Tripods

jimim

DIS Veteran
I really need a better tripod for trips to Disney. I'll only be using it at night. I don't want a huge tripod. I need to be able to get it low to the ground and just have very free motion.

Can you guys give me some starting points of brands and what you all look for and like in what you use? There are just soooooo many brands and types out there. I'm not trying to be lazy but I need some focus and I don't really know a lot of about them on what I need to look for.

I don't want to spend 5-600 dollars either. I don't mind spending a decent amount of money but just don't want to get silly either. The one I use now can't hold the weight of my 7D with various lens on. It's old. Very old. It's time for a new one.

This trip I'm going to be able to break away on my own cause we are traveling with our neighbors so I can easily leave the group at night and take my time.

Thanks!

jimi

Look into 3 Legged Thing's Punks series tripods. I have the Corey model, which I'll be using with my Nikon D800 and my 80-200mm f/2.8D Mk3. They fold up well into backpacks, and they're reasonably-priced.

Never heard of them. That looks like a really nice piece. Looks good too! So small! I like how it has a monopod too. The head locks in Pretty well for keeping the camera still?

Never heard of them. That looks like a really nice piece. Looks good too! So small! I like how it has a monopod too. The head locks in Pretty well for keeping the camera still?
Yes. It's very sturdy, and can withstand the weight of my D800 and 80-200mm f/2.8D very well.

If you don’t need height, I love gorilla pods. Super easy to travel with. Great for low to the ground. For any height, you need to secure it to a railing or something else.

I have both Bogen and Mefoto. Besides the Bogen being a little "deader" than the Mefoto, the latter is pretty comparable (and 40% cheaper).

Which mefoto you guys using? How is the locking mech on them? Do they hold well when locked? Is thier a diff between the classic and s line? I can’t seem to be able to tell?

Basically a choice of the Roadtrip or Backpacker. I have a Roadtrip. The unit is solid and the twist locks are quick and work well. When completely folded, it should fit in most backpacks (per Disney gate reqs). The Backpacker is OK but short. Definitely more of a weight/size choice than anything here. Then again, I'd be a little concerned about putting a regular body with even a 70-200/4 on it. Let alone a 2.8. I'd say needs must when the devil drives but the larger unit is better.

Ok that’s my main worry. Full frame body with a larger zoom like u mention and fast primes on it even. So u say the larger version vs smaller correct?

Think we r going to take a ride one weekend out to the city to go to b&h. Good excuse to walk around the store. Just an awesome awesome place to walk around.

Maybe I can talk my wife letting me finally go full frame too. :)

OMG. I am so jealous - I could spend the day there. Larger is better but fold them up and weigh them and make sure what works for you.

ya that's why i'm thinking a day trip. we can shop and go for dinner. i'm glad i went there to pick my main travel bag out cause I thought I was set until I saw how they had 500 bogs on display so I got to look at diff ones I would have not known about. I ended up with a Kata 3-1N 25. I would never have considered it without seeing it.

it is a crazy large store! just how they handle the logistics of purchases is impressive. It's like being in a UPS sorting facility.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter