*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Wow! That's freakin' awesome!

I'd LOVE to have a medium duty truck eventually. Used commercial cab fire trucks can be gotten CHEAP. I'd feel right at home in it, too!

DS would love that cabover o_O

She complains about the climb up in the F350. :D

My camper also sits in storage about 2 miles from the house. We pay $1/ft, so $42/month for uncovered. I only know of one covered place anywhere near me. It's about 30 minutes away. They had a booth at the RV show. When I asked about pricing, they said $250/month. I said I'll keep my cover on it outside for that.

j

Wander how one of the Isuzu COE crew cab MDT would be for hauling......

I am good with the F350, but man that would be a killer turning radius for parking.

Wow! That's freakin' awesome!

I'd LOVE to have a medium duty truck eventually. Used commercial cab fire trucks can be gotten CHEAP. I'd feel right at home in it, too!

38975491_10105797582899320_723496101528731648_n.jpg
Was another one for sale. And no our Volvo is doing great.

Hey Guys...long time lurker of this thread!

After being a solo tent camper for years, I'm making the leap and buying a pop-up trailer and vehicle to tow it with. The trailer I'm in the market to buy is this one: http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=386&Image=15975&ModelID=944#Main

What is the recommended vehicle to tow this with? I have to drive down from Canada through the mountains so I want something that will have good mileage.

Hey Guys...long time lurker of this thread!

After being a solo tent camper for years, I'm making the leap and buying a pop-up trailer and vehicle to tow it with. The trailer I'm in the market to buy is this one: http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=386&Image=15975&ModelID=944#Main

What is the recommended vehicle to tow this with? I have to drive down from Canada through the mountains so I want something that will have good mileage.
Which model? It looks like the weights vary from 2000 lbs to 2700 lbs. Most anything, crossover and up, will pull that weight.

Which model? It looks like the weights vary from 2000 lbs to 2700 lbs. Most anything, crossover and up, will pull that weight.

I'm looking at the A122S which has the front storage
  • Hitch weight: 284 lb.
  • Unloaded Vehicle Weight: 2120 lb.
  • Cargo Carrying Capacity: 1164 lb.
I've been looking around at new to me vehicles but most of the hitches are rated for 1000 lbs when it comes to SUV's or crossovers.

If the hitch has a 2" receiver, it is a class III or class IV. Class III hitches are rated to pull 6000lbs (gross trailer weight), with a maximum of 600lbs tongue weight. Class IV hitches are rated to pull up to 10,000lbs, with a maximum of 1000lbs tongue weight.

Class I and II hitches have a 1-1/4" receiver, but even a class I has 2000lbs towing capacity. I think you may have looked at the tongue weight of those vehicles, and it may have had a Class IV hitch, with 1000lbs tongue weight.

If the hitch has a 2" receiver, it is a class III or class IV. Class III hitches are rated to pull 6000lbs (gross trailer weight), with a maximum of 600lbs tongue weight. Class IV hitches are rated to pull up to 10,000lbs, with a maximum of 1000lbs tongue weight.

Class I and II hitches have a 1-1/4" receiver, but even a class I has 2000lbs towing capacity. I think you may have looked at the tongue weight of those vehicles, and it may have had a Class IV hitch, with 1000lbs tongue weight.

Ok..I'll try to remember that when I'm shopping for cars :)

I've been looking around at new to me vehicles but most of the hitches are rated for 1000 lbs when it comes to SUV's or crossovers.

Class IV hitches are rated to pull up to 10,000lbs, with a maximum of 1000lbs tongue weight.
Sluf covered it pretty well, but to clarify when you saw the hitch is "rated for 1000 lbs", that likely is the tongue/hitch weight and not the total weight of the trailer. Trailer weights and ratings are some of the most confusing things to sort out because there are many names for the same thing.

It looks like the max weight of the trailer (trailer it self and all the "stuff" you can put in) is just below 3500 lbs. (Unloaded weight + Cargo Carrying Capacity- your "stuff"). That fits with the listed hitch (tongue) weight of 284. 1100 lbs of stuff is a lot for a smallish pop up. I generally have about 1000 lbs of "stuff" in my 5th wheel. That includes, chairs, 50 gallons of water (in the holding tank), grills, Mickey Lamp, clothes, food and "junk". I would look for a vehicle that has at least a 3500 lb tow rating. That should include many SUVs, smaller pick ups and some cars.

j

Well being the late comer to this party, as everyone above has covered most everything else I will just chime in with the following. If you are looking at a front storage unit, be aware loading up that storage area will increase your tongue weight some. Especially if you threw something like a horseshoe set in there. Enjoy once you start, it gets addicting.....

Sluf covered it pretty well, but to clarify when you saw the hitch is "rated for 1000 lbs", that likely is the tongue/hitch weight and not the total weight of the trailer. Trailer weights and ratings are some of the most confusing things to sort out because there are many names for the same thing.

It looks like the max weight of the trailer (trailer it self and all the "stuff" you can put in) is just below 3500 lbs. (Unloaded weight + Cargo Carrying Capacity- your "stuff"). That fits with the listed hitch (tongue) weight of 284. 1100 lbs of stuff is a lot for a smallish pop up. I generally have about 1000 lbs of "stuff" in my 5th wheel. That includes, chairs, 50 gallons of water (in the holding tank), grills, Mickey Lamp, clothes, food and "junk". I would look for a vehicle that has at least a 3500 lb tow rating. That should include many SUVs, smaller pick ups and some cars.

j

Ok! Yes this is confusing territory. We've had trailers for years before we bought our cottage in Muskoka Ontario but I'm kicking myself for never paying attention when dad was around. Part of me is seriously leaning towards a Dodge Ram 1500 which will have no problem towing the pop-up. But budget may make me choose something like a Jeep Cherokee or Ford Explorer (although I swore I would never drive one again after losing 3 trannies in my first one)

Well being the late comer to this party, as everyone above has covered most everything else I will just chime in with the following. If you are looking at a front storage unit, be aware loading up that storage area will increase your tongue weight some. Especially if you threw something like a horseshoe set in there. Enjoy once you start, it gets addicting.....

Front storage is strictly for the "outdoor stuff" like chairs, mat, and anything else that's light and sandy/wet. Never thought that it would affect tongue weight though so thanks for that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!