• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Traveling with Meds

Hatzie

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I will be flying to WDW on 11/22 for the first time. Due to my illnesses, I take numerous perscriptions. With the FAA regulations, what is the best way for me to take my meds along.

Thanks!!!

Walt

First of all, take everything in your carryon and not checked.

I sort my medicines into three groups. Those I take before or at breakfast, those I take with or after dinner, and those just before bed. The morning pills are a large quantity, so I put each day's pills in a sparate plastic sandwich bag for each day. The latter two groups are small, so I am able to put them in compartmented pill containers with day markings, keeping the dinner and bedtime in separate boxes.

I take my insulin syringes in one or more packages of ten to be sufficient for my needs plus a few spares. I take more than enough individual wrapped alcohol swabs to cover my needs, again plus some spares.

I put all of these, plus the insulin bottles, in a zipper bag.

I do not carry the bottles for all the pills. I do carry, however, in my wallet a detailed list of all the medications I take.

I also carry my BSL testing supplies and meter is a small case.

I have never had any problems in carrying anything on.

My DH takes 14 meds and two inhalers every day. When we travel he keeps his meds in his carry-on, never in the luggage--it would be just about a disaster financially if he had to replace all that medicine at one time.He does carry the bottles with him, if they are small(some are about the size of a quart jar!) And he has two large size 7-day containers, one for morning and one for evening. And he has a small pocket size container for anything he needs to take at noon. He also keeps his meds in the room safe--the drugs would be very valuable on the street. We have never had a problem with security traveling this way.

Airline regulations state that they need to be in their original prescription bottles, but I have heard many folks say that they fly no problem with the medicine in medicine boxes, or ziplocs, etc.

Carol

In some states it is a felony (i.e. Texas) to transport medications not in original prescription containers.

Thank you, minkydog. Keeping most of my medications in the room safe is a good idea. I don't think my medications have much "street value", but someone who steals pills probably wouldn't look too closely.

Thanks for the replies, I was already planning on taking them in my carry-on. My problem is the amount of space that all the bottles and boxes that I would need to carry would take up. I'm wondering if a printout from my pharmacy would be sufficient.

The TSA (transportation Security Administration) site says:
Medications should be labeled so they are identifiable.
Medications in daily dosage containers are allowed through the checkpoint once they been screened.

They don't specify exactly how that has to be done.
Most people carry the original pharmacy containers, but as long as they are identifiable, that's what TSA is looking for.
You could ask the Pharmacist for suggestions (one of which might be to bring a list). I know some people ask the Pharmacist for some smaller labeled bottles to take with on trips. If you are going on a one week trip, you don't need to take along a whole 30 day supply of medication (although a few extra days worth is good in case you get delayed). Having a smaller number of pills often means you can use a smaller bottle.
Another thing to think about is emergency situations. If you are not able to speak for yourself and have only a bottle of mixed pills with you, it will take some extra time for the medical people to figure out what you have with you. And, with just the pills, they would not not know how many doses per day you take or why you are taking it (some medications are taken for more than one reason).

The TSA says: "In order to prevent contamination or damage to medication and associated supplies and/or fragile medical materials, you will be asked at the security checkpoint to display, handle, and repack your own medication and associated supplies during the visual inspection process. Any medication and/or associated supplies that cannot be cleared visually must be submitted for x-ray screening. If you refuse, you will not be permitted to carry your medications and related supplies into the sterile area. "

HOWEVER, both BWI (Baltimore) and MCO (Orlando) did not ask or allow me to handle my stuff. They took the bag and off they went to a public screening area. I made sure everything was in it's own see thru baggie. If you can take unopened items, it helps, but hard to do sometimes. I was a little concerned that I could not see what they were doing until I got thru the screener. So, on the return flight, I made sure the others in my party went thru first, so they could keep an eye on things while I went thru. (Hope that makes sense).

Deb Wills
Co-Author Passporter's WDW For Your Special Needs

This was several years ago, but airport security examined the X-ray of my asthma inhaler/with spacer for a couple of minutes before just sending it on to be opened and visually inspected, which I don't mind at all. I have nothing to hide.

Hope they work for you. Let us know, please.

Ambassador said:
While not a direct answer to your meds question, we wanted to bring to your attention a new security service. On our return last week, we saw this new service offered at MCO. http://www.flyclear.com/clear_howclearworks.html. Some may find this expedited treatment a benefit.
That's interesting. I had heard about it on the news, but that was all I heard. Thanks for the link.

I'm glad I read this thread--I hadn't even thought about having the meds in the bottles since we have so many pills to take (dh takes 11 a day, dd-2 is on 6, my mom has 8 and I have 4--eep!!!!)...Thanks for saving me lots of stress at the airport!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter