*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Well, at one of those curves...it happened. The Dodge with his Dumbo ears let out met a F-350 with his ears let out too.

I know I shouldn't laugh but your right, when you are not towing......slide those mirrors in. And your adjective to describe the Dodge mirrors.........well.........I just cant help myself.......:rotfl2:

When not towing i slide mine in for that reason. That is funny.

Even when we are parked we use the break away feature to push them in.

@tiggerdad The thing is with the RAM it's cool to keep the side mirrors out and up at all times. However right there, the Ford mirror depending on the year model and mirror level (power options) just cost upwards of about 1000 bucks. The Ram is probably going to be cheaper around 500 or so.

I mean, I hate it for both of them, I really do. However, it could have been easily avoided.

Well the trailer is in the shop to get fixed. The tongue needs some TLC. While the wife and I are waiting for that bill, we are now looking at the next trailer. It depends on how high the bill is and what we can pay down on the trailer. Hershey RV show is in about 6 weeks from now.

Well the trailer is in the shop to get fixed. The tongue needs some TLC. While the wife and I are waiting for that bill, we are now looking at the next trailer. It depends on how high the bill is and what we can pay down on the trailer. Hershey RV show is in about 6 weeks from now.

Hershey Show will be here before you know it, and a few Diser's will be in attendance.

Well the trailer's tongue was fixed. We were out at Knoebel's for a few days. Since most of the locals are back to school and work, it felt like you had the park to yourself. It was nice. I did have an unplanned repair on the tow vehicle. I noticed a different sound coming from the front brakes. Turns out I replaced front pads and a driver's side caliper. Nothing I could not handle but it was right after I picked the trailer up from storage and right before we left. Our dispatch time was delayed by a couple of hours. However, the trailer towed well and I got decent gas mileage going out. It came in around 8.3 MPG and back home we hit 9.0 MPG. So I was really happy with that in the hills of PA. My guess that driver's side front had been acting up for awhile.

Well the trailer's tongue was fixed. We were out at Knoebel's for a few days. Since most of the locals are back to school and work, it felt like you had the park to yourself. It was nice. I did have an unplanned repair on the tow vehicle. I noticed a different sound coming from the front brakes. Turns out I replaced front pads and a driver's side caliper. Nothing I could not handle but it was right after I picked the trailer up from storage and right before we left. Our dispatch time was delayed by a couple of hours. However, the trailer towed well and I got decent gas mileage going out. It came in around 8.3 MPG and back home we hit 9.0 MPG. So I was really happy with that in the hills of PA. My guess that driver's side front had been acting up for awhile.
Glad it wasn't too major.

We Love Knoebels. Their Campground, though.... Maybe not so much. Kind of "Cramped" when we had our 27 footer.... Now we are pushing 38 feet, we have not had that one there. Granted we only stayed their during the "BUSY" time. It is a "Nice" location though relative to the park, which we also love. Of course, for us, Knoebels is an easy "Day Trip" since it's a little over an hour drive for us, so we don't need to do the Campground (although, it's still nice to enjoy the park in the evening and not have to rush out to get home).

Just a side note to Knoebels. Not sure if you buy the tickets or the Wrist band. For us it depends (since DW and I only ride on a select few rides, we almost never get the Wrist band). Anyway, you can get a "$20" Ticket book for "$16" (prior to about Labor Day) by stopping at a customer service counter at a "Weis Market" (there is one in Bloomsburg area) and getting them there. This is great since the tickets NEVER expire. If you go there frequently, it's a good choice.

They also sell the tickets at the parks for $18 (for the $20 book) during the week. (and/or during less busy times) but weekends is almost always full price ticket costs.

@peg110 You need to book for the Canadian Provinces. Those handle your big rig. One of the trailers we were looking at was at 37 foot which to me is just too much. I am trying to turn my wife around to the a similar or slightly smaller. I know you are basically in the backyard for Knoebel's. We are just over 2 hours with no traffic. It's usually a nice ride out to the park. We have done Hershey as a day trip but we usually leave around 5 or 6 to make it home by 10 with a dinner stop. We have done the Knoebel's single day trip but its usually too much by the time we leave at 10 PM and there is a 2 hour ride home. We did that several years ago. It was fun and nice.

Weis Markets. yup I know that trick. We usually buy about 10 vouchers. However we have scratch offs we get going to various RV shows. Last year we had 3 free ride band passes. Plus several mini golf and slide upgrades for the pool. It was great. This year we handed off our extras to people standing in line getting the ride bands. We did get a sun down special on Tuesday. We paid $28 but we didn t have our spare coupons since we didn't think we were going to be at the park until closing. We did all the coasters 3 times or more. We broke even by 630 PM after buying them around 430. We literally had no lines any were except Flying Turns or the Bumper cars. We still used about 20 bucks in ride tickets. Now when we go there for Hallow fun, we plan buying ride bands both days since they will be crazy cheap. Last year, we won at Bingo and got 2 free bands plus a ton of ride tickets and food. That was a cheap weekend between the park and the campground.

Howdy ya'll. I thought I would share our news about our RV downsizing. We recently sold the class A. We have a GMC Acadia which hopefully will be our tow vehicle. Yea I know it's not a great choice usually. We have ordered a new Jayco Jay Flight 174BH. This is 21 feet bumper to hitch and weighs 2950 unloaded and a max 3500. It is 7 ft wide and 9 1/2 ft tall including ac. It has no slide out. I am going to get the Equalizer brand WDH, rated 600 lb tongue weight. The travel weight of the trailer will be about 3400 lbs. The recommended 12% tongue weight is 410 lbs. I will load the trailer and adjust the load, weigh it to achieve this target. The 410 lbs plus the height of the hitch head will be about 475 lbs. the Acadia has the factory tow package. The receiver hitch is rated at 600 lbs max. The max tow rating is 5200lbs. The gross combined weight rating is 10200 lbs. The Acadia, passengers, loaded trailer, etc will be 9000 lbs or less. On paper it should tow fine, at least on relatively flat roads (no mountains). We have had two travel trailers in the past so I do have a lot of experience. We will test the rig out here in north east Texas which is typical of most any terrain from here to the Fort. If the Acadia seems to struggle I will sell my older Jeep Cherokee and get a pickup. We have a 2 week trip planned for next year late April and early May. Highlights are 3 nights at the Fort, 3 nights at Geiger Key Marina And RV Park near Key West, and on the way home 2 nights at Henderson State Park in Destin. I will update after towing in October. The trailer is scheduled to be built in the last week of September. For anyone interested, the trailer is the smallest, lightest bunkhouse on the market. We wanted a small camper for the wife and I and have bunks for our 2 small granddaughters to go with us occasionally. We wanted a traditional bathroom (no toilet in the shower), and did not want a pop up or a hybrid. This Jayco fit the bill perfectly for our needs. I have read on other forums, folks pulling larger, heavier trailers than ours with an Acadia and doing good. Oh yea, one more thing, I am installing a ScanGauge ll for monitoring the transmission temp.

Congrats Benton.

That sounds like a pretty good combo. Let me know how you like the Keys camping. I've been to Key West and the lower keys many times and have always wanted to camp.

j

Benton, Congratulations on your new outdoor adventure "home". Generally, folks don't downsize :rolleyes2 but, you have to do what your comfortable doing. We went the other way, starting off with a 18' TT and trading for a 31' FW :smooth:

Then having your mirrors out is just an annoyance and sometimes danger.

Guilty. I was at a job site a few weeks ago, with my 3500 work truck, it seems like I am always pulling a trailer so I leave my mirrors out. Anyway, I didn't have a trailer and there was no parking on the job site, small area, so I parked along a fairly busy street away from the job. Finished pouring concrete, walked back to my truck and what the ****, pieces of mirror housing on the ground, and the mirror hanging by the wires. they are heated mirrors with the turn signal in the glass. Didn't find any other pieces laying around so not sure what damage it did to the other vehicle. Called the shop and they had it replaced within 2 days.

We'll Dang, hate that Vince. At least it wasn't your personal vehicle. This the same truck that you built that torpedo proof step on the back of? If so, you could of fabricated a new mirror out of I-beam and stainless steal.

You know, kinda like the 6 Million Dollar Man, only a truck instead.

I do try and take care of my work truck. It is a '07 with 260000 miles on it. Does not burn a drop of oil. The only real issue I had after I got it was the transmission needed replacing at 190000. Other guys at work are constently getting in to accidents or needing new motors.

We tested the waters with camping in a pop up for two years. We even did a trip to FW January 2015! Sold pop up and just purchased a 2008 3/4 Suburban. Kids are grown and were looking for a TT under 30ft, 1 slide, no bunks, toral weight loaded around 7500. I think ive flopped on which TT to get over a dozen times. My gut takes me back to a Keystone 24rkpr. Closest dealer unfortunately is a Camping World. Other pick is a Sporttrek smaller dealer 8 miles from house. Any preferences to either TT or dealing with CW?

I'm pretty familiar with the SportTrek. Quality of construction is inline with Sandpiper, Outback, Cougar, Spree Connect. It has laminated sidewalls and cheaper-built front and back walls and slide end walls. Venture RV is owned by KZ - which should provide better warranty service than Keystone. And I'm guessing any dealer should be better to deal with than Camping World. The Bullet is a different animal - built to be much lighter so the floor would be thinner - and most likely laminated. Not really a concern, as most TTs are going to laminated floors now. Comparable products to the Bullet would be the Rockwood Ultra Lite, Open Range Ultra Lite, Grand Design Imagine, Jayco White Hawk.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look for nearby Rockwood, Grand Design, Jayco or Open Range dealers to directly compare to the Bullet before pulling the trigger. Having said all that, I'd own either of these trailers if the price was right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!