunds, if only because so many people are facing layoffs and furloughs. But, even then, that's what trip insurance is for. We are just hoping for an exception because basically the entire world is affected by this right now.

Just like we would prefer that ABD cancel a trip for us, ABD (and all the other travel companies, including the airlines) are hoping WE cancel first so that they can apply a different standard of T&C for refunds.

It's like we are all playing a big ole game of chicken.

I suspect there is a lot of haggling like this going on behind the scenes. ABD is totally different from the theme parks and DCL because they contract out everything that ABD provides except for the guides. So, they need to get refunded from hotels, tour providers, restaurants, and other vendors before they can give us our money back. And I would imagine that most of these hotels and vendors want to give ABD a "credit" for future services just like ABD would prefer to give their customers a credit (rather than a refund). This is why I don't really have an issue with them trying to put off cancellations and refunds as long as possible, especially for travel beyond our existing window of stay at home restrictions.

And, let's be honest, I was prepared to pay $14k to Nat Geo for our June Alaska trip. Do I like the fact that they still have my money for a trip that I really don't think is going to happen? No. But, I'd already budgeted to spend that money. There really is no difference in getting a refund now or a month from now. If not having the money is a now hardship, then that's on me and not Nat Geo.

Now, for PIF dates in the next couple of months, I think all the companies should be very lenient with their policies and refunds, if only because so many people are facing layoffs and furloughs. But, even then, that's what trip insurance is for. We are just hoping for an exception because basically the entire world is affected by this right now.

Just like we would prefer that ABD cancel a trip for us, ABD (and all the other travel companies, including the airlines) are hoping WE cancel first so that they can apply a different standard of T&C for refunds.

This is all very accurate. And I don't think people would care so much if it wasn't a matter of ABD potentially putting people at risk with this game of chicken. The March 13th ABD to London/France and Australia that were canceled once people got to their destinations was inexcusable and those cancellations didn't happen because money came first. And yes, people could've canceled anyway, but a company should not force people to chose between health and losing thousands of dollars. Plus, people trust the Disney brand to look out for their wellbeing, and a lot of people not cancel thinking Disney wouldn't put them ask risk...only to be seriously put at risk.

Safety's the original reason I chose them as a company; I thought, "I'll be safe with Disney." I don't think that anymore.

This is all very accurate. And I don't think people would care so much if it wasn't a matter of ABD potentially putting people at risk with this game of chicken. The March 13th ABD to London/France and Australia that were canceled once people got to their destinations was inexcusable and those cancellations didn't happen because money came first. And yes, people could've canceled anyway, but a company should not force people to chose between health and losing thousands of dollars. Plus, people trust the Disney brand to look out for their wellbeing, and a lot of people not cancel thinking Disney wouldn't put them ask risk...only to be seriously put at risk.

Safety's the original reason I chose them as a company; I thought, "I'll be safe with Disney." I don't think that anymore.

I agree they waited too long to cancel those trips. But, that was when the SHTF, and while they handled it terribly, I can only hope it will be a learning experience for them going forward. And certainly, the people affected by those bad decisions should be generously compensated - but that's between them and Disney, and we may never know the details.

I am fine with them waiting to address June and July trips at a future date, though. While Tauck's offer of a full refund for all trips scheduled through July 31 is wonderful and the "gold standard" for customer service, I certainly don't expect all companies to follow.

As far as "never" traveling with ABD again - I was in this camp a few weeks ago. But, let's face it - if ABD has the itinerary and dates that we ~really~ like, most of us would probably take our chances and book with them again. Because what are the odds of another pandemic or crisis on the scale of this one happening again in the next few years (or even next 50-100 years)? As a collective society, we do not generally plan our lives around "worst case scenario".

Because what are the odds of another pandemic or crisis on the scale of this one happening again in the next few years (or even next 50-100 years)?

Those odds are higher than they should be, really. And higher than I'd like. But I agree, no use planning for another worst case scenario yet.

And I'm never gonna say I'd never travel with ABD again. Their guides in particular are the best. But let's put it this way: if the ABD Itinerary is similar to Tauck's, I would probably have chosen ABD before this. Not anymore.

Those odds are higher than they should be, really. And higher than I'd like. But I agree, no use planning for another worst case scenario yet.

And I'm never gonna say I'd never travel with ABD again. Their guides in particular are the best. But let's put it this way: if the ABD Itinerary is similar to Tauck's, I would probably have chosen ABD before this. Not anymore.

Let me rephrase - once we have a vaccine, what are the odds of a pandemic like this happening again in our lifetimes? Until we have a vaccine, we are at risk for continued outbreaks. But this type of scenario at this scale is, statistically anyway, one of those "once in a lifetime" occurrences. It's much more likely there would be an outbreak that only affected one region of the world but not the entire globe.

ABD shouldn't be given too much credit for the fact that they work with vendors. Every other tour company does, too. And most other tour companies don't have Disney Corp. backing them up. Also, we all must realize about 40-50% of the cost of ABD trips is pure profit. I think if you break down the cost of the trips you're going to come close to that number (which I just made up, but I think I'm right)

Their major flaw during this crisis was lack of proper communication. If they had told us that the reason they're holding out on cancelling is because they work with vendors, and its complicated, a lot of us would have understood.

Also, I'm hearing that they're telling customers it will take 30-60-90 days to potentially get refund money back. Absolutely unacceptable during this financially distressing time for many families who've lost jobs and would love to have that trip money in their accounts right now.

Their major flaw during this crisis was lack of proper communication. If they had told us that the reason they're holding out on cancelling is because they work with vendors, and its complicated, a lot of us would have understood.
This!!! Instead they were acting like everything is normal, and the trip is definitely going, rather than indicating the true status that they were working on it, and it just hadn't been cancelled *yet*.

Sayhello

ABD shouldn't be given too much credit for the fact that they work with vendors. Every other tour company does, too. And most other tour companies don't have Disney Corp. backing them up. Also, we all must realize about 40-50% of the cost of ABD trips is pure profit. I think if you break down the cost of the trips you're going to come close to that number (which I just made up, but I think I'm right)

Also, I'm hearing that they're telling customers it will take 30-60-90 days to potentially get refund money back. Absolutely unacceptable during this financially distressing time for many families who've lost jobs and would love to have that trip money in their accounts right now.

Isn't pretty much every other major company, other than Tauck, handling this about the same as ABD? I know Nat Geo is. And even Tauck is only giving CREDITS on trips scheduled for May 16-July 31 that GUESTS cancel. And as much as we want to believe that the rest of the Walt Disney Company can back ABD up, that's just now how divisions of big companies work.

While I agree communication is important (and was not handled properly on those March trips to England/France and Australia), ABD and any other company shouldn't be expected to make public statements or posts on their website. Communication should be between the company and each individual guest. As I said before, ~hopefully~, they are learning from their mistakes, but just considering my own situation, I am not prepared to complain about Nat Geo not communicating properly about a trip that doesn't depart until June. They have plenty of other guests that they need to deal with, and I just have to wait it out until it's "my turn".

Sadly, the issue with refunds doesn't surprise me, either. The airlines are pulling all sort of shady stuff with that right now, too. United in particular changed their refund policy 4 times just in the first couple of weeks of March. Now they are trying to say that, if they cancel your international flight but can book you on another within 25 hours, they can keep your money for a YEAR before issuing a refund. On domestic travel, they only want to offer vouchers. A traveler has just sued them over it.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/police-officer-sues-united-airlines-ticket-refunds/story?id=70018998
But, again, if people now have financial hardship because of a 5 figure vacation expense, that's not entirely on ABD. The difference now is SO MANY people are affected that we are expecting different treatment. When you commit to spending that type of money, you have to run your budget as if the money is gone. There are plenty of O&G companies that are furloughing people right now not because of the pandemic but because the price of oil is ridiculously low. If a customer has any concern about losing their money because of some unforeseen crisis or financial hardship that's beyond their control, then that's what travel insurance is for.

With that said, if I had to wait 60-90 days for a refund on a cancelled trip, that would be reason enough for me to never do business with a company again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!