Trip Report! ABD Danube River Cruise w/Prague Add-on !!UPDATED!! 9/17/17 Re-posted all the Photos!!

I loved our Passau stop!! I didn't do a Disney cruise, but one with all adults thru another company. Oh that cathedral. The most beautiful I ever saw. And there was a great bakery right next door!
I missed the bakery! Oh, well! :) I really enjoyed Passau, too. Pretty town, gorgeous cathedral!

I've been waiting for this! So good and so interesting about the treetop place.
Thanks! And sorry to have kept you waiting! :)

Thanks! For some reason or another I slept through this entire day so it was nice to get the details on Passau and the tree walk. DH and I walked in Passau and he remembered about a 1/3 of what you did so you filled in the gaps. I'm excited to see your photos of Prague (hint hint :)).
Glad you enjoyed! I'm hoping to have the Prague pictures up soon. I really want to finish this report before I go to China!!

Looks like a great day and love seeing pics of some of my former guides. Your blouse is wonderful!
It is fun seeing Guides you know in other people's reports! :) And thanks about the blouse. It took me quite a while to find one I actually liked, and I think it's a really nice one. :)

Sayhello

Last edited:
Love the pictures AGAIN! Sayhello. It is funny when we did our Tauck river cruise we also did the marzipan activity. (not one of my favorites). We were able to have a tour of the organ and the church organist played while we sat around the organ on the balcony. They even let the kids plunk a couple keys. It is an amazing organ as well as church and if I remember correctly it is the seventh largest organ in the world or so I was told. Passau is a beautiful city but it also brings back some sad memories for it is almost the end of the trip.

Love the pictures AGAIN! Sayhello. It is funny when we did our Tauck river cruise we also did the marzipan activity. (not one of my favorites). We were able to have a tour of the organ and the church organist played while we sat around the organ on the balcony. They even let the kids plunk a couple keys. It is an amazing organ as well as church and if I remember correctly it is the seventh largest organ in the world or so I was told. Passau is a beautiful city but it also brings back some sad memories for it is almost the end of the trip.
Aw, thanks, carpenta! :) The marzipan activity was fun, but definitely not my favorite, also. Your experience with the organ sounds fabulous! Very jealous! :)

And that's true about the end of the trip thing -- except I did the Prague add-on, so there's more trip! :D

Sayhello

I love your trip report. I don't think I would have even considered something like this until you actually read peoples experiences. Can't wait to read about Prague.

I love your trip report. I don't think I would have even considered something like this until you actually read peoples experiences. Can't wait to read about Prague.
Aw, thanks! Glad you're enjoying it! This was really a great trip! I hope to have the first day in Prague up by this weekend.

Sayhello

Aw, thanks! Glad you're enjoying it! This was really a great trip! I hope to have the first day in Prague up by this weekend.

Sayhello

It was also kind of funny I was eating apricots in my yogurt and got to the apricot portion of your trip. I would love that farm tour and tasting.

It was also kind of funny I was eating apricots in my yogurt and got to the apricot portion of your trip. I would love that farm tour and tasting.
It was a really great excursion. :) The Guides really raved about it.

Sayhello

I finally caught up with your trip report. Passau looks beautiful. Looks like you had a great time. Are you considering the Rhine now? I go back and forth on River cruises. I like the idea unpacking just once like a traditional cruise, and seeing some of these areas of Europe that obviously ocean cruises can't go. Even the idea of sailing slowly down the river seems very appealing. But then I really like getting to know my travel family and the guides, which seems easier to do on a land tour.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Prague!

I finally caught up with your trip report. Passau looks beautiful. Looks like you had a great time. Are you considering the Rhine now? I go back and forth on River cruises. I like the idea unpacking just once like a traditional cruise, and seeing some of these areas of Europe that obviously ocean cruises can't go. Even the idea of sailing slowly down the river seems very appealing. But then I really like getting to know my travel family and the guides, which seems easier to do on a land tour.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Prague!
I am definitely thinking about another River cruise, it's a great way to travel, but probably not with ABD. First off, I got a special for the Danube cruise; a 50% single supplement instead of the normal 100% single supplement they charge for the River cruises. I just can't afford or justify that cost. I've seen many special offers from River cruise companies (including AmaWaterways) for no single supplement, so when/if I do another one, I'll wait for something like that and book directly with the cruise company. Plus, as you say, it's missing one my favorite aspects of ABD, which is getting to know your fellow travelers and the Guides. So when I'm booking another ABD, it's probably going to be a land tour.

Sayhello

I forgot.. or didn't know ABD normally has a 100% single supplement. I wonder if bookings are truly strong enough to justify that. I couldn't rationalize that either.

I've never done a cruise of any kind, so thank you so much for sharing yours. Great photos and wonderful descriptions!

I forgot.. or didn't know ABD normally has a 100% single supplement. I wonder if bookings are truly strong enough to justify that. I couldn't rationalize that either.
For the ABD land tours, it's a 40% single supplement. It's only 100% for the River cruises.

I've never done a cruise of any kind, so thank you so much for sharing yours. Great photos and wonderful descriptions!
Thanks! You are so welcome, glad you are enjoying. More soon! :)

Sayhello

Since we are not doing the pre-night with ABD, what time do you recommend getting to the ship? We are spending the night in Zurich and will take the train to Basel the morning our cruise starts. It's approx. 50 minutes by train and they run every hour, so we have plenty of options.
What are your thoughts?
I was thinking it might be nice to check-in at the ship and walk around Basel a bit before the afternoon departure. I'm sure my kids will just want to stay on the ship though!

Since we are not doing the pre-night with ABD, what time do you recommend getting to the ship? We are spending the night in Zurich and will take the train to Basel the morning our cruise starts. It's approx. 50 minutes by train and they run every hour, so we have plenty of options.
What are your thoughts?
I was thinking it might be nice to check-in at the ship and walk around Basel a bit before the afternoon departure. I'm sure my kids will just want to stay on the ship though!
The last bus to the ship left the Marriott at around 3pm, and it took, I think, 20 minutes or so to get there. They had afternoon tea set up. After we got our rooms & cleaned up, we sat around & talked & had hors d'oeuvres for a good long while before anything started. Assuming the Rhine works the same way, you probably want to be on the ship by 4, would be a good guess. I don't remember the timing exactly. :)

ETA: I should look at my own report! :) The "reception" with the hors d'oeuvres was at 5:30pm. That's when they gave the Safety Lecture and introduced the crew and the Adventure Guides.

Sayhello

Last edited:
The last bus to the ship left the Marriott at around 3pm, and it took, I think, 20 minutes or so to get there. They had afternoon tea set up. After we got our rooms & cleaned up, we sat around & talked & had hors d'oeuvres for a good long while before anything started. Assuming the Rhine works the same way, you probably want to be on the ship by 4, would be a good guess. I don't remember the timing exactly. :)

ETA: I should look at my own report! :) The "reception" with the hors d'oeuvres was at 5:30pm. That's when they gave the Safety Lecture and introduced the crew and the Adventure Guides.

Sayhello

Thank you. I can already imagine the kids won't want to leave the ship once we get there, so that will leave me free to head off to explore a bit of Basel before departure (I will drag my teenage daughter with me regardless). My tentative plan is to take the 10:00am train from Zurich to Basel which should have us on the boat by 11:30am, noon at the latest.

We leave one month from today! I can hardly believe it. We booked the cruise on opening day last year.

Thank you. I can already imagine the kids won't want to leave the ship once we get there, so that will leave me free to head off to explore a bit of Basel before departure (I will drag my teenage daughter with me regardless). My tentative plan is to take the 10:00am train from Zurich to Basel which should have us on the boat by 11:30am, noon at the latest.

We leave one month from today! I can hardly believe it. We booked the cruise on opening day last year.
I know how you feel! My China trip is in 2 1/2 weeks! I booked it opening day last year, also.

Sayhello

Thank you so much for doing this report! It was so nice to relive it with all the details! It was such a special trip for my mom, daughter and I.
We often look back at the pictures and can't believe we were there! My daughter still says she misses it so much! I hope one day she realizes how fortunate we were to take this trip of a lifetime! My mom enjoyed it so much she is taking my niece on a Rhine River cruise through AMA waterways this June!
Enjoy your China trip!

Thank you so much for doing this report! It was so nice to relive it with all the details! It was such a special trip for my mom, daughter and I.
We often look back at the pictures and can't believe we were there! My daughter still says she misses it so much! I hope one day she realizes how fortunate we were to take this trip of a lifetime! My mom enjoyed it so much she is taking my niece on a Rhine River cruise through AMA waterways this June!
Enjoy your China trip!
So glad you're enjoying my Trip Report! :) I like to relive the trip through my reports, too! As a kid, we traveled alot around the western US, but never left the country. I think it's wonderful you're giving your daughter this experience!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!