*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Geeze Randy... In a joking way and those who know my truck's license plate will understand... you're dead to me with that new vehicle. LOL Sorry to hear you traded your 450 in for a GM 3500 Best of luck.

@PaHunter Oh I get it and understand why some would be looking into MDT/HDT trucks for their hauling needs. However, I am more shocked that you didn't even snicker at 36 pounds of dirt in the back of my truck! I saw that typo and said that ain't right. LOL If I was overloaded at 36 pounds I got other problems.

I told the wife last night I cannot wait to hook up the trailer and tow it to our next camping destination.

Geeze Randy... In a joking way and those who know my truck's license plate will understand... you're dead to me with that new vehicle. LOL Sorry to hear you traded your 450 in for a GM 3500 Best of luck.

@PaHunter Oh I get it and understand why some would be looking into MDT/HDT trucks for their hauling needs. However, I am more shocked that you didn't even snicker at 36 pounds of dirt in the back of my truck! I saw that typo and said that ain't right. LOL If I was overloaded at 36 pounds I got other problems.

I told the wife last night I cannot wait to hook up the trailer and tow it to our next camping destination.

Our first trip of the season, well it was supposed to be close and local. That may have just changed and may now be a 10 hour jaunt. Our biggest trip is still by far this year the trip to GSP for Memorial Day weekend.
I knew you had made a typo, wasn't going to harass you for that one.
Guess I need to take the cover back off, repair it, as the 70mph windstorm did some damage to it. And can hopefully start loading up for the camping season, although still can not dewinterize as it is still below freezing nightly.

... Like this past week a couple pulled in to their first campground with a 2500 series truck, a 44 ft toy hauler with Harleys in the back, for their maiden voyage.

Saw something similar about a year ago at Stephen Foster SP in Florida.. Couple of ladies camped next to us in a 26' TT, pulled it down from Canada with V6 Toyota Highlander.

Today’s question. After some 37 years of having some 6 motor home, I am going to a large (43 foot) 5th wheel pushing close to 17,000 lbs.

I am not a Diesel engine fan, but not completely closed to the idea. I am looking a two different Dodge 3/4 ton trucks that are capable of towing this rig. One has the 6.4 heavy duty HEMI and the other the 6.9 Cummings. Now I have heard all the usual, you need a diesel for the torque and better fuel mileage, blah, blah... I currently have a 38’ motor home, that I put a 350 lb motorcycle on the back, towing a 4 door Dodge Dakota with a golf cart in the rear, powered by the Triton V10 and I am well within its combined gross weight. I am not trying to run a race and if it lugs some in the mountains, so what.
The real question I have is what kind of realistic fuel mileage will I get on gas verses diesel so I can honestly figure if a diesel is worth the extra cost of the diesel truck, considering the price of diesel along with the DEF fluid.

Fuel mileage towing 17k lbs with a gasser. 5mpg is my guess. The real question is 1) What Ram 3/4 ton truck can support the hitch weight of a FW weighing 17k lbs. 17k lb FW will have a hitch weight over 3K. Are you talking a 17k GVWR or dry weight?

My new ride. 2016 F350 6.2 Gas 4X4 XLT with Premium XLT package, 5th wheel prep, snow plow prep, FX4, and 3.73s in the rear end.

View attachment 308414

Very nice trucks! :thumbsup2
And with trucks likes these I was almost ashamed of posting my new (to me) truck, but for a daily driver and towing a 5K hybrid TT, I like it.:teeth:

NewTruck.jpg

2015 F150 XL 5.0L with 3.55 axle.

Now for the Numbers
GVWR 7050
AWR 3375/3800
Payload (sticker) 2173

Actuals from CAT scale mostly empty, but full tank of gas
GVW 5000
AW 2920/2080
Payload 2050

I can't wait for my fort trips in August and December!

Very nice trucks! :thumbsup2
And with trucks likes these I was almost ashamed of posting my new (to me) truck, but for a daily driver and towing a 5K hybrid TT, I like it.:teeth:

View attachment 311872

2015 F150 XL 5.0L with 3.55 axle.

Now for the Numbers
GVWR 7050
AWR 3375/3800
Payload (sticker) 2173

Actuals from CAT scale mostly empty, but full tank of gas
GVW 5000
AW 2920/2080
Payload 2050

I can't wait for my fort trips in August and December!

Nice ride. You should be rated to pull around 9k lbs with that config. Strong truck.

Nice ride. You should be rated to pull around 9k lbs with that config. Strong truck.

9.2K according to the Ford towing guide. But I would not want to try a TT that heavy with it maybe 6-7K max. To much wind resistance. I might be willing to do a flat bed cargo trailer, or boat getting up closer to the 9K mark.

9.2K according to the Ford towing guide. But I would not want to try a TT that heavy with it maybe 6-7K max. To much wind resistance. I might be willing to do a flat bed cargo trailer, or boat getting up closer to the 9K mark.

Agree with that line of thinking. Even with sway control it's best to not push the limit.

I too agree. We had an F-150 XLT to tow our 27' TT at GW of around 7.2K and while it towed it okay, when we upgraded to the F250 Lariat, the Drive was much more comfortable (towing and interior since the Lariat has more bells and whistles).

Of course we no longer have the 27' TT and now have a 38' TT. While I'd love a Bigger truck (and even Diesel) It's hard to justify since it's also my daily driver.

20170618_112213_1522546399711_resized.jpg

This was taken last summer during a camping trip. As you can tell from the picture, not exactly the correct match up here. Could end up with the tail wagging the dog.
Two weeks and the camping season will be kicking off.

^ That car must be stronger than it looks.

Just hit 5K miles on the F-350. Got 11.6mpg on the trip back from Galveston today. Personal best pulling the camper with any truck.

Sounds like a good tail wind...it feels good when your mileage is up there.

11.6 isn't bad at all! My 6.4 F450 got 6.3 mpg it grossed out at 31k, all 4 of us, 1 dog, 2 tanks of diesel (140 gals), 48 volt golf cart, and my basement full of stuff on the CAT scale. I' ready to see how this Duramax handles it. All my buddies have them and swears by them, so I'm thinking either it' a good truck or they haven't drove a real truck yet haha! Trying to make up my mind if I'm gonna use the Chevy or Peterbilt to go to GSP in May, it depends on how much trouble Tiggerdad and I can get into...:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter