Travel Changes?

It sounds corny, but I absolutely trust the Disney brand.

Not corny at all, it's the same reason we booked ABD for Egypt and not another tour company. Because I know how intensely protective they are of their brand, precisely because they are so invested in maintaining that level of consumer trust. Makes perfect sense to me.

We live in a world of instant news these days, which is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because we learn about issues quickly but it's a curse because, while they don't mean to, news stories can instigate and flame fears.

Yes, it's scary when you hear about how there are 80,000+ cases of Covid-19 worldwide and how 2,700 people have died from it so far. The one thing that is missing from all those news stories about it is the perspective. According to the CDC, the common flu infects approximately 5 million people each year and kills up to 650,000 worldwide. In the US alone this year (Oct 1, 2019 - Feb 1, 2020), the CDC estimates 12,000-30,000 people have died and that up to 31 million Americans have had the flu, with up to 37,000 being hospitalized because of it. When you take into consideration the global population of approximately 7.4 - 7.8 Billion people, it really starts to put things in perspective.

I'm still planning to travel. We're off to Africa in June and India in February with no plans to alter our trips unless our tour operator chooses to do so.

Agreed but we have to be careful not to compare Coronavirus to normal seasonal flu. Death rate for Coronavirus is 3% compared to 0.1-0.2% for flu.
That’s 30 times larger.

I’ll be curious to see what abd does with Italy trip coming up as italy is now level 2 cdc risk and airlines are starting to offer cancellations for Venice

When the ABD SE Asia went in Feb while the outbreak was occurring, I heard that the adventurers were encouraged to change their flights so that they did not go through China while China was a CDC level 3. At that time China was cancelled through May. SE Asia at that time had no CDC warning so I assume that's why ABD thought it was safe to proceed that trip. Italy is different because it's actually a level 2 and trips are pending very soon. Very interested to see at what CDC levels that trips are cancelled, obviously 3 is assumed cancelled.

Not to quibble, but my understanding was 2% for CV and 0.5% for flu. That's 4x more lethal. Unless you look at Iran, who at last count had 16 deaths out of 95 cases approximately. Hopefully their cases are under reported and it's not actually at 16+% fatality rate.

Like I have said upthread we are faced with traveling soon. My husband is boarding a flight to Milan in a few hours. Anyway, I think it is already pretty much everywhere already. The reason Italy is finding so many cases is they have actually tested over 9,000 people, many of which have no symptoms but may have come into contact with a high risk person. Other countries are not testing that broadly at all. And you know how Europe is - the borders are open and the South of France, for example, is much closer to the cases in Lombardy, than Southern Italy is. So, I have an idea there are cases out there, that look like flu and people are not being tested. It is winter and coughs, sniffles and fevers are everywhere. I myself had a bad case of flu three weeks ago - including temperature of over 103 degrees for a period and I had some shortness of breath/difficulty breathing deeply. I had not been to China, but I got home from a trip to California not even a day before it hit me suddenly and hard. Did I have Cornoavirus? Who knows who I came into contact with.

I just think we cannot randomly quarantine every place that has a case or even in some cases a suspected case. We are at some point going to have to weigh the risk of the virus spreading vs. shutting everything down and causing the world's economy to collapse. I am not saying money is more important than life, AT ALL. But I am the potential of putting millions on lockdown is somewhat crazy too - at least in my opinion.
We are scheduled for the Italy trip in late March and waiting a few weeks before canceling. All is so dynamic.

We are scheduled for the Italy trip in late March and waiting a few weeks before canceling. All is so dynamic.

Have you checked with ABD on the Italy trip? If CDC is saying “not recommended” to travel there (Level 2) then I’m shocked Disney hasn’t either cancelled or told you guys the itinerary has radically changed (I.e. not going to Venice)

Have you checked with ABD on the Italy trip? If CDC is saying “not recommended” to travel there (Level 2) then I’m shocked Disney hasn’t either cancelled or told you guys the itinerary has radically changed (I.e. not going to Venice)
I spoke to ABD today and they still have a fully booked tour for the March 27th trip. The representative could not answer at what level the trip would be canceled, except to say the rehearsed lines of we are watching the situation closely and following the CDC recommendations ....

We must be on the same tour—departing March 17? I am also a little worried about the Venice portion of the trip. I am waiting for any info from ABD beyond the note asking if we had been to China recently.

I’m also a little worried because I have a pre-day in Naples and I hope if they make cancellations they inform us in enough time for us to make necessary changes to our plans.

We are booked for the Italy trip that leaves in 2 weeks. I just called ABD, and as of right now, the itinerary remains unchanged.

I'm not concerned about Rome or Florence. My biggest concern is trying to re-book airfare home if they decide not to go to Venice, because that is where we are supposed to fly home from. I know ABD will cover any change fees, but just hope there is room on flights leaving from other airports in Italy for us to make it back (hopefully together).

I just got this email from the US embassy - Italy, sent via the
Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) - Travel.gov

Italy, Level 3: Reconsider travel, February 28, 2020
Reconsider travel to Italy due to a recent outbreak of COVID-19.

There is an ongoing outbreak of COVID-19 caused by a novel (new) coronavirus in Italy. Many cases of COVID-19 have been associated with travel to or from mainland China or close contact with a travel-related case, but sustained community spread has been reported in Italy. Sustained community spread means that people have been infected with the virus, but how or where they became infected is not known, and the spread is ongoing. The CDC has issued a Level 3 Warning for Italy. At this time, CDC recommends avoiding non-essential travel to Italy. Travelers should review and follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention¿s (CDC) guidelines for the prevention of coronavirus if they decide to travel to Italy.

Italy¿s risk of terrorism remains unchanged. Italy has a longstanding risk presented by terrorist groups, who continue plotting possible attacks in Italy. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page. If you decide to travel to Italy:

• Read the CDC¿s guidelines for the prevention of COVID-19 and information on health conditions in Italy.
  • Review the Embassy¿s latest alerts and the embassy¿s webpage on COVID-19 in Italy for additional information. Follow Italian health official guidance and avoid government-designated affected areas.
  • Have a plan to depart from Italy that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
  • Be aware of your surroundings when traveling to tourist locations and crowded public venues.
  • Follow the instructions of local authorities.
  • Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Italy.
  • Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler¿s Checklist.
  • Bring any required medication in your carry-on luggage as you may be separated from your checked bags. Consider carrying an extra 14 days of medication in the event that there are unanticipated delays in your travel plans.
Last Update: Updated with increased Advisory level due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

Isn’t level 3 same as China? ABD will definitely cancel in that case.
Yes, same as China. I would think they are now canceling and airlines probably issuing refunds.

Updated COVID-19 CDC watch list:
Warning - Level 3, Avoid Nonessential Travel ---- CHINA, SOUTH KOREA, ITALY, IRAN
Alert - Level 2, Practice Enhanced Precautions ---- JAPAN
Watch - Level 1, Practice Usual Precautions ---- HONG KONG

Such a bummer that this is happening... I just looked at the WHO website and France is number 2 right behind Italy in number of cases. I'm hoping I can still go on this trip!

Such a bummer that this is happening... I just looked at the WHO website and France is number 2 right behind Italy in number of cases. I'm hoping I can still go on this trip!
It looks like US has more than France from Johns Hopkins map. So do you think that based on ABD history of cancelling, they won't cancel until it is a level 3? Do they cancel by email or phone call?

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

It looks like US has more than France from Johns Hopkins map. So do you think that based on ABD history of cancelling, they won't cancel until it is a level 3? Do they cancel by email or phone call?

They cancel by phone call, though when I called last night about the Italy trip, I don't think they yet knew about the level 3 alert. The vacationista had me on hold for about 40 minutes while she was speaking with her supervisor.

At first I was a little taken aback that ABD is literally waiting until CDC makes a country level 3, “do not travel”, before they cancel. But then I thought that maybe part of it is that they have the power to completely change up itineraries if they want. So on London Paris, if Paris starts getting many cases, maybe they’ll turn the whole ABD into a UK trip ? Who knows...I just hope things stabilize soon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter