Trip with 3 and 5 year old?

sethschroeder

DIS Veteran
So we were to Universal a number of years ago but this would be our first trip with kids. Where would you stay, ways to save money with discounts, is it worth going with kids who are 3 and 5?

We have been to Disney a couple times and a couple cruises with the kids and I was thinking about possibly doing Universal in January 13-22. Last time we stay at a Universal Hotel to get the early access and the express pass included in our stay.

Group:
2 Adults, 2 Kids OR 2 Seniors, 2 Adults, 2 Kids
We would want separate sleeping rooms for the adults and kids
We would want to be able to easily get to and from the parks
Kids like pools (heated to a good temp or a little too cool?)

We might partner with a Legoland stay as not sure there is enough for that long of a stay.

As I am starting to look I am realizing the pricing is not as affordable as I was thinking it might be. Seemingly more than Disney if we stay DVC and likely more expensive by a fair bit over a cruise.

Looks like we would be over $10k.

I think we will wait for the kids to be a little older than and the new park to have opened.

As I am starting to look I am realizing the pricing is not as affordable as I was thinking it might be. Seemingly more than Disney if we stay DVC and likely more expensive by a fair bit over a cruise.

I think we will wait for the kids to be a little older than and the new park to have opened.
those are hard ages to plan for Universal. We did a couple of trips when our 2 were those ages, and just a little older, and there was quite a bit of splitting up. One was tall enough for rides the other wasn't, etc. We also spent a lot of time in the water play areas, and the Curious George ball shooting place, which was totally fun, but not necessarily the goal of a pricey theme park trip. We went because we, the adults, wanted to go and ride stuff, do WWoHP, etc. Universal/IoA do have excellent child swap areas/rooms. We had great times for sure, but it was mostly adults riding rides. Lots of fun at the hotel pools too.
Hope you'll revisit Univeral plans. We're DVC too, but when we do Universal, we prefer to stay in their 'bubble,' This past year was our first time doing a Universal AP (waiting on you Mouse......,) and we had 4 fabulous and fun Universal/IoA trips. Kids are older now, and LOVE the thrill rides. Have also now stayed at all resorts except Dockside. We're used to 1 or 2 bedrooms at DVC, but at Universal, opt for standard rooms. Don't love that, more of a regularhotel room feel, but the resorts are wonderful!!!
Good luck w future plans. Learned so, so much on these Universal forums for sure!

Because you are staying over 7 nights you would be eligible for the 30% savy traveler discount. You probably needed to book a few months ago to get that discount.

If the trip is mainly a vacation for the little kids to enjoy a theme park then I would go with Disney at their ages.

Sure 3-5 year olds can have a good time at Universal while traveling with older kids or adults that have Universal/Harry Potter as a dream destination. But there are far more rides for kids age 7+.

If the vacation is mainly for a family with very young children only, Disney totally wins IMO.

Save Universal for a few years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter