Trip length - splitting hotels

NanMar

Mouseketeer
How short or long did you stay, would you stay for more or less time? Have you stayed at Aulani and another hotel during the same trip?

We've been 3 times. 1st trip was our honeymoon and w stayed 21 nights. 2nd trip was 14 nights and 3rd trip was 16 nights. We found 16 nights to be a nice amount of time for us b/c it gives us some travel recovery leeway. We're coming in from NY. Of course, if possible, we'd go for 21 nights again in a heartbeat. Ideally, I wouldn't go for less than 2 weeks, but I guess a lot of that also depends on how far you're traveling to get there. We've stayed solely at Aulani in our time there. We had no issues getting around the island (be sure to rent a car), we just had to be aware of traffic patterns at certain times. In all of the time we've been there, we've only gone into Honolulu/Waikiki like 4 times so it hasn't been an issue for us to not be staying in there. If your group has more interest in spending a lot of time in Honolulu/Waikiki then splitting your stay and staying in there may be beneficial to you. For us, staying at Aulani the whole time has been perfect.

We stayed at Aulani for 6 nights as part of our Honeymoon, but we were in Hawaii for a total of 16 nights. I think our time at Aulani was just right. We did every other day as a resort day. We also spent 3 nights in Waikiki where we did that area, Diamond Head, and Pearl Harbor so we didn't have those things to worry about during our time at Aulani.

If we return again, I'd probably stay the whole time at Aulani while on Oahu and just visit Waikiki for a night. I wouldn't do Diamond Head or Pearl Harbor a second time.

I wouldn't do Diamond Head or Pearl Harbor a second time.
What??!? You wouldn't turn your ankles, shred your knees, die of heat exhaustion, and sweat like a pig again??!? Well gosh, I can't imagine why!! LOL Glad I did it once, and have some amazing pics, but unless I knew I'd be the only one (or one of just a few) up there, I totally agree.

We did 5 Aulani nights, with two off-resort days, with 9 nights on other islands. I thought that was pretty great too, although another night or two anyplace would've been amazing.

What??!? You wouldn't turn your ankles, shred your knees, die of heat exhaustion, and sweat like a pig again??!? Well gosh, I can't imagine why!! LOL Glad I did it once, and have some amazing pics, but unless I knew I'd be the only one (or one of just a few) up there, I totally agree.

LOL!!! I don't hike regularly but consider myself in average shape at age 30, and I was shocked at how hard it was! I underestimated it, considering what a popular tourist attraction it is and the number of reviews I read talking about how easy the hike is. Its a crowded stop and go pathway that's entirely uphill in direct sunlight with a bunch of stairs when you get towards the top. Pretty photos and views, yes, but never again!

LOL!!! I don't hike regularly but consider myself in average shape at age 30, and I was shocked at how hard it was! I underestimated it, considering what a popular tourist attraction it is and the number of reviews I read talking about how easy the hike is. Its a crowded stop and go pathway that's entirely uphill in direct sunlight with a bunch of stairs when you get towards the top. Pretty photos and views, yes, but never again!
My advice to anyone that hasn't done it would be to go first thing in the morning on a weekday. We got there around 7 AM and occasionally we would pass a group or we would get passed but for the most part there was hardly anyone around us until we got to the top. It's not too hot at that time of the day, and there are a bunch of spots to step aside for a quick break and take some pictures if you get tired. Definitely more difficult than I thought it would be, but certainly manageable for most people.

My advice to anyone that hasn't done it would be to go first thing in the morning on a weekday. We got there around 7 AM and occasionally we would pass a group or we would get passed but for the most part there was hardly anyone around us until we got to the top. It's not too hot at that time of the day, and there are a bunch of spots to step aside for a quick break and take some pictures if you get tired. Definitely more difficult than I thought it would be, but certainly manageable for most people.

I'd offer the same advice. We got there around 8am in September, so it was still warm and somewhat humid but the trail wasn't as crowded going up as it was coming down. But of course, coming down is much easier. I'd also advise to wear athletic wear and don't make any plans for afterward. We didn't want to do anything until we could get back to our hotel and take a shower!

We did 7 nights / 8 days (flight out was like 10pm). Spent first 3 nights in Waikiki and last 4 nights at Aulani. We felt like it was a good length for us. But we also don’t normally do long trips as my husband gets annoyed with them.

I have never been to Hawaii - first trip this July. We split it up with 3 nights in Disneyland (we are coming from East Coast) and 5 nights Waikikki and 5 nights Aulani. I MIGHT make it 4 and 6 but to be honest I have a lot planned in Waikiki that just sort of makes sense to stay there.....

We stayed 14 nights. Two nights in Waikiki and then 12 nights at Aulani.

We stayed 3 nights at Waikiki followed by 6 at Aulani. We did all our site seeing during our time at waikki. The only time we ventured out of Aulani was to go to Dole Plantation/North Shore. Next time when we go, we will plan to spend 4-5 nights at Maui followed by 4 nights at Aulani

Coming from the East Coast, we go to Oahu every other year (been 10 times over the last 18 years but also lived on Oahu for 3 years). We don't go for less than 2 weeks.

Last summer I stayed for a month, but that's at the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club next to Aulani (we own there). Being away from home that long was a bit of a challenge, though, so from now on we'll do 2 weeks. I have a pool at home, so having someone check on it and the house was a pain.

Not sure if you were planning on staying on Oahu for the entire trip, but when we were in Hawaii in May for 2 weeks we flew into Honolulu and stayed overnight at the Royal Hawaiian and caught a midmorning plane to Kuaui for 4 nights. Then hopped a plane for 3 nights on Maui returning for 7 nights at Aulani. During our stay at Aulani we spent one entire day on the Big Island by taking the 5:00 AM Hawaiian Air flight. We did a lava boat tour and a Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour while on the Big Island. For us, wanting to see as much as we could in case our trip to Hawaii was a "one and done", we planned for 2 weeks but would have loved to stay for 1 more week. Depending on what you would like to see and/or how many islands you would like to visit, I would say you should plan on at least a 10-day trip. Similar to a PP, we are also from the east coast and felt like we just needed the 2 weeks so that we did not feel rushed.

DieHardJoe did you like the Royal Hawaiian? I was thinking of staying there or Moana Surfrider while at Waikikiki before Aulani check in. Currently I am booked at Outrigger beach b/c of a crazy good deal I got but really like the look of the other 2 properties. Hoping for a Starwood Deal..Do you still think you are 1 and done for Hawaii? That is my plan as well. This was a trip my DD18 wants to do and none of us are beach people - we enjoy a day or two but 10 nights feels long enough for me after our 3 night stop at Disneyland...So I too and trying to pack the 10 days FULL so when I leave I either fell in love with it and will return or feel satisfied having "done what I set out to do..."

Do you still think you are 1 and done for Hawaii?
I'm not sure we were even on the plane coming home when I said to my wife we need to come back here! We rented a car on all 4 islands and felt like we saw a lot, but we know there is much more to see, though if we get a chance to come back I think it will be more laid back and not quite so gung ho where we were feeling like we didn't want to miss anything.

As for the Royal Hawaiian, like you, it was between that and the Moana Surfrider, and similar to you, we took the best deal. Plus it was only one night. So we figured no big deal if we didn't like it. But we thought it was great (though maybe just a little dated, but still very nice), and loved having the Mai Tai bar right out back abutting the beach.

We visited Oahu a few years ago and split our time between Aulani for 6 nights and the Hilton Hawaiian Village for 6 nights. I would save your sightseeing for the Waikiki time, since you'd mostly be opposite the traffic. Aulani is so much more expensive than Waikiki, I hated leaving the resort. We actually live here now and the North Shore and Dole Plantation would be easier from Aulani, should you want to sightsee (just wait and leave around 9am). Pearl Harbor takes about the same time coming from Waikiki as it does from Kapolei (traffic not considered), but if you are doing Pearl early in the day, you will have lots of traffic all the way into the Harbor. If you do Pearl late in the day, you will be fighting traffic all the way back into Kapolei. Southbound H1 stays backed up until about 830. Northbound starts getting congested around 230-3. We plan everything around the traffic. I go to one Costco in the morning and the other one if it's the afternoon. ;) I would suggest doing Waikiki first and then enjoying a retreat at Aulani after the hectic pace of Waikiki. A lot of people don't realize how urban Waikiki is. We did the opposite and found ourselves missing Aulani the whole time we were in Waikiki because it was so crazy down there. Don't get me wrong, Waikiki is fun and there's lots to do, but it's not particularly relaxing. Some of the hotels down closer to Diamond Head are a little more chill, but especially around Royal Hawaiian/Outrigger/Sheraton it's nutty. Hilton Hawaiian Village is fun, but it's also covered up in people. Do take time to travel to the Windward side, if even to just drive and come back. The view coming over H1 through the tunnel is still amazing to me and I do it all the time. You might think about staying in Waikiki for a bit, staying on the Windward side in an airbnb and then moving to Aulani. It would be easier to do Kualoa, PCC and some of the east side hikes from Kailua/Kaneohe. We did a staycation at a little boutique place called Paradise Bay north of Kaneohe and it was lovely and the exact opposite of Waikiki.

We did 7 nights (saturday to saturday) and while I would like to have stayed longer, we still had an amazing trip.

Next time we'd like to do 10 days but we will need to split our time since Aulani is so pricey. We will probably do 3 nights North Shore 7 nights Aulani. Or make a stop at the big island for volcano national park.

We visited Oahu a few years ago and split our time between Aulani for 6 nights and the Hilton Hawaiian Village for 6 nights. I would save your sightseeing for the Waikiki time, since you'd mostly be opposite the traffic. Aulani is so much more expensive than Waikiki, I hated leaving the resort. We actually live here now and the North Shore and Dole Plantation would be easier from Aulani, should you want to sightsee (just wait and leave around 9am). Pearl Harbor takes about the same time coming from Waikiki as it does from Kapolei (traffic not considered), but if you are doing Pearl early in the day, you will have lots of traffic all the way into the Harbor. If you do Pearl late in the day, you will be fighting traffic all the way back into Kapolei. Southbound H1 stays backed up until about 830. Northbound starts getting congested around 230-3. We plan everything around the traffic. I go to one Costco in the morning and the other one if it's the afternoon. ;) I would suggest doing Waikiki first and then enjoying a retreat at Aulani after the hectic pace of Waikiki. A lot of people don't realize how urban Waikiki is. We did the opposite and found ourselves missing Aulani the whole time we were in Waikiki because it was so crazy down there. Don't get me wrong, Waikiki is fun and there's lots to do, but it's not particularly relaxing. Some of the hotels down closer to Diamond Head are a little more chill, but especially around Royal Hawaiian/Outrigger/Sheraton it's nutty. Hilton Hawaiian Village is fun, but it's also covered up in people. Do take time to travel to the Windward side, if even to just drive and come back. The view coming over H1 through the tunnel is still amazing to me and I do it all the time. You might think about staying in Waikiki for a bit, staying on the Windward side in an airbnb and then moving to Aulani. It would be easier to do Kualoa, PCC and some of the east side hikes from Kailua/Kaneohe. We did a staycation at a little boutique place called Paradise Bay north of Kaneohe and it was lovely and the exact opposite of Waikiki.

All of you going to Oahu and considering splitting your time between Waikiki and Aulani, read this post-very true, extremely insightful, especially gearing your movement around traffic timing.

All of you going to Oahu and considering splitting your time between Waikiki and Aulani, read this post-very true, extremely insightful, especially gearing your movement around traffic timing.
Thanks for the great info! We will be doing Waikiki for New Years.....any suggestions for 2- 50 something and 4- early 20 year olds?!?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!