Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No I was being sincere. But it doesn't mean that your choice of words shouldn't noted when we are talking about people's written reactions which is what we were talking about. You used pixie dust and soiled shoes while mentioned being at the front desk awaiting something.

I was when I responded to you attempting to ease your concerns. But based on your comments honestly I'm not sure you were looking for actual advice because when I gave it to you more of what came out what other things not actually related to what I was commenting on...I'm not sure if you were instead looking for someone to lead the charge with you. I really don't mean any sort of offense here but it seemed like to me you made your comment about packing extra shoes and pixie dust and soiled shoes and front desk more of trying to make a point.

It's not that isn't not a significant new concerns it's that if you said "I always pack extra shoes just in case I step in something gross while at the parks now I have to think more about that with dog poop" and didn't follow up with pixie dust and soiled shoes part I probably wouldn't have even said anything because I get that added layer of stress can make quite a difference.

Instead you came at it like you've never thought before about what you could possibly step in on any given day at the parks and so I came at it from a "if you didn't before you probably don't have to now". Some of the comments here I'm thinking are people just not actually considering what exposures they may have had before. It makes sense to have the mentality. It's not like I thought really hard about a deer peeing in my backyard until I saw it happen. It may very well be that people are seeing something common to their everyday lives suddenly crop up with a new policy (which again the notice truly does bite). Doesn't make your concern any less valid but my point was your concern as well as other people's concerns existed long before the policy was announced.

And believe it or not I can understand how frustrating it must be. But I'm also not on one side or the other in this new policy here on this thread so my approach may not be the same as someone who is only on the one side that is the majority in this thread.

ETA: I should mention I wasn't offended at all so no worries on that :) And please don't take offense to my comments either as I really am not intending them to be that way.

I've taken your words at face value, perhaps you could consider taking mine as well - I really was venting and troubleshooting. I have gathered a lot of good information on this thread - and read a lot of different perspectives on both sides that have opened my eyes - to help prepare me for my trip. Maybe one of my posts has helped someone, maybe not. Again with my shoe issue - I hear what you're saying, and it is true I haven't felt like wrecking my shoes has been a big worry before (I've pretty much avoided everything but sticky bathrooms), which is why it felt like a new worry now. I might have thought about stepping in other stuff at my resort before, but I hadn't expected dog poop. Maybe I should have been more concerned about the other stuff and have just gotten lucky. I've explained it before so I won't go all into it again, but there it is...I was not consciously trying to make a point, but I'm sure my frustration at my cumulative thoughts about (1) how this was rolled out (2) policies that appear lax and difficult to enforce (3) reports that Disney was "surprised" given the rollout that people had so many concerns, (4) how it was directly affecting me, (5) that it didn't seem like things were thought through, etc. may have been reflected in my words.

I'm not sure what you meant about leading the charge? With the shoes and the front desk? I truly was not being literal about that. But for me, this change does add some new concerns in my specific situation, some of which I mentioned in that original post. Again I use the watching other people's kids thing - a position I've never been in before in Disney. There might be different instances when I would or wouldn't be in charge of a friend's child there, and I would consider age, circumstance, my experience with their behavior, etc. But using a different example than dogs, like maybe pools, I probably would watch my friend's kids at the Poly Volcano pool, but definitely not Stormalong Bay because I would fine it stressful. I might not watch the younger one because she's not always a great listener, etc. But I don't know what the situation will be like at POR in a few months with the new policy, and I'd like to think about these things now so I can talk with my friend before about our expectations with each other, instead of having an awkward conversation later. The only dogs we would have encountered before at the resort were service dogs, who are well trained. It could be different now depending upon how many people bring dogs and how rules are followed and enforced. For all I know, one of her kids could have an allergy or a phobia...

I did not take offense, just wanted to clarify as I felt they may have been taken out of context, plus I generally don't get offended by other's posts, like I said I try to worry about my own clarity and expression.

Not to mention line jumpers, kids that misbehave and people with kids that misbehave. Kids are often more unsanitary, noisy, and uncontrollable than dogs, but they're allowed to go everywhere!
Kids are not dogs. No human ever carried a dog in her uterus, I can give a dog away (not so much my kids tho at times I’m tempted to try.). Some cultures eat dog & human cannabalism is considered abhorrent.

Please stop comparing dogs to children. I understand some view them as such (& for good reason), but they are not. & yes I find many children annoying. My own included at times.

Has anyone said that they will bring their dog and then leave them in the hotel room for up to 7 hours?

I literally just had a CM make fun of me for switching resorts because of this trial dog run. I had booked POR, but figured it was worth it for my family to switch to AKL for about $300 more and avoid the dog issue. The CM laughed and said, "Let me get this straight, you don't want to stay at POR because of a possible dog issue, but you want to go to a resort with all of the animals? RAHAHAHA."
That was really not nice of the CM.

Has anyone said that they will bring their dog and then leave them in the hotel room for up to 7 hours?

And if the family goes to the park, even for a half day, where do you propose they keep their dog other than in the room? Assuming they are taking Disney Buses...they leave the room, walk to the bus stop, wait 15 minutes, take the 15 minute ride to the park, spend 4 hours at the park, return to the bus stop, wait 15 minutes, take the 15 min return trip and get back to the room. That is between 5 and 6 hours depending on transportation waits.

We are currently being discussed on the live show.

And it's a very reasonable discussion but then again that's why they're the pros.

I know they've talked about various aspects, including allergies. I haven't had a chance to hear the whole thing yet, though (can't right now). ...Have they mentioned phobias vs. dogs on walkways and in lobbies (etc.)? ...And to what extent CMs can/hopefully will be empowered to police this? (Since that's a bit lacking at FW and re. smokers).

I've taken your words at face value, perhaps you could consider taking mine as well - I really was venting and troubleshooting. I have gathered a lot of good information on this thread - and read a lot of different perspectives on both sides that have opened my eyes - to help prepare me for my trip. Maybe one of my posts has helped someone, maybe not. Again with my shoe issue - I hear what you're saying, and it is true I haven't felt like wrecking my shoes has been a big worry before (I've pretty much avoided everything but sticky bathrooms), which is why it felt like a new worry now. I might have thought about stepping in other stuff at my resort before, but I hadn't expected dog poop. Maybe I should have been more concerned about the other stuff and have just gotten lucky. I've explained it before so I won't go all into it again, but there it is...I was not consciously trying to make a point, but I'm sure my frustration at my cumulative thoughts about (1) how this was rolled out (2) policies that appear lax and difficult to enforce (3) reports that Disney was "surprised" given the rollout that people had so many concerns, (4) how it was directly affecting me, (5) that it didn't seem like things were thought through, etc. may have been reflected in my words.

I'm not sure what you meant about leading the charge? With the shoes and the front desk? I truly was not being literal about that. But for me, this change does add some new concerns in my specific situation, some of which I mentioned in that original post. Again I use the watching other people's kids thing - a position I've never been in before in Disney. There might be different instances when I would or wouldn't be in charge of a friend's child there, and I would consider age, circumstance, my experience with their behavior, etc. But using a different example than dogs, like maybe pools, I probably would watch my friend's kids at the Poly Volcano pool, but definitely not Stormalong Bay because I would fine it stressful. I might not watch the younger one because she's not always a great listener, etc. But I don't know what the situation will be like at POR in a few months with the new policy, and I'd like to think about these things now so I can talk with my friend before about our expectations with each other, instead of having an awkward conversation later. The only dogs we would have encountered before at the resort were service dogs, who are well trained. It could be different now depending upon how many people bring dogs and how rules are followed and enforced. For all I know, one of her kids could have an allergy or a phobia...

I did not take offense, just wanted to clarify as I felt they may have been taken out of context, plus I generally don't get offended by other's posts, like I said I try to worry about my own clarity and expression.
Well honestly I didn't take your shoes and the front desk as literal (but I did still want to offer advice as you posed the question, again I was trying to be practical and I apologize if you didn't think I was being sincere). That was sorta my point on commenting on the reactions from this thread based on how people wrote their comments. But multiple posters responded to your wordage on that post. I know stepping in dog poop is a very real concern and completely understand that. But another poster at some point in the thread just mentioned they would wash it off and move on.....and they were met with comments about not wanting to worry about that stuff. In the end what will you do if you step in dog poop?

I don't generally get offended by other people's posts either. Have you been to the community board :) :) Just kidding..well maybe.. lol

No matter what I really do hope your vacation is a good one and I hope at least in the coming months you'll have more information to help you. But you should probably be glad you're not going when I am (well I just got back from mine) as I went to WDW during Irma and then went to Vegas less than 9 hours after the shooting occurred combined that with we visited the Hoover Dam and because of an elevator malfunction just weeks before our trip they were unable to do the Dam tours (which we really really wanted to do)...so I'm not on a roll when it comes to stress-free vacations (this is me trying to interject some lightness here :) )

I'm all for dogs, my daughter's dog sleeps in bed with her and when she's not home, she'll sleep in bed with us. With that said, I don't want to sleep in a hotel room that a dog slept in. I keep up with our pets and vaccinate and give her flea/tick meds etc. Bad enough I have to worry about bed bugs, coming home with fleas is not an additional worry I need to think or worry about.

I sleep with my dog too. Every night. I got so used to my previous dog sleeping in our bed, I had to get a puppy when we put him down. I couldn't get to sleep without a warm furry body snuggled next to me.

But when it comes to your own dog and your human kids, you can tolerate and do a lot more for them than other people's dogs and kids.

The thought of sleeping in a bed that any dog besides mine gives me the willies. I have no problem cleaning up my dog's poop, but I'm gagging if the poop came from a strange dog. I was the same way with diapers on human babies.

Anyway, I don't like the idea of strange dogs having slept in the same bed I'm sleeping in. And bless the maintenance staff at the dog friendly hotels for picking up after them. I couldn't do it.

Has anyone gotten upgraded by calling? We have been booked at POR since December and although we have 2 dogs and I LOVE dogs I am no happy about this. I don't know a dog that doesn't bark when someone knocks on a door and I always hear housekeeping knocking on doors before entering. I also don't want to have to worry about my children stepping in a mess that someone forgot to clean up! If they want to include dogs why don't they just build a resort that is geared towards dogs and their owners. It could be really cute and then maybe both sides would be happier!
Yes, people have gotten upgraded and reported their success here. They sent an email to the address below and were sure to cc The CEO of Disney and the president in charge of Disney World Resorts:

WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com
And cc these folks too:
Robert.a.iger@disney.com
George.Kalogridis@disney.com

I'm wondering if they will put "No Dogs Allowed" signs between the connecting resorts; AoA and Pop, POR and POFQ, YC/BC/BWI. We are supposed to stay at Pop in December, and it looks like one of the doggie relief areas is right near the bridge. We were looking forward to walking across the bridge and exploring AoA. I actually thought that was a plus of staying at Pop and also having easy access to the Landscape of Flavors. But, with my DD8 having anxiety and animal phobia, we may be precluded from doing this.

I'm pretty sure they will end up having to do this. Because if you don't mark it off this way people will assume it's fine. And I'm torn between feeling like this would be a good thing and they need to set clear and obvious boundaries and feeling like signs in general are an eyesore.

Sadly No one at WDW will notice or care if you're angry....they will only notice if you complain about it. If they have to be bothered with dealing with dog issues all day every day, then they will notice and then they MIGHT care. In short, do not suffer silently.
Spot on! Say it in writing, and be sure and cc the highest level management:

WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com
And cc these folks too:
Robert.a.iger@disney.com
Robert.Chapek@disney.com
George.Kalogridis@disney.com

Wherever the dog relief areas are located, I'm assuming the whole resort grounds are available for walking dogs? (Let's face it dogs need exercise.) If so, that does mean dogs will be throughout these resorts and not just in restricted blocks and dog relief areas. I noticed on the Disney parks blog, someone mentioned dogs should be required to be muzzled and on controlled length leashes. The latter, especially, seems important to me.

The actual Disney policy reads, "Please leash or restrain your dogs at all times while in public spaces on Resort property."

..."Leash OR RESTRAIN" - what does that mean? And it doesn't say "must be leashed" it says "please leash", which I know sounds pedantic, but these things do influence how seriously people follow rules, especially when they'd rather not!

The cast member was just st stating the obvious. It is pretty funny if you think about it.

I did give him the benefit of the doubt and basically deadpanned, "ha, ha," but I also brought up the same thing that others have...those savannah animals will not be sleeping in the bed, inadvertently going to the bathroom on the floor, or barking. I am excited about our trip and staying at the AKL, especially because for us it is doable budget wise right now. I think that it would have been appropriate for the CM who booked my original POR package to let me know about the trial dog policy (which was already instituted when I made the reservation). I am a dog owner and lover, but much like I do not take my 5 year old to certain restaurants, I wouldn't take my dog on a Disney vacation. I cannot even imagine that being fun or comfortable for the dog, much less other guests.

What bothers me is that by starting this policy right away at a busier time of year, that really leaves few to no options at WDW for people who already have trips planned. We leave in 3 weeks and WDW is showing no availability at any resort for our party of 5 from November 9-17. If we were given notice of this new policy months ago we may have been able to switch to a different resort or at least had the option to.

Well honestly I didn't take your shoes and the front desk as literal (but I did still want to offer advice as you posed the question, again I was trying to be practical and I apologize if you didn't think I was being sincere). That was sorta my point on commenting on the reactions from this thread based on how people wrote their comments. But multiple posters responded to your wordage on that post. I know stepping in dog poop is a very real concern and completely understand that. But another poster at some point in the thread just mentioned they would wash it off and move on.....and they were met with comments about not wanting to worry about that stuff. In the end what will you do if you step in dog poop?

I don't generally get offended by other people's posts either. Have you been to the community board :) :) Just kidding..well maybe.. lol

No matter what I really do hope your vacation is a good one and I hope at least in the coming months you'll have more information to help you. But you should probably be glad you're not going when I am (well I just got back from mine) as I went to WDW during Irma and then went to Vegas less than 9 hours after the shooting occurred combined that with we visited the Hoover Dam and because of an elevator malfunction just weeks before our trip they were unable to do the Dam tours (which we really really wanted to do)...so I'm not on a roll when it comes to stress-free vacations (this is me trying to interject some lightness here :) )

I genuinely didn't see the other posts specifically referring to mine and I think I've read almost every post! Just the one that you mentioned that I thought was referring to multiple posts in more of a general way! And while I've tried to explain how my frustration had affected my post, I've definitely seen such instances on both sides of the fence. Again, as I mentioned in a previous post to you, as a dog lover, I feel really conflicted about this situation, but I also feel really taken for granted by Disney, where I've spend a whole lotta money over the last 10 years, by the way they've handled things.

And to answer your question - again I think I've established that I think poop is just a tougher clean than the other examples, lol! Others may not feel that way and that's fine - we all get upset about different things - you just mentioned a bunch that people often discuss in a previous post, some of which don't bother me much when I'm there. What will I do if I step in dog poop at POR, you ask? I will probably bring extra shoes for both of us (perhaps I should have been doing it with the sneakers all along and we've just been lucky (I only did it with the Dansko sandals before). I will do that, so if we're in a rush, we can do a quick clean and a shoe change, and then do a more thorough cleaning later! I feel like that's a solid plan! :woohoo:In any case, honestly my biggest concern is being with WDW with a large group slowing me down and the obligations and such. New experience. But no matter what, my girl and I are going to have a very special time together! :flower1:(of course, my DIS research always helps me in that endeavor.)

I'm sorry about your back to back (to back) vacation experiences. A hurricane would be stressful enough, but to be in Vegas during that horrible event must have been terrible. We have some dance friends (NOT going on the trip to WDW!) whose dad was also flying in when it happened - they were so stressed about it.

Yes, I've been on the community board but mostly just on one thread...although that thread was once referred to as a dumpster fire so there you go, lol! Thanks for chatting!

Okay, I got my call after sending an email last night. I won't go through the whole thing but my main complaint is what I've said here before. I don't stay at hotels with dogs for both allergy and phobia reasons and they just left me with one onsite option in our budget and it's under heavy construction and has a limited number of rooms for 5 as it is.

Things I was told that may be helpful. If you don't want a room that had a dog in it at POR they are only in standard rooms and garden view rooms. They will not be in preferred rooms or Royal Rooms. If you want to be nowhere near dogs you should be able to accomplish this with a preferred room. It seemed unclear if Royal was all that much removed from them. She said that River view rooms won't allow dogs but will be mixed within those rooms that do allow them.

At AoA she said only the Cars Suites and Mermaid rooms will allow dogs.

She also told me what the bookings were at Yacht Club and I can't remember exactly which ones but Standard and Garden were allowed I can't remember if there was another. But she did say that that they will NOT be allowed in Club Level rooms.

Of course some of this goes against what others have heard. She said that while it was announced on Friday that they didn't have a list of specifics until Sunday so the CMs should have the accurate info now.

She also said what some people here indicated that she wouldn't expect that many people to bring dogs or to be bringing larger dogs. Just her opinion I think not Disney's necessarily. To which I said that may be the case but I wasn't willing to book for the spring and hope for the best.

She also gave me her contact info if I have further questions and said to contact her if I have difficulty obtaining the room I want for our upcoming trip.

I'm at least really happy they are trying to address the situation. I hope she's right about at least the preferred room. Although I would not normally spend the money on preferred, if it's truly apart from the dog sections, it's at least an option.

I gave them my opinion and I hope others do as well and I'll be following along to see what actually happens in practice.

Hopefully she has good info but the problem I see is there are two dog relief stations right up against the Royal rooms and preferred. The only way there is to walk your dog by these rooms. They have no purpose unless dogs will be close by. Same goes for AoA.

I completely don’t buy they don’t think many will do this. Disney’s #1 goal is revenue and they wouldn’t be doing all this if they weren’t expecting a cash success story.

Wherever the dog relief areas are located, I'm assuming the whole resort grounds are available for walking dogs? (Let's face it dogs need exercise.) If so, that does mean dogs will be throughout these resorts and not just in restricted blocks and dog relief areas. I noticed on the Disney parks blog, someone mentioned dogs should be required to be muzzled and on controlled length leashes. The latter, especially, seems important to me.

The actual Disney policy reads, "Please leash or restrain your dogs at all times while in public spaces on Resort property."

..."Leash OR RESTRAIN" - what does that mean? And it doesn't say "must be leashed" it says "please leash", which I know sounds pedantic, but these things do influence how seriously people follow rules, especially when they'd rather not!

Yes to the controlled length leashes. That should absolutely be required. Many dog owners don't seem to understand using those extend a leashes allow the dog to be far enough away that they are not actually under their control. I despise those leashes with a passion. Used them with fosters but never with people around, just in our yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter