Trip of a Lifetime Needs to Be Cancelled

rrsafety

Mouseketeer
My mother-in-law organized a trip to WDW for her husband, brother and sister-in-law. Got the bands, picked her Fastpass rides, made her dinner reservations, staying at the Grand Floridian, etc. On Monday she had a cancer diagnosis and begins chemo end of next week. Given the severity of the diagnosis, she will not ever be going to Disney. We are trying to figure out next steps on her behalf as she is focused on her health. She probably has almost $2,000 in Disney tickets she paid for. How does one go about getting a refund from Disney?

A similar situation happened to my family but instead of going to Disney, my mum and dad had organised a 2 month retirement celebration trip to Australia and New Zealand. Everything booked and many things paid in full, flights, hotels, car hire, attraction tickets etc etc . 2 months before departure my dad was diagnosed with cancer and everything was cancelled. They had travel insurance and claimed everything back. Anything that wasnt covered by travel insurance, people were ever so nice and refunded without question once the situition was explained.

Ring Disney and be extremely honest and tell them about the cancer diagnosis. When its a genuine situation like a cancer diagnosis people will do whatever they can for you.

Disney is really good about helping out in situations. When the Army decided a few years ago that we had to move a week before we were supposed to go to Disney (and let us know a month before the move!) I had to cancel my trip. I had tickets for MVMCP and knew they weren't refundable so I asked for an address that I could send them to for a CM to use as Pixie Dust for some family. The CM talked to his manager and actually got the money refunded for me!! I was shocked. Give them a call, they will likely do anything they can for you.

My mother-in-law organized a trip to WDW for her husband, brother and sister-in-law. Got the bands, picked her Fastpass rides, made her dinner reservations, staying at the Grand Floridian, etc. On Monday she had a cancer diagnosis and begins chemo end of next week. Given the severity of the diagnosis, she will not ever be going to Disney. We are trying to figure out next steps on her behalf as she is focused on her health. She probably has almost $2,000 in Disney tickets she paid for. How does one go about getting a refund from Disney?

I have no clue about a refund. This just makes me sad to hear....because of her cancer and because she'll never get to go to Disney. :sad1: :( Call Disney though, I bet under this circumstance they will work with you the best that they can. Good luck.

We will give it a try and report back. Not sure why electronic tickets llike that aren't refundable or transferable. Things happen to people ALL the time and it seems Disney just profits from it. I understand why airlines do it because they have dynamic pricing that goes up and down. Disney does not.

First off. So sorry. You won’t get a refund. You might get a credit though. Did you buy trip insurance?. That is key

First off. So sorry. You won’t get a refund. You might get a credit though. Did you buy trip insurance?. That is key
I think she had insurance on the flights but not the entire trip.
Are credits transferable? Given the situation, if they aren't transferable then credits are the same as taking her money.

We will give it a try and report back. Not sure why electronic tickets llike that aren't refundable or transferable. Things happen to people ALL the time and it seems Disney just profits from it. I understand why airlines do it because they have dynamic pricing that goes up and down. Disney does not.
Tickets that haven't been used can be reassigned to someone else. It's very easy to do with via MDE.

Tickets that haven't been used can be reassigned to someone else. It's very easy to do with via MDE.
That is my understanding also. Very sad news for your family. Positive thoughts for your family navigating the very difficult news and days ahead.:grouphug:

Electronic tickets purchased from Disney and never used can be reassigned very easily through My Disney Experience. You can get help with this from the internet technical help department. Also, you may, instead, be able to receive a full refund. I know someone who asked and received a similar ticket refund when he called to say he had to cancel because he was getting married and not able to also do the planned Disney World trip. Good luck, and I’m so sorry this trip had to be cancelled.

Thanks all for your wonderful input and for your kind thoughts. Given the situation, she has decided to forgo chemo and go on the trip so she'll be using those tickets after all. I think her decision to focus on the quality rather than quantity of time is the right one.

Thanks all for your wonderful input and for your kind thoughts. Given the situation, she has decided to forgo chemo and go on the trip so she'll be using those tickets after all. I think her decision to focus on the quality rather than quantity of time is the right one.

So glad she decided to go and make the best of it.. I would hope that would be my decision also?? hard to say unless it happens to you. wishing the best for her...

I hope you all make wonderful memories together...

On the insurance front, might want to check with her credit card company (assuming she charged the remaining part of the trip). Lots of them have travel insurance as a benefit but people don't know it.

Best of luck to you and your family going forward.

I am very sorry for what your family is going through but I think your mother in law is making a good decision. When my mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, I struggled with her decision to not get chemo to prolong her life but I now realize that was the best and only decision for her. Chemo is very difficult and I understand wanting to focus on enjoying life and not prolonging death (which I know isn’t the case for everybody). I hope they have the most amazing magical and memorable trip. I am sure the memories they make will be ones that will give comfort to her husband and brother down the line. I wish your family all the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter