Traveling with Autistic Child..Advice?

DisneyDreams4P&B

Remembering Austin....
(This was posted on the Disney Cruise Thread as well)

We are booked on the Disney Magic Cruise set to sail September 10, 2005. We are traveling with my DS 5 and DS 2 the oldest has High Functioning Autism (HFA). Does anyone have any advice for how to handle things on board, good excursions, things to avoid, things to do? Am I crazy for thinking that I may get 5 minutes to myself? Any tips, stories etc. would be greatly appreciated. There is a large number of people I am finding in a similar situation looking for information and some reassurance.

Thanks!

Just posting to welcome you to disABILITIES :wave:
and bump this up so more people will see it.
I know there are people out there who have gone on cruises with children with autism (and some have even posted about using the Kids' Clubs on board).

My daughter has FAS and SID which look and act a lot like an ASD....I haven't been on a cruise with her, but take her to the parks all the time. I would see if you can find another family who is going to be on board who could maybe swap sitting with you or something. If you have any specific ??'s for dealing with stuff, feel free to email or PM me...I will also check back here too... MommytoMJM@aol.com

I am also interested in any info one can give. We went to WDw with our High Functioning Austistic son in January and he did great. We would also like to do the cruise, but are concerned that we will have to leave him with grandma or chase him around the ship. Does anyone take paraprofessionals/respite with them to go to the kid's club with their child? Will the cruise line allow this? I would like to enjoy myself too since it will be expensive!

Just another friendly bump:)

I knowit's not unheard of to take a respite person with you...but as far as going to the Kid's Clubs with your child... :confused3

I have a feeling that it wouldn't be permitted, just from a "safety" standpoint. A respite person isn't a CM, and haven't been "cleared" so to speak bt DCL to work in the Clubs...again, I'm just guessing...but give DCL a call.

On a side note, Deb and the gang at allears are working on a book. I would post over on the Anita Answers column...let us know what happens:)

:sunny:

You should check with DCL as I have heard they will allow an aid to stay with a special needs child in the club.

We have not been on a cruise, but from what I have read, they will try top accomidate your child's needs if they can (which could include allowing his support perrson with him).

I have cruised several times with DCL, but did not have children in the clubs.

I have read several posts from families who have brought a nanny/teacher/therapist along to help with a child with extreme special needs. These companions have been welcomed, along with the child, in the kids programs.

I know that parents are welcome to accompany any child in the clubs, some or all of the time. DCL has a medical/accommodation form you can fill out ahead of time. :earsboy:

We have taken 2 Disney cruises with my four children, two which have autism. We have also taken their aides with them and they were welcomed to join my kids in the club. Unfortunately, my kids would rather be outside in the sunshine and swimming, than inside so we rarely used the clubs!

My grandson has autism and we took him on a cruise (not Disney). It was quite a surprise to us that he did great on the cruise. The gentle rocking of the ship actually helped keep him calmer. He loved the kids club. However, he was the oldest in the group which fit him well. We are cruising this summer to Alaska and he will be the youngest in the group. I am worried about this trip. I am already planning on him being with us the majority of the trip and that is fine. Hopefully, he will go to the kids club and they will not have any problems with him at least on an occasional basis. One problem with the cruise we have this summer is that him and his older brother will be in the same age group. This can cause some problems because he loves to aggravate his older brother.

Last time we were on a Disney cruise, I noticed the navigator had times listed when you could explore the children's area with your child. These were times there was no activity plan at that area.

Im so glad you are going! A lot of people with autistic children (like my sister) wouldnt even go. Good luck! I hope you have someone good going to help you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter