travelling solo...I think...some advice please

ChisJo

Cause afterall, a dream that you wish, will come t
Wow, it's been a long time since I have been on this site. I have the urge to return to WDW and need some advice. Last time I went I was married and had the time of my life. Now, I am having a hard time finding someone to come with me, but really want to return, and am tempted to travel by myself. I have travelled solo before and loved it, but WDW seems like one those places you need a companion with. Can anyone tell me their experiences travelling solo and if it's worth it? Are there any perks in the parks to travelling solo and what is the experience like in the park? I guess because of the sheer size of the park, I feel a little intimidated to travel solo.
Any advice for me from all the experienced solo travellers to WDW?
Thanks,
J.

hi ChisJo:wave:
you can definately still have a wonderful time at wdw even if you are solo, but i understand your hesitation. i was widowed 2 yrs ago and never dreamt i would ever travel solo. but i wanted to return to disney and fond memories of previous trips and dd and friends couldn't make the trip, so last year i went alone. i had a great time, it was so nice for once to be able to pamper myself, i only needed to worry about what i wanted to do and could change my plans whenever i wanted. i splurged on a few things too since i didn't have to pay for the whole family:D there were times, of course, that i felt a little lonely, but there is so much to do and see i kept pretty busy. i also talked more with others than i had previously, while waiting for shows and parades, etc. i am busy planning for my 2nd solo trip coming up in 4 weeks. i would go for it if i was you:D

The only problem I can see is if you are going to be overwhelmed by memories of your last visit there.

I have been to WDW several times alone, and one thing that always happens is I recall the memories of being there with others in the past.

"oh that's where mom and I had lunch, that's where my sister and I bought hats etc......"

Is that going to be a problem?

If not, I say go and enjoy!

Disney alone is amazing.

You go where you want, when you want and soooo much faster!

You don't spend one minute asking anyone where they want to go or where they want to eat,, for once you get to completely indulge your every whim.

You get to go ahead in lines that ask for single riders.....

You can easily duck around strollers and crowds of people without fear of losing anyone from your group.

You really truly can have a great time.

People are so friendly. You will never feel lonely because people in line are always looking for someone to talk to.

You can wear an interesting tee shirt which will give people a reason to talk to you if you are too shy to speak first.....

You can have cast members take your photo.

I'm going with my new husband for the first time and I bet I will remember fondly all my solo trips!

And remember, because you go alone this time, doesn't mean you won't have someone to share it with in the future!

Best of luck to you,

Karen

Hi, I went on my first solo vacation there for 10 days in Nov. 2003 and had a great time. I totally agree with the above posters. You can have a wonderful time by yourself if you let yourself have fun.

Now, I would like to tell you something before you truly consider this. I am a loner. I am an only child and was brought up learning to entertain myself (no relatives lived nearby and I am a girl who was raised in a neighborhood full of boys). There are a lot of people in this world who can't spend an entire day by themselves (plenty of my friends are this way and couldn't believe I was doing Disney solo for 10 days). To each is own but I would tell you that if you know that your one of these people who doesn't enjoy a lot of time by themselves, you can still plan a solo trip just don't plan a very long one. Learn what works best for you be it a 3 day vacation or a 10 day vacation. You'll only feel as odd as you let yourself feel. Have fun and just plan one, everything will work out great.

Ditto with the opinions of Katypop and Karemore!!

My DH and I have been going since 71..every year. He passed away in 98.
I have gone with friends and taken my mom ( who passed in 02).

Yes.... the memories are very real and the first trip was hard, but, there's something about surrounding myself in the Disney Magic that comforts me.
Being in the room @ nite is tough so I would play the DC on tv and plan the next days adventures! Sounds foolish maybe...
Im taking friends in May...but am more looking forward to my solo trip in the fall.

:wave:

Chrisjo,

I just found this board, I didn't know there were that many people who went to WDW alone. I am planning my own getaway in September for 3-4 days. I have a free flight voucher that expires in October, and it just dawned on me yesterday as I was planning our family WDW trip for late October that I would LOVE to be there by myself. DH doesn't LOVE WDW, he tolerates it for DS4 and DS6-has a good time seeing them have fun. Kids are timid, so we skip just about everything inside or fast. (We can do all 4 parks in 2 days!) I have had them wait while I went on a ride I wanted to go on, but the whole time felt guilty. So I say I deserve a little guilty pleasure of my own. I do have to agree with an above poster, you have to enjoy and not be afraid of being by yourself(are you ever really alone amidst all those people?). I am not afraid to stay in the on site hotels alone either, that is something else to consider. Sure I know I will get a touch of homesickness a few times, but I can just make a quick phone call from the line of SM and check in with the kids. I am SO looking forward to it, I can't stand it. I guess I should feel selfish, and I do, but I don't care!!::yes:::cool1: :cool1:

Hi,

Long time since I've posted here.

I've travelled solo twice to WDW--October 13-20, 2000 (staying in All Star Sports) and December 3-14, 2003 (All Star Music) and both times had the kind of blast that you can't approach with dynamite.

I am thinking about doing another, shorter (perhaps five days) trip to the World in December for Mousefest 2004, staying in a moderate resort. I'm leaning toward staying in Caribbean Beach or Port Orleans French Quarter.

In February I went to Las Vegas for four days and didn't gamble.

In May I will fly to California to visit family.

In September I will fly to Vancouver, BC to visit family in Canada.

Thinking cruise in 2005 but am loath to dress up lol.

Chrisjo, go for it. I believe that if I waited for someone to go with me, I wouldn't go anywhere.

Jim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter