Travel with a 4 year old

StargazerNova

Mouseketeer
Just some thoughts on traveling to Disney for the first time with a 4 year old. Would of course make trip as cost efficient as possible but want to make the most of the 9 days
Leaving Disney to go to Aquatica and SeaWorld will cost me transportation as well as more expense but want to make the trip as memorable as possible..in your opinion can I get all I want out of Disney as leaving the park for extra activities? Disney does have the 2 waterparks... live mammals could that be found with Disney? your info is much appreciated.
thank you

There is no way you can see/do everything at Disneyworld in 9 days, even if you went non-stop from morning to night, which I don't recommend with a 4 year old.

I took my niece when she was 4, almost 5. We were there for 7 days. I found that a 4 year old needs downtime. Our strategy to keep us both sane was to get up in the morning, go to the parks until about lunch time, have lunch, go back to the resort for a swim/rest/nap and then go back to the parks at night. In the middle of the week we did a "down" day where we didn't get up early. I let her sleep in and we went to the pool, and then did a couple of hours in the park later in the day.

Personally, I think trying to add in SeaWorld and Aquatica on a first trip with a four year old would be too much. You can see animals at Animal Kingdom and Epcot has an aquarium.

I personally would just stick to Disney. There is plenty to see. As tho previous poster said, Animal Kingdom and Epcot would add some animals/fish to the trip if your child is interested.

We went when my oldest was four for five days and were all exhausted at the end. I would have some break days where you're not trying to cram them full of stuff. I'd also look at what there isvto do and figure out what he'd really want to do oe see to figure out how much to do. There will be rides and attractions that he won't be able to do or won't be interested in doing.

We took my oldest for the first time when she was 4yo. We stayed 9 nights, and never left Disney. We certainly did not feel like we had "extra" time, and would have easily made use of a few more days. I really don't see the advantage of leaving Disney to go to Sea World. We like Sea World (and Universal, Legoland, etc) but they are better as a standalone trip, it's just not efficient to take away time at Disney that you have essentially already paid for.

At that age, it is very beneficial to split the day up. Be at the parks when they open, stay until lunch, then head back to the resort for a few hours to rest, swim, etc. And then back to a park for a few more hours in the evening. It keeps everyone from getting burned out and overstimulated. And definitely make use of the water parks, Disney Springs, etc for at least a day or two.

Another I wanted to add is that at that age they can be interested in things we don't think about. When I asked my niece when we were on our way home what her favorite things were she listed off about 10 things -- swimming in the pool, trading pins, playing in the parks(Winnie the Pooh, Chip & Dale, etc.), breakfast with the princesses (Akershaus), trick or treating in the Magic Kingdom (Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party), dinner with Cinderella (1900 Park Fare), petting the goats (AK). -- all before she got to a ride.

Who do you want the trip to be memorable for? You or the 4 year old?

It's an honest question, and one that i think changes your plans considerably. Both are certainly valid motivations, but at some point come into competition with each other. If you want this to be a trip that the 4 year old remembers forever, then I think you are best served by keeping things less intense, and repeating certain attractions multiple times. There's a reason why pre-schools and kindergartens repeat everything so much. Rest will be important, as memory formation takes a hit when physically drained. 9 days, I'd include at least 2 resort days, probably 3, do MK 2.5 days (1 day rope drop, 1 day late, half day to hit up things the child loved one more time), and then 1 day at the other parks, repeating any that fit with your child interests (eg, AK for the kiddo that loves animals).

If the goal of the trip is to create as many photo opps and memories for YOU, then by all means, load up every day as much as you can stomach. Just know that you'll need a vacation from your vacation at the end.

My parents gave us one trip to WDW with that siege mentality when I was a teenager, and truthfully, there's not much I remember about that trip because it was just non-stop the whole time. As a parent now, I recognize that everyone approaches vacations differently and sometimes the best option is to do it once and then never again. But there are tradeoffs to be sure.

I definitely would not add on going to a second place. PLENTY to do at Disney. That's just more expense and stress - not a way to make better memories. Some of my most memorable/treasured experiences with my niece at Disney have nothing to do with rides. Some stupid made up game when she was 3 at the resort, having her volunteer to try a new food for the first time, helping her learn to read a park map, eating an ice cream bar when we were both waiting for her mom, etc......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter