Travel Changes?

I'm an american (born in the USA), so yes, i can enter the US.
Actually, even if i weren't an American, i'd be able to enter the US as the country where i live (Israel) isn't on the forbidden list.

The current forbidden countries (according to the CDC- that's where the list is located) are the UK, Ireland, all the Schengen countries, Iran, China, Brazil
If you've been in any of the above during the past 14 days, you can't enter US if you're not an American.
I've linked the CDC page below.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

Thank you disneyholic for posting the up to date ( May 28th ) list.

Very good info for European people .

Thank you disneyholic for posting the up to date ( May 28th ) list.

Very good info for European people .

From the point of view of this thread, it's more important to know the travel restrictions on Americans.
kayak.com has a comprehensive list of travel restrictions by country where you can determine whether Americans are permitted to enter a country or not.
So for example, Americans cannot enter almost all European countries, which would definitely put a crimp on ABD tours to those destinations.
Americans can enter Ireland and the UK, but have to quarantine for 14 days. Also a problem for ABD.

Last edited:
I'm living on the edge and trying to go to Iceland in August. They open for tourists June 15. The government has said there will be some sort of testing protocol but has been fuzzy on any real details.

It's a tour with Classic Journeys, followed by a DIY week with a friend. Downside is PIF is June 10, but if Iceland shuts down again, the money is transferable for life (need to get that in writing.) I've been trying to make only fully cancelable and refundable plans.

I'm living on the edge and trying to go to Iceland in August. They open for tourists June 15. The government has said there will be some sort of testing protocol but has been fuzzy on any real details.

It's a tour with Classic Journeys, followed by a DIY week with a friend. Downside is PIF is June 10, but if Iceland shuts down again, the money is transferable for life (need to get that in writing.) I've been trying to make only fully cancelable and refundable plans.
My July Iceland ABD was cancelled, but I haven't canceled my airline tickets yet because I have a crazy idea that we might still go on our own, depending on how things are looking. Here's the info on arrivals: https://www.icelandair.com/blog/iceland-eases-travel-restrictions/

My July Iceland ABD was cancelled, but I haven't canceled my airline tickets yet because I have a crazy idea that we might still go on our own, depending on how things are looking. Here's the info on arrivals: https://www.icelandair.com/blog/iceland-eases-travel-restrictions/
It will be interesting to see how hard/easy it would be to get hotel reservations/car rentals/day tours on such short notice. Normally that would be a huge challenge, but in these times, who knows?

"Arrival from June 15

According to the Government decision announced on June 5, passengers arriving in Iceland from June 15 can choose one of the following options:
  • be tested for COVID-19
  • go into 14-day quarantine
The test is free of charge until July 1, and will cost 15,000 ISK from July 1. Children born 2005 or later will be exempt from the test."

That's currently $113.67 per person. I guess not the worst thing in the grand scheme of things.

Here's some more info about tourists in Iceland:

https://www.covid.is/sub-categories/tourists

Sayhello

Last edited:
Yup, I've been following all that on the TA forums. It has been VERY easy to find lodging, etc. In fact, there are several places I'd love to book but it's a 50% cancellation fee on those, and I'm just not sure if it's all going to work out or if Iceland will change rules/shut down again. I'm sticking with fully cancellable for now. Normally, it would be impossible to plan a trip this close to departure.

I'm also hesitant to book flights. IcelandAir has been canceling flights still. I may actually wait until beginning of July. Sooo unusual for me!

@sayhello This is my reply from a post in the Egypt thread that belongs here....

This new rule in Cambodia certainly impacts the SE Asia ABD. Wonder how ABD will proceed since I doubt they will shell out $3000 per adventurer!

Cambodia Entry Requirements

On June 10,
authorities announced a requirement that all foreign travelers entering Cambodia pay a deposit of $3,000 upon arrival at airports for mandatory COVID-19 testing and potential treatment services. On June 8, authorities released a fee schedule for these testing and treatment services. Travelers should be prepared to see this deposit applied to a minimum of $165 for mandatory COVID-19 testing, approximately $1,281 more to support quarantine in the event one or more passengers on their flight test positive, and a minimum of approximately $3,255 more for treatment and quarantine if the traveler tests positive. The Embassy recommends all travelers be prepared upon entry into Cambodia to pay for the full costs identified in the fee schedule.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50732611/foreigners-to-be-charged-for-c-19-quarantine-tests/

I want to add to my thoughts on Quark Expeditions. They are an unethical company that no traveler should ever consider booking with.

After COVID-19 they changed their terms and conditions to exclude pandemics and are trying to say that they retroactively apply to customers who booked prior to the change (they don't). They told me as recently as early April that they would refund my money if they cancelled our June 6th cruise (which is inline with their t&cs when I booked the cruise). However since they cancelled the cruise in late April they have refused to return any of my phone calls and e-mails requesting a refund. So I filed a dispute with AmEx to get my money back (I do not want a travel voucher for a future cruise). Late last week they sent AmEx a clause from Section 9, Itinerary, which applies to cruises already in progress, or that have travelers have gotten themselves to the port for, that need to be cancelled due to force majeure (a term which isn't included in the t&cs that I have). Obviously we never made our way to Oslo in June :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2.

I have had to send AmEx the proper clause that applies to the cancellation, Section 8, TRIP CANCELLATION BY QUARK EXPEDITIONS, PRIOR TO ITINERARY START DATE, Quark Expeditions begins planning our land and sea trips many months in advance of departure. Occasionally, we have to make changes both before and after bookings have been confirmed. Quark reserves the right to cancel or change any service prior to departure. For any affected passengers on any cancelled trip, Quark Expeditions will first offer affected passengers an alternate trip to re-book on. If the affected passenger is not able to participate in
the alternative trip, Quark Expeditions will refund to such passenger any payments made to Quark without further obligation on our part
Please note that in the event of cancellation, Quark Expeditions will not be responsible for the cost of any additional travel arrangements or any other items not purchased through Quark Expeditions.

I wanted to share with fellow travelers how slimy Quark is. They obviously know they owe me a full refund, but are trying every which way to get out of returning my money. We are talking about just shy of $13,000.00, so not a small sum of money. They have had many negative comments on their Facebook page as well as people who filed with the BBB (which I will also do so consumers can be aware of what kind of company they are); they are trying their best to refuse refunds even though it's written out in their terms and conditions. Avoid Quark Expeditions at all costs. I get that this situation has had a negative impact on their financials, but they are bound by the terms and conditions in effect when I booked my cruise on October 9th.

OK, besides the cost, this is the part I find most concerning!

approximately $1,281 more to support quarantine in the event one or more passengers on their flight test positive

It sure sounds like they are planning on quarantining the entire flight if anyone on the flight tests positive! And making *you* pay for it! :eek::eek::eek:

Sayhello
I was thinking the same thing!! I have no idea how ABD can proceed with this trip until this restriction is removed. It is a new way to travel post COVID.

I want to add to my thoughts on Quark Expeditions. They are an unethical company that no traveler should ever consider booking with.

After COVID-19 they changed their terms and conditions to exclude pandemics and are trying to say that they retroactively apply to customers who booked prior to the change (they don't). They told me as recently as early April that they would refund my money if they cancelled our June 6th cruise (which is inline with their t&cs when I booked the cruise). However since they cancelled the cruise in late April they have refused to return any of my phone calls and e-mails requesting a refund. So I filed a dispute with AmEx to get my money back (I do not want a travel voucher for a future cruise). Late last week they sent AmEx a clause from Section 9, Itinerary, which applies to cruises already in progress, or that have travelers have gotten themselves to the port for, that need to be cancelled due to force majeure (a term which isn't included in the t&cs that I have). Obviously we never made our way to Oslo in June :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2.

I have had to send AmEx the proper clause that applies to the cancellation, Section 8, TRIP CANCELLATION BY QUARK EXPEDITIONS, PRIOR TO ITINERARY START DATE, Quark Expeditions begins planning our land and sea trips many months in advance of departure. Occasionally, we have to make changes both before and after bookings have been confirmed. Quark reserves the right to cancel or change any service prior to departure. For any affected passengers on any cancelled trip, Quark Expeditions will first offer affected passengers an alternate trip to re-book on. If the affected passenger is not able to participate in
the alternative trip, Quark Expeditions will refund to such passenger any payments made to Quark without further obligation on our part
Please note that in the event of cancellation, Quark Expeditions will not be responsible for the cost of any additional travel arrangements or any other items not purchased through Quark Expeditions.

I wanted to share with fellow travelers how slimy Quark is. They obviously know they owe me a full refund, but are trying every which way to get out of returning my money. We are talking about just shy of $13,000.00, so not a small sum of money. They have had many negative comments on their Facebook page as well as people who filed with the BBB (which I will also do so consumers can be aware of what kind of company they are); they are trying their best to refuse refunds even though it's written out in their terms and conditions. Avoid Quark Expeditions at all costs. I get that this situation has had a negative impact on their financials, but they are bound by the terms and conditions in effect when I booked my cruise on October 9th.
Besides the bad comments with the BBB, I would post on TripAdvisor. A *LOT* of people use TripAdvisor to research trips, and you want to let folks there know what Quark has been up to, also.

Sayhello

That is horrible! I hope Amex comes through for you. Don’t forget social media too.

OK, besides the cost, this is the part I find most concerning!

approximately $1,281 more to support quarantine in the event one or more passengers on their flight test positive

It sure sounds like they are planning on quarantining the entire flight if anyone on the flight tests positive! And making *you* pay for it! :eek::eek::eek:

Sayhello

Part of me wonders if their goal with this is to discourage people from going there without outright banning entry.

From the point of view of this thread, it's more important to know the travel restrictions on Americans.
kayak.com has a comprehensive list of travel restrictions by country where you can determine whether Americans are permitted to enter a country or not.
So for example, Americans cannot enter almost all European countries, which would definitely put a crimp on ABD tours to those destinations.
Americans can enter Ireland and the UK, but have to quarantine for 14 days. Also a problem for ABD.

The Points Guy website has an updated list of all countries' restrictions as well.

Being from NJ, I am also restricted from entering some states like Vermont and Florida!

When i finally bite the bullet and cancel my October ABD, i understand that they'll put my $1300 deposit in a placeholder.
When do i have to use the placeholder?
And if for example i have to use it within 12 months, does that mean i have to book within 12 months or the tour has to take place within 12 months.
I'm hoping it's actually longer than 12 months, but i just used that as an example.

Thanks!

When i finally bite the bullet and cancel my October ABD, i understand that they'll put my $1300 deposit in a placeholder.
When do i have to use the placeholder?
And if for example i have to use it within 12 months, does that mean i have to book within 12 months or the tour has to take place within 12 months.
I'm hoping it's actually longer than 12 months, but i just used that as an example.

Thanks!
I don't know what the official rules are but when we put a trip on placeholder, we had 2 years from the date I originally booked my original adventure to "select" a new adventure. In other words, we only had to book a new trip before the 2 year mark of original booking date.

The official wording on our placeholder email was:
"Your reservation is successfully being held on a placeholder date. Please remember that you have not actually reserved a specific date, and you must select an Adventure date by XXXXX date in order to keep your reservation.

This reservation must be confirmed on a new Adventure on or before the Book By Date listed above or the reservation will automatically cancel."

The date provided was 2 years after my original booking date.

I don't know what the official rules are but when we put a trip on placeholder, we had 2 years from the date I originally booked my original adventure to "select" a new adventure. In other words, we only had to book a new trip before the 2 year mark of original booking date.

The official wording on our placeholder email was:
"This reservation must be confirmed on a new Adventure on or before the Book By Date listed above or the reservation will automatically cancel."

The date provided was 2 years after my booking date.

that's effectively only 1 year or possibly even less given that this was booked on opening day.
Figures they'd be difficult

that's effectively only 1 year or possibly even less given that this was booked on opening day.
Figures they'd be difficult

I wonder if you could negotiate an expiration date given the circumstances?

I feel your pain. I feel like I've been getting the shaft with cancellations with all my previous super early booking habits. Now I want to book last minute!

and one more question - are deposits transferable?
i think it's highly doubtful i'll ever do ABD.
Is ABD just going to be $1300 richer, or can i gift the deposit to one of my kids?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter