*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Oh, there's gotta be a good story here.

Please, do tell...

What!? That's it? Just wouldn't sell them the truck? But... Where's the drama!?

Dang!

Aight...tell us about the Dodge...Did Frank threaten to beat anybody with a cane fishing pole?

Last edited:
Our 2006 is a basic truck. We added a few options this time. White 2500 Cummins, power windows, locks and mirrors. A back-up camera and park assist system. Integrated trailer brake controller. The chrome wheels and 18 inch tires. Spray in bed liner. Nothing fancy, practical, comfortable from point A to point B.

The backup camera is one thing that now that I have it, I don't know how I survived without it.

Park assist huh? Have to let me know on that one.

My First truck was an F-150 and it had back up sensors and I loved it. (No visual, just audible) now the current truck is an F-250 with sensors AND a camera. Like you Michael, I don't know how I lived without it. It's also great for hitching up. I can actually do it fairly quickly by my self now. as I get closer, I can change the "Angle" of the camera to looking straight down. I absolutely love it.

Denise, I will tell you that when we got our F-250, I wanted the sprayed in bed liner. It was an extra $400 (or so) and it was worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY! I love it. I haul pallets of coal during heating season from the dealer to home. I have also picked up gravel (multiple times) as well as mulch. No Damage. I don't even worry about it. It's another "I gotta have it" item for us now.

My First truck was an F-150 and it had back up sensors and I loved it. (No visual, just audible) now the current truck is an F-250 with sensors AND a camera. Like you Michael, I don't know how I lived without it. It's also great for hitching up. I can actually do it fairly quickly by my self now. as I get closer, I can change the "Angle" of the camera to looking straight down. I absolutely love it.

Denise, I will tell you that when we got our F-250, I wanted the sprayed in bed liner. It was an extra $400 (or so) and it was worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY! I love it. I haul pallets of coal during heating season from the dealer to home. I have also picked up gravel (multiple times) as well as mulch. No Damage. I don't even worry about it. It's another "I gotta have it" item for us now.
Do the sensors pick up the camper when in reverse?

Do the sensors pick up the camper when in reverse?

I have a 2015 Silverado 2500HD so my sensors may be different ... Yes, the sensors alert when backing up the camper but the camera also alerts. On the Silverado, there is a switch that allows the user to turn off the parking sensors.

On my f-250 it alerts for the trailer but you can select to disable it. Unless you turn the key off it remains disabled.

So where are all my 5er guru's. What is the best hitch to use to pull your trailer with. I am now in the market for a hitch, rails are factory installed and I guess pretty standard ??

Chris,

First thing you'll need to find out what hitches will fit on your factory rails. My 2011 F350 was one of the first Fords with the factory rails and they would only work with the Ford hitch or the Reese Elite $eries. Since 2011, several others are now making hitches that fit. I have a B&W 20K currently. It does a decent job. It does have the double jaws like a Reese. I'm not crazy about that design. I've seen too many trucks with smashed rails from Reese jaws that weren't locked. My old hitch that used traditional bed rails was a RBW Lil'Rocker. I still have it, but it won't work with my current truck or trailer (only rated to 15K). It uses a slide bar to lock the pin in. No question if you were hitched and no possible way for it to pull open.

I don't remember if you have a short bed, but there are "slider" hitches that literally slide to the rear to give you more distance when turning tight. My first 2 trucks were short beds and I never had one. Never really needed one, but for some, it's peace of mind.

Here's a link to the B&W I have now.

j

Chris,

First thing you'll need to find out what hitches will fit on your factory rails. My 2011 F350 was one of the first Fords with the factory rails and they would only work with the Ford hitch or the Reese Elite $eries. Since 2011, several others are now making hitches that fit. I have a B&W 20K currently. It does a decent job. It does have the double jaws like a Reese. I'm not crazy about that design. I've seen too many trucks with smashed rails from Reese jaws that weren't locked. My old hitch that used traditional bed rails was a RBW Lil'Rocker. I still have it, but it won't work with my current truck or trailer (only rated to 15K). It uses a slide bar to lock the pin in. No question if you were hitched and no possible way for it to pull open.

I don't remember if you have a short bed, but there are "slider" hitches that literally slide to the rear to give you more distance when turning tight. My first 2 trucks were short beds and I never had one. Never really needed one, but for some, it's peace of mind.

Here's a link to the B&W I have now.

j

No the truck has an 8 foot bed, so it is not important that it be a slider hitch, and yes it will need to be a 18 or 20k rating.

So where are all my 5er guru's. What is the best hitch to use to pull your trailer with. I am now in the market for a hitch, rails are factory installed and I guess pretty standard ??

Do you have the Ford puck system? If so, B&W is the only hitch I'd consider.

Do you have the Ford puck system? If so, B&W is the only hitch I'd consider.
No my truck has rails installed, which seems are an industry standard. I ordered a BW Patriot 18K, that will be in next Monday.

Question for the 5th wheel owners ... I have a Silverado 2500HD with the 6-1/2 foot bed. Is a sliding type 5th wheel hitch necessary?

My first 2 trucks were short beds. I towed 5ers for a combined decade with them and never was in a position I needed one. My first truck, I had the hitch rails mounted to the rear a couple of inches. The second truck had the rails right over the rear axle (where they say to mount them).

If you have tight spaces you will be routinely going or parking it at home, it would be handy. Some get a slider simply for peace of mind, saying you never know when you might need it. I'm too cheap for the once in a thousand situations. And again, never needed one in 10 years of short beds.

j

I have a 2500HD with the 6-1/2' bed. I do not have a slider and so far have never needed one. We currently have a over-cab rack that comes up from the front of the bed, which takes about another 6" of space. The 5th wheel gets closer now, but I just keep a closer eye on it. So far, so good. Everyone's situation is different, but we have not been in places that tight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter