Trying to add my mom (76) to my trip...

shaluminati

Earning My Ears
So my wife and I with two kids are staying at Boardwalk Villas in late August from Sat to Sat in a studio. I think a full week is too long for my mom, so I was actually thinking of having her fly down on Tues for the tail end of the trip so it's just less overall for her.

I was thinking about getting her a room at Pop Century (a studio at Boardwalk just for her would be a little over our budget). I chose Pop cause it's cheaper and still has the skyliner, which would make meeting up so much easier. I'd probably just pay for ride shares for her on MK days.

A couple of things... For someone who is 'afraid' of traveling (but every time she ever has, she always says ”i had the best time!"), do you think I'm pushing it by getting her a room in a different resort? Also, if we do wind up doing this, how does it work as far as tickets and stuff? Would I be able to link her tickets to mine to book rides, etc? Anything else I'm not thinking of? Has anyone done anything like this?

74-year old here. I travel quite a bit by myself, and I would not want to be that far away from the rest of my family. Plus, she would likely not be able to use the pools with you all. Have you thought about Swan or Dolphin? Right next door. Or maybe renting vacation club points? Either of those would be similar to moderate resort pricing. But likely a bit more than Pop. Once She has tickets, you can add her to friends and family, and do all the ride booking. I think you might have to spet up an MDE account for her, link her reservation and ticket. Also consider how much walking she does: last trip I found out the first day I was not ready to walk 20,000 steps each day. Renting an ECV might be a good thing.

Does you mom see the kids often? As a grandma, it's more fun to be just down the hall for grandkids to visit. How old are the kids? We've been on a few trips, where I can see the room where kids/grandkids are staying. With us both watching, the grandkids traveled back and forth. Maybe eat a bowl of cereal in our room while mom and dad got ready. Maybe one of the kids could sleep in grandma's room.

But of course I understand the cost issue.

74-year old here. I travel quite a bit by myself, and I would not want to be that far away from the rest of my family. Plus, she would likely not be able to use the pools with you all. Have you thought about Swan or Dolphin? Right next door. Or maybe renting vacation club points? Either of those would be similar to moderate resort pricing. But likely a bit more than Pop. Once She has tickets, you can add her to friends and family, and do all the ride booking. I think you might have to spet up an MDE account for her, link her reservation and ticket. Also consider how much walking she does: last trip I found out the first day I was not ready to walk 20,000 steps each day. Renting an ECV might be a good thing.
Thanks! Funny, after I posted this, I checked Swan and Dolphin and the price wasn't that much more than Pop. So I think I'd do that actually. I kinda forgot about those resorts, tbh.

As for ecv, I don't think my mom would ever go for that. But the way I have my vacation mapped out, we'd do our all day park days before she got there. So the days she was there, we'd be much more relaxed and not there all day.

Swan is more compact than Dolphin, and a bit closer. The difference is not great, however. If you end up doing any parks with your mom, call Swan to get the Disney confirmation number to put in MDE. And also her ticket.

So my wife and I with two kids are staying at Boardwalk Villas in late August from Sat to Sat in a studio. I think a full week is too long for my mom, so I was actually thinking of having her fly down on Tues for the tail end of the trip so it's just less overall for her.

I was thinking about getting her a room at Pop Century (a studio at Boardwalk just for her would be a little over our budget). I chose Pop cause it's cheaper and still has the skyliner, which would make meeting up so much easier. I'd probably just pay for ride shares for her on MK days.

A couple of things... For someone who is 'afraid' of traveling (but every time she ever has, she always says ”i had the best time!"), do you think I'm pushing it by getting her a room in a different resort? Also, if we do wind up doing this, how does it work as far as tickets and stuff? Would I be able to link her tickets to mine to book rides, etc? Anything else I'm not thinking of? Has anyone done anything like this?
Ride shares for your mom… all by herself?
Nope. I took a Lyft one time and I’ll never do it again. Luckily I was with a friend. It was a terrible and scary experience.

I am 67 and would not want to do a rideshare. Staying in the Swan/Dolphin while you are at the Boardwalk would be ok; staying at Pop, not at all. Staying at the same place would be so much better. I would chip in to make up the difference in price to be able to stay in the same resort. Have you proposed that option?

Since you mentioned she is afraid of traveling, how will she do in the airports alone? Will you arrange the transportation to the resort? There can be a lot of stress when dealing with all the travel by yourself. Talk to her about it; she might not be interested when she realizes what she will be doing without support next to her. Travelling down with you and hanging out by the pool for a week might be wonderful for her. I would love that.

I am 67 and would not want to do a rideshare. Staying in the Swan/Dolphin while you are at the Boardwalk would be ok; staying at Pop, not at all. Staying at the same place would be so much better. I would chip in to make up the difference in price to be able to stay in the same resort. Have you proposed that option?

Since you mentioned she is afraid of traveling, how will she do in the airports alone? Will you arrange the transportation to the resort? There can be a lot of stress when dealing with all the travel by yourself. Talk to her about it; she might not be interested when she realizes what she will be doing without support next to her. Travelling down with you and hanging out by the pool for a week might be wonderful for her. I would love that.
Thanks for the response.

After a lot of talking, we're gonna do Swan/Dolphin for her from Tues thru Sat. My sister or my aunt is going to take her to the airport. She's going to pack light so she doesn't have to check a bag, which I think will alleviate almost all of the solo flying stress.

I will likely set up Sunshine Flyer for her since that seems to be the most "fool proof." And then she'll be traveling home with us on Saturday.

I plan on heading back to Boardwalk midday on Tues, so I will meet her at the resort and help her with check in and everything like that.

I think we have most things covered. Obviously there Will be unexpected things that pop up. But I figure if plan ahead for as much as possible, we should be okay. We have easy days planned for her first 2 days (MNSSHP and then evening at HS for Fantasmic). The last two days will be repeats for us (MK and EPCOT) so I think we should be a little more relaxed and just doing what we want to do again or missed the first days.

Nobody has mentioned this yet but maybe your mom would enjoy having one of the grandkids stay with her if they are old enough and your mom is able to. I guess it depends also if you are hitting the parks heavy. She may be ready for some alone time at the end of the day

My kids are 6 and 3. Not sure it would be much of a help for her. Lol! But definitely a nice thought for when they get a little older.

My kids are 6 and 3. Not sure it would be much of a help for her. Lol! But definitely a nice thought for when they get a little older.
Yep, too young. My 6yo would have been more work than help. She may enjoy having some time to herself to relax after a long day. Another thought though and maybe this isn’t allowed but can you put her on your actual hotel reservation at Boardwalk villas so she can use the pools and such ? Not sure if they can “technically” sleep 5 or not.

We had five at Boardwalk, but that was years ago so not sure if that’s still allowed. How about a 1 or 2 bedroom unit? It’s always so much more fun all staying together though pricey I’m sure.

We had five at Boardwalk, but that was years ago so not sure if that’s still allowed. How about a 1 or 2 bedroom unit? It’s always so much more fun all staying together though pricey I’m sure.
Yeah... I think next time, I'd plan it better and get a 1 bedroom from the jump. This time, I booked her at the Swan so it's only like a 5 minute walk for her. Not that bad and about the same as some of the bigger resorts in Bahamas, etc could be.

Do remind her that she can also take the boat to BWI if she prefers not to walk any and you all can boat to/from Epcot and DHS together. My mother in law is 70 and probably does 15-20,000 steps a day so I realize everyone's walkability at WDW is different but should she get tired, it's nice to know she has that and doesn't always have to walk to BWI.

As far as her ticket, did you buy it or did she? Does she have her own MDE login account? You can add her to your family pretty easily if she has her own. Here's some helpful info

https://www.kennythepirate.com/2023...d-family-on-the-my-disney-experience-app-now/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter