Trip insurance...just in case...

doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
So as we get closer to paying off PCC3.0 and planning our post-cruise itinerary, my thoughts turned towards getting down there...and got a little dark...

Lots of stuff, might ramble a little...

Our kids have their dance recital on the Saturday, so we couldn't get flights down until that evening. We'll be crashing at the airport hotel, and then getting a van over to the port.

But what if there are flight problems? I don't know how likely that would be at that time of year, but after discussing worst-case scenarios at work this week, I'm stuck thinking about this now. We don't have any real leeway. If our flight fails to leave that night, we'd have to leave by late morning I believe to make it. I've never had to deal with rebooking flights due to weather, etc. before. Never had a cruise cost on the line before. :)

What is the latest we can board? What are the odds of being able to get a flight in the morning?

In looking at trip insurance, I was going to ask about not making it time for boarding...but re-reading some of the clauses, which very hard to follow in some cases, it appears that it is covered either under "missing a connection" or "trip delay that affects more than 50% of trip" clauses. I'm guessing I wouldn't have to worry but some assurance could be helpful...it's difficult to read them.

Tracey at DU told me what the cost is for the DCL coverage, and also gave me a link to www.insuremytrip.com, which gives basic quotes from various providers, with plans that seem cheaper than DCL. Has anyone used one of these before that they'd recommend?

Any other things I should be thinking about?

I'm mostly concerned about coverage of the cruise. We are staying post-cruise for a number of days on points, using YES tickets for the parks, etc. Even though the YES tickets are not refundable, I expect that if we DO miss the cruise, we'll still come down later, find some place to stay, and possibly hit some of the other places like Universal (can't add days to the YES tickets).

YES. Get insurance. The website Tracey mentioned is a good place. Since DCL costs $$, you definitely want to cover the trip.

I've had to use the trip cancellation coverage and the medical coverage. Medical can add up really quickly, since most health ins don't cover cruise and out-of-country.

Come down the night before, if you can. So much less stress about possibly missing the ship. Will also give leeway if a flight gets delayed/cancelled.

Popping this back up...anyone have any recommendations on the vendors and levels offered?

I buy my insurance from the Trip Insurance Store (www.tripinsurancestore.com). Same idea as InsureMyTrip.com - but with fewer companies to wade through. DCL's insurance doesn't cover pre-existing conditions. I want to have the waiver of pre-existing conditions, because I have family members (non-traveling in-laws) who have health issues. The policy I buy depends on whether I insure the trip within the first 14-30 days after making my first trip payment or later than that. If I buy my insurance later, I usually get CSA because it covers pre-existing conditions as long as it is purchased within 24 hours of making the final trip payment.

I don't buy trip insurance for domestic land trips, but then I usually don't book resort packages. Cruises are different, because they're fully paid for in advance and the cancellation penalties are steep. Travel is outside the US, and my health insurance doesn't cover me outside the US.

Doing CSA this time. Also have to make sure insurance covers pre-existing. They're a little more $$, but can wait until PIF to get it.

When I was comparing what's covered and the rates among several insurance companies for my cruise next year my own insurance company (USAA) got me the best rate for the coverage. They go thru a 3rd party but apparently get/give (?) a discount. You may want to see if your insurance company does the same thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!